I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 326 total)
  • Author

EP98
    Participant

I already calibrated the Sony’s picture modes which I use for its in built apps.

But when I have my PC connected I want to create a 3D LUT for more fine tuned calibration.

With Wondows HDR off mad vr doesn’t switch to HDR.

stama
    Participant

madVR does switch the display to HDR10 mode when using nvidia video cards. When it works, displaying its OSD (Ctrl+J) will show (NV HDR) instead of (Windows HDR).

Perhaps there are some settings which prevent it to do that on your system. Check that you have “passthrough HDR to display” and “send HDR metadata to the display” in madVR device “hdr” tab, and that you have “use Direct3D 11 for presentation” in the “rendering, general settings” tab. You will likely want to have “enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode” in the “rendering, general settings” tab as well. I am not sure, but maybe you need to have 10 bit output forced in the nvidia control panel as well for it to work.

In madTPG, the switch should happen as soon as you click on the HDR button in its toolbar. Sony TVs switch quite quickly to HDR compared to LG TVs. Press the i+ (Info) key on the remote (or Display on US remotes) and it should say that it’s in HDR10 mode.

EP98
    Participant

I got mad vr to properly switch to hdr. But now it’s peak is only 150 nits. I won’t go higher and colour gamut still gets screwed up.

EP98
    Participant

Anyone know how to full screen Netflix without it shutting off color managment?

Raj S
    Participant

Anyone know how to full screen Netflix without it shutting off color managment?

I don’t think there is a fix but I can at least give some tips. For starters, don’t use the Netflix app from Windows Store. Use a browser instead.

If you’re using Chrome, Firefox, you don’t need to do anything as it’s using Widevine DRM by default. If you use Edge, go into the browser flags and disable PlayReady DRM and enable Widevine DRM.

This probably won’t fix the color management on Netflix but it may fix color management shutting off on other streaming services.

If you really want correction for Netflix, use something else like Novideo_sRGB or just Windows display profiles (both correct grayscale only).

The Real MC Kid
    Participant

When Windows HDR is enabled, the program is disabled from applying the LUT. Program works as intended when Windows HDR is disabled.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi friends. I’m Miguel Angel, from Spain. I’m a total beginner about calibration on Displaycal, sorry for the inconvenience. I bought an Asus OLED laptop, Asus Vivobook Pro K3500PC (15.6 inch, FHD 1920 x 1080 px, 60 Hz, OLED, glossy, non-touch, 400-nits, Samsung SDC4161 panel, DCI-P3 100%, Pantone validated ). As surely you have already guessed, my main concern is about oversaturation in non color managed apps. I have some questions about that:

– I ‘m used to i1profiler software, because I have a i1Display Plus colorimeter. My question if is can I profile first my laptop with i1profiler and after to create 3d LUT from that icm file. Otherwise, in Displaycal, what are the suggested settings for an Oled laptop as mine?

Thanks in advance and keep up this superb program

Regards

Vincent
    Participant

-RGB OLED correction in i1Profiler or DisplayCAL.

-Since i1Profiler make D50 white + CHAD profiles, if you use DisplayCAL standalone app for making LUT3D use relatve colorimetric since I’m not sure it will pick & apply CHAD to recover actual white. Try abs, but relative is the safest choice.
    As always,
    source colorspace: colorspace to simulate
    destination colorspace: display colorspace
    if you embed VCGT data you must disable system wide GPU grey calibration untill you disable LUT3D, if you do not embed that, you can keep with system wide GPU grey calibration.
    Of course all color managed apps will stop working properly with LUT3D active unless you set as default profile the simulated colorspace (and you’ll need to have VCGT embeded in LUT3D)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot @Vincent, but I don’t understand what does it mean system wide Gpu calibration. How can I disable this setting?

In another hand, how can I set as default profile the simulated colorspace?

Sorry for the inconvenience

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks a lot @Vincent, but I don’t understand what does it mean system wide Gpu calibration. How can I disable this setting?

GPU grey calibration. The calibration of greys achieved through an ICC profile with VCGT tag. The one you get if you calibrete a display with i1Profiler or Displaycal.

GPU calibration loader from Xrite (XRGamma) is flawled, banding even on AMDs. Even if you use i1Profiler to generate profiles I’ll use DisplayCAL calibration loader.

IDNK what are you asking.

Do you mean “make my display behave like sRGB (example) on every app color managed or not”?

-Create a LUT3D, source =sRGB, destination=your custom ICM profile, embed VCGT
    -assign as defaul display profile on OS “sRGB” profile
    -load & activate the LUT3D you created.

If you mean “i want to keep my custom i1Profiler profile for color managed apps and sometimes make it behave like a sRGB display for games, knowing that my color managed apps will look wrong untill I stop sRGB simulation”:

-Create a LUT3D, source =sRGB, destination=your custom ICM profile, DO NOT embed VCGT
    -load & activate the LUT3D you created only when you want to simulate sRGB on non color managed apps.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

GPU grey calibration. The calibration of greys achieved through an ICC profile with VCGT tag. The one you get if you calibrete a display with i1Profiler or Displaycal.

GPU calibration loader from Xrite (XRGamma) is flawled, banding even on AMDs. Even if you use i1Profiler to generate profiles I’ll use DisplayCAL calibration loader.

IDNK what are you asking.

Do you mean “make my display behave like sRGB (example) on every app color managed or not”?

-Create a LUT3D, source =sRGB, destination=your custom ICM profile, embed VCGT
    -assign as defaul display profile on OS “sRGB” profile
    -load & activate the LUT3D you created.

If you mean “i want to keep my custom i1Profiler profile for color managed apps and sometimes make it behave like a sRGB display for games, knowing that my color managed apps will look wrong untill I stop sRGB simulation”:

-Create a LUT3D, source =sRGB, destination=your custom ICM profile, DO NOT embed VCGT
    -load & activate the LUT3D you created only when you want to simulate sRGB on non color managed apps.

Great! Thanks for your explanation. Finally, i profiled with DisplayCal instead i1Profiler. About GPU calibration, my laptop uses most of time Intel Iris XE integrated graphics, not dedicated GPU (RTX 3050), but i don’t know when Nvidia card is active  how could this to affect to srgb clamp (maybe DWM will crash).  Regarding 3D LUT, i created one with embeded and one with not embeded VCGT.

Best regards

Anonymous
    Inactive

Working now! Thanks to the OP and Vincent for your great support

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anonymous
    Inactive

@dogelition Have you planned any update for Windows 11 22H2?

Skuba Sam
    Participant

I’ve been using this on a windows 10 laptop with perfect results.

I decided to try it on my spare laptop that was running windows 7.   I couldn’t get it to work so I decided to finally upgrade it to windows 10.  Well after a fresh install I cannot get it to apply correctly.   I was able to create a proper lut file (verified with the laptop that works, so I know it’s changing things) but it does nothing on the other one.   I shows being applied to the display but no changes to the colors happen.   Has anyone ran into this?

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS