How to find backlight type? Dell 27 inch

Home Forums Help and Support How to find backlight type? Dell 27 inch

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Neal
    Participant

I am a new user of DisplayCAL.  I have two different models of Dell monitor on a windows 11 desktop PC,  a Dell UP2716D and a Dell U2719D.  I tried my first calibration with displayCAL set to AUTO, and there is a different color cast if I slide an open folder white window half way between both monitors.   I want to retry, NOT using AUTO, but picking the proper type of backlight for each display model, in the DisplayCAL menu.  I am not sure where to find information about the type of backlight for each model display.

Thanks for any guidance or tips as I learn what to do next.

Neal

Vincent
    Participant

UP2716D uses a now obsolete hybrid GBLED-PFS/KSF phosphor backlight. You can get some CCSS corrections on community database (https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/), try to find one with native gamut you can plot them with “i” button next to correction in DisplayCAL or with ArgyllCMS tool “specplot”.

If U2719D is Dell’s “sRGB only” counterpart to the widegamut segment, then it is likely to use “White LED” backlight, bundled with default imported set of corrections. Import them from tools menu if you had not. Some new models of several brands use PFS/KSF phosphor backlight even in the “sRGB only” segment, then simulate sRGB by primaries mixing, unlikely on that model, too old, buc check community database.

Only use CCSS corrections from colorimeter database, CCMX were meant to be used only for the colorimeter used while making them.
    If you do not find a custom native gamut correction for UP2716D you can try to use RG_phosphor bundled with DisplayCAL once you import them.

Also you can try Dell hardware calibration software for UP2716D. It should be using GB-LED (RG_phosphor) as correction. Since that software modifies brightness after calibrating & writing HW luts you may get a whietpoint drift from your desired target (recorded by colorimeter), it that case you’ll have to compensate target whiteppoint to an offset to account the drift in WP coordinates as you raise brightness OSD control.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS