I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 326 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

What is the advantage of doing this? Just a higher quality LUT? If I’m understanding correctly, I’d create the lut, then set my displaycal profile loader to the standard srgb profile, then apply the lut for my display using your tool?

Also, many questions … do I want to calibrate with displaycal and set my tone response curve to “as measured” to avoid generating a 1D LUT? I suppose having a 1D LUT still applies to exclusive fullscreen applications?

Actually my display doesn’t have a working srgb mode. The srgb mode is just “less wide mode”. This should actually create a correct srgb clamped gamut, no?

Advantage is to  limit colorspace to sRGB or other smaller than native colorspaces and to avoid 1dLUT GPU (ICC profile grey calibration) that happens on some non AMD cards.

Vincent
    Participant

What is the advantage of doing this? Just a higher quality LUT? If I’m understanding correctly, I’d create the lut, then set my displaycal profile loader to the standard srgb profile, then apply the lut for my display using your tool?

Also, many questions … do I want to calibrate with displaycal and set my tone response curve to “as measured” to avoid generating a 1D LUT? I suppose having a 1D LUT still applies to exclusive fullscreen applications?

I do not think you even need Displaycal loader running as it should work independently of it.  I got it to work by disabling Displaycal loader and removing the ICC profile in the Colour Management options.  The correct colours were applied and I got the minimize and apply commands to work but I am having difficulty getting it to run when windows starts.  I have placed the shortcut (with the appropriate commands) in the start-up folder and also created a new task in task scheduler but it will not start with windows or login.  I also wish that the programs would automatically disable/enable when HDR mode is detected/disabled.

EDIT:  Set tone curve to Gamma 2.2 as well as check Apply calibration (VCGT).  As I mentioned you do not need to have Displaycal loader running.

There are some scenarios when you do not have to disable 1DLUT calibration loader but usually this situations require:
    -LUT3D cannot have applied VCGT
    -your desktop 1D LUT calibration should have no banding (mostly AMD cards)
    -you only need LUT3D colorspace simulation for certian apps (mostly games) but otherwise you want to use full native gamut of your display (photo etc)

zunderholz
    Participant

Thanks. I have an nvidia gpu, so in theory I might get much nicer greyscale calibration to my chosen gamma using a 3D lut with this tool. I’ll give it a shot.

zunderholz
    Participant

I made two LUTs, one for my primary monitor and one for my tv that’s hooked up via hdmi. The primary monitor works great. Whenever I try to apply a LUT to my secondary screen, the tv, both my screens go black and then the application tells me the LUTs are inactive. Even if I clear the LUTs, I won’t be able to apply a LUT to my primary screen unless I reboot windows.

Visual quality is very nice when it was working.

dogelition
    Participant

Very strange – seems like it crashes/breaks DWM somehow. I don’t really know what could be causing this. The only thing I can think of that could cause it to crash in the first place (assuming the LUT files aren’t broken) is if you have multiple displays running off of different GPUs, as my code assumes that the D3D device always stays the same.

Does this also happen if the TV is the only active display?

zunderholz
    Participant

I’ll take a look later and try with the tv as the only active display. I’ll also generate a new LUT for the tv and see if for some reason 3DLUT Maker gave me a bad LUT.

zunderholz
    Participant

I made a new cube LUT for my tv. It seems to work fine unless I try to play a movie using the Netflix UWP app. If I watch youtube content in browser, it seems to be working and the DwmLutGui application says status is active. If I drag Netflix over to my tv, when I try to play content both of my monitors go black for a second and the windows reload. Then the DwmLutGui reports status as inactive. I only have a LUT applied to my tv, the second screen.

If I disconnect my primary display so the TV becomes the primary, and refresh the DwmLutGui application so it only shows one line for the tv, everything seems to work fine. I can apply the LUT and watch Netflix and everything works as expect. Reconnect the primary display and it breaks again and the error returns.

My primary display is  gsync compatible (freesync?) via displayport and the tv is a samsung hdtv via hdmi.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by zunderholz.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by zunderholz.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

dogelition
    Participant

Do other UWP applications like VLC also cause these crashes? This sounds like it could be related to the DRM used by Netflix, but it’s weird that it only seems to happen with multiple active displays…

zunderholz
    Participant

I’ll see what I have in terms of UWP apps to play with and post an update.

zunderholz
    Participant

Really learning a lot after trying this out. I didn’t realize there were issues with Nvidia drivers in terms of introducing banding because of the 8bit 1D LUT. I was just tried disabling my calibration profile by resetting the gamma table and I still had some very subtle banding. Turns out by adjusting a setting on my monitor called “Black Equalizer” which boosts gamma at lower signal levels. Hardware Unboxed had recommended adjusting this setting to get a gamma curve closer to srgb, but  it seems like it has some drawbacks. Doesn’t seem like adjusting the RGB controls introduce any noticeable banding. Even applying a 3D lut with this application, I probably would have still had some banding just because of how I’d adjusted the controls on my monitor.

Za-zaam Flash
    Participant

This should be hung on ntdll.dll like all those other handles.  Why in the hell doesn’t Microsoft have a matrixing/lut loader for the information display already? Is there a large user base of people using windows that is blind? Many thanks to this portable executuable’s author(s). Very useful.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by Za-zaam Flash. Reason: grammar

mat a
    Participant

Hi

I am very interested in trying that. However, the whole compiling/ generating a GUI with Visual Basics may be too difficult!

I understand that one is not allowed to post files on here but could someone kindly send me a compiled version?

That would be really appreciated.

Thanks

dogelition
    Participant

Hi

I am very interested in trying that. However, the whole compiling/ generating a GUI with Visual Basics may be too difficult!

I understand that one is not allowed to post files on here but could someone kindly send me a compiled version?

That would be really appreciated.

Thanks

The repo has download links for the binaries. On the right, click on “v2.0” under Releases and then download the release.zip archive.

mat a
    Participant

My bad. Thank you! Will this work in games too or do I still need to use reshade+ 3DLUT and place an exception in the loader?

Is it better to just uninstall Displaycal and loader?

Thank you.

dogelition
    Participant

My bad. Thank you! Will this work in games too or do I still need to use reshade+ 3DLUT and place an exception in the loader?

Is it better to just uninstall Displaycal and loader?

Thank you.

It’ll work with anything that’s not running in exclusive fullscreen (though with a noticeable performance impact in games). I wouldn’t recommend having your ICC profile active while using a 3D LUT, as color managed applications will then be color corrected twice, resulting in undersaturated colors. Just unassign the profile from your monitor and generate a 3D LUT with the VCGT data applied.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS