I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 11 posts - 316 through 326 (of 326 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

If you apply that Resolve GUI LUT3D in DWMLUT you must ste as display profile whatever you are simulating.
    In resolve you’ll need a LUT3D that transforms from Resolve video colorspace to simulated colorspace. (they are idealized colorspaces, no they have no VCGT)

An example, wide gamut monitor and you want to simulate an imac screen.
    DWMLUT simulating from a XZYLUT native gamut to DisplayP3, applied systemwide. DisplayP3 as OS profile.
    Resolve with Rec709 g2.4 video and as LUT3D a Rec709 g2.4->DisplayP3.

Another example, sRGB simulation on desktop.
    DWMLUT simulating from a XZYLUT native gamut to sRGB, applied systemwide. sRGB as OS profile.
    Resolve with Rec709 g2.4 video and as LUT3D a Rec709 g2.4->sRGB.

Of course if you want to simulate Rec709 g2.4 on desktop you won’t need Resolve LUT3D for Rec709 work… or if you want an sRGB screen g2.2. and want to work on Resolve on rec709 g2.2

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Vincent.

mbze430
    Participant

Thanks Vincent.  I just spent the last 3+ hrs reading this thread and figuring out how to verify the 3D LUT with DWMLut.  I think I am good now.  Even though, my sRGB simulated seems to have higher DE than my DCI-P3/DCI-D65 ones.

My original 3D LUT profile from the FAQ for the Resolve workflow that I created was for rec709.  I have been using that to convert to other colorspace. Maybe I need to redo the entire 5000+ patches with everything set to Native?

My question is now is there a FAQ or a workflow that will work in HDR mode in Win10/11?    I read in the use of madTPG to get the 10bit patches but I dont’ think I remember anyone saying how to implement it into DisplayCal’s test pattern system.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by mbze430.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by mbze430.

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks Vincent.  I just spent the last 3+ hrs reading this thread and figuring out how to verify the 3D LUT with DWMLut.

Measurement report: simulation profile (source colorspace in LUT3D) + use simulation as display profile

Even though, my sRGB simulated seems to have higher DE than my DCI-P3/DCI-D65 ones.

If your LUT3D was Rec709 simulating the above wil result in L* errors validatin againts sRGB.

My original 3D LUT profile from the FAQ for the Resolve workflow that I created was for rec709.  I have been using that to convert to other colorspace. Maybe I need to redo the entire 5000+ patches with everything set to Native?

I wrote the opposite. If you want to apply DWMLUT system wide do not aim to rec709g2.4. Aim to whatever you want on desktop. Then you may chain to whatever you want in Resolve project.

My question is now is there a FAQ or a workflow that will work in HDR mode in Win10/11?    I read in the use of madTPG to get the 10bit patches but I dont’ think I remember anyone saying how to implement it into DisplayCal’s test pattern system.

Windows is applying HDR->SDR conversion for non HDR content… hence unless you use an HDR test pattern generator profiling won’t work… but test, 400 patches XYZLUT profile, check if primaries are native rather than sRGB. I didn’t test that.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Is it normal for dwm_lut to make gpu spikes up to 99% usage? I’m on a new pc with rtx 4070ti and it does these big spikes from time to time.

nancy irena
    Participant

Creating a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop is a remarkable achievement. This not only enhances visual experiences but also offers users a versatile and personalized approach to color correction. Your innovation brings a valuable solution for individuals seeking a more tailored and vibrant display on their Windows systems.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Creating a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop is a remarkable achievement. This not only enhances visual experiences but also offers users a versatile and personalized approach to color correction. Your innovation brings a valuable solution for individuals seeking a more tailored and vibrant display on their Windows systems.

At the cost of huge gpu spikes.

dr04e606
    Participant

Of course, I wouldn’t mind if DWM_LUT had zero performance impact, similar to Novideo_sRGB. However, I wouldn’t characterize its hardware requirements as substantial either. Even a mere Pentium Silver N6000, with just a 6W TDP, proves more than sufficient for calibrating a 1080p display using this tool.

David C
    Participant

You will not detect a problem outside of games unless you’re running a potato.  For games it won’t affect full screen and you can disable it for windowed.

With a 4070 I use it with some games windowed 2K @ 120 Hz without a detectable change.

David C
    Participant

Is it normal for dwm_lut to make gpu spikes up to 99% usage? I’m on a new pc with rtx 4070ti and it does these big spikes from time to time.

Just saw this. Are you sure it’s DWM causing the spikes? I’ve had no such experience on two different PC’s, (also Windows 10 and 11).

S Simeonov
    Participant

Just saw this. Are you sure it’s DWM causing the spikes? I’ve had no such experience on two different PC’s, (also Windows 10 and 11).

100% sure the spikes are caused by dwm_lut, no huge spikes with novideo_srgb.

nancy irena
    Participant

Of course, I wouldn’t mind if DWM_LUT had zero performance impact, similar to Novideo_sRGB. However, I wouldn’t characterize its hardware requirements as substantial either. Even a mere Pentium Silver N6000, with just a 6W TDP, proves more than sufficient for calibrating a 1080p display using this tool.

thanks for share good informetion.

Viewing 11 posts - 316 through 326 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS