I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 326 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

DWM_LUT has the performance hit though compared to novideo_srgb.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

DWM_LUT has the performance hit though compared to novideo_srgb.

Sorry got the two mixed up. We even discussed it before 🙂

https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/i-made-a-tool-for-applying-3d-luts-to-the-windows-desktop/page/8/ (Page8)

aron7awol
    Participant

Create a CCSS correction with both devices. Then we’ll be able to compare main wavelegth error, noise error, resolution errors and all the things discussed previously

Here’s the CCSS files for the Jeti 1501 (Hi Res – 2nm), and i1 Pro 2 measured in both (10nm and 3.3 Hi Res Modes).

This was done on the Sony A95K QD-OLED.

So all devices are Close to Brand new.

My Jeti 1501 has Nist Calibration done in September 2022. And the i1 Pro 2 is brand new. I removed the sticker that says please remove before first use. It’s the ES-2000 revision E model, Manufactured Year 2017-08. Never opened or used till now.

I did all measurements at the exact same spot on the screen in a pitch black room, to avoid ambient light. And let the Displays warm up a bit. All in their Widest Native Gamut modes.

I’ll upload files for the QD-LCD later today. A bit lazy right now. But on the A95K OLED. Highest delta e was in White Balance less in color. i1 Pro 2 does relatively good. But I don’t consider it accurate enough for certain colors it’s  approaching in the yellow with some colors when I compare the two.

This on the latest argyll drivers.

Thank you for sharing these!

First of all, your Jeti 2nm measurement matches really well with a Jeti 4.5nm measurement from an S95B (same panel tech), so that’s great.

I also interpolated your i1 Pro2 measurements, and normalized all measurements, and the 3.3nm HiRes one actually looks quite good.  On the attached graph I have the Jeti measurements in green, the 3.3nm in blue, and the 10nm in red.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Dear author, the great tool you’ve made has a problem being used in network with user access resctrictions. Is it possible to recompile it as .msi package? The difference is in ability to run it by limited users, who don’t have rights to run .exe

By the date you’ve made the only effective tool for clean grey gradient output on non-pro displays + ugly Photoshop display color management. Sometimes novideo_srgb does this job, in the minority of cases though, this seems to be limited by videocard model/firmware. Once I’ve met regular (~20 min interval) flashing with dwm_lut running upon nVidia Quadro. There also was a case with halting desktop (possible result of very old nVidia card installed).

David C
    Participant

Has anyone branched this and is supporting it? The git page says it is no longer supported. It’s working fine for me, but I’m a little nervous to depend on it.

(I’m also depending on DisplayCAL which is no longer supported, so my days are numbered – heh).

Vincent
    Participant

https://github.com/lauralex/dwm_lut , it’s on LeDoge project title.

Nooj
    Participant

How to turn off automatically dwm_lut when madVR is playing?

• This reply was modified 11 months, 2 weeks ago by Nooj.

S Simeonov
    Participant

How to turn off automatically dwm_lut when madVR is playing?

You can’t. You have to do it manually each time.

zero18894
    Participant

This is something I’ve been looking up for a long time, thank you sir for the great work!

RenaT
    Participant

Hello! I get such a mistake. Has anyone encountered this? I have windows 11

Bill Wood
    Participant

Hi dogelition, this is really cool stuff!!

In W11, there seems to be a bug where only the Windows Color System “Default” profile (third tab) is returned to apps as the current ICC profile.  This means that only one profile can be used in a multi-monitor system.

The new control panel in W11 assigns the profile to the Device (first) tab only, so the profile is never activated unless you also set the WCS “default” profile.  However, the LUT in the profile is activated.

I have a question that I hope you can answer given your limited W11 experience.  W11’s “Use HDR” mode already seems to “clamp” the display to sRGB.  This is in effect for the desktop as well as browsers, so that browser-based images and video are mapped to sRGB on wide gamut displays.  In Chrome, which has HDR support (not Firefox), wide-gamut images and HDR videos are mapped to a wider gamut, however I’m not sure if this is based on the display primaries or if it assumes P3.  Firefox will be implementing some support for Windows HDR later this year.  They call it a “P3 8 bit pipeline”.  See bugzilla bug 1738562, comment 6.

This seems like an ideal result, assuming the apps you’re using are aware of Windows HDR (like Chrome is).   My question is, assuming W11 HDR support, do you see a use case for your 3D LUT tool, since W11 maps to sRGB, with the app having the option to map to a wider gamut?  Or am I missing something?  Thanks!

wpwoodjr
    Participant

Hi dogelition, this is really cool stuff!!

In W11, there seems to be a bug where only the Windows Color System “Default” profile (third tab) is returned to apps as the current ICC profile.  This means that only one profile can be used in a multi-monitor system.

The new control panel in W11 assigns the profile to the Device (first) tab only, so the profile is never activated unless you also set the WCS “default” profile.  However, the LUT in the profile is activated.

I have a question that I hope you can answer given your limited W11 experience.  W11’s “Use HDR” mode already seems to “clamp” the display to sRGB.  This is in effect for the desktop as well as browsers, so that browser-based images and video are mapped to sRGB on wide gamut displays.  In Chrome, which has HDR support (not Firefox), wide-gamut images and HDR videos are mapped to a wider gamut, however I’m not sure if this is based on the display primaries or if it assumes P3.  Firefox will be implementing some support for Windows HDR later this year.  They call it a “P3 8 bit pipeline”.  See bugzilla bug 1738562, comment 6.

This seems like an ideal result, assuming the apps you’re using are aware of Windows HDR (like Chrome is).   My question is, assuming W11 HDR support, do you see a use case for your 3D LUT tool, since W11 maps to sRGB, with the app having the option to map to a wider gamut?  Or am I missing something?  Thanks!

braveblade
    Participant

Good morning, I’m using a translator. I registered in the forum to congratulate you on this great program that you have done. and please ask if there is the possibility that the program starts automatically when you start windows. It is a detail that would make the use of the program even more comfortable. I have tried the task scheduler but without success. I reiterate my thanks, greetings.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the task scheduler is the only way to make a program autostart as admin. The v2.1 version should automatically apply the 3D LUTs on boot if you add it to the task scheduler with -apply -minimize arguments. Not sure why it’s not working for you.

Hi there. I tried the task scheduler method on boot but it does not work. When the scheduler runs, my monitor’s screen will turn black for 1 second, and then “dwmlutGUI.exe” will disappear from its folder, and I have no where to recover it.

Manual setup works. Do you know why dwmlutGUI.exe keeps deleting itself?

speedy
    Participant

Has anyone quantified the performance hit from running dwm_lut?

takla
    Participant

https://youtube.com/watch?v=t22CvXeTRdAe

Relevant for the discussion on page 19

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS