I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 326 total)
  • Author

kekyoin
    Participant

It’s not minimal impact. Try testing in an actual application/game instead of looking at task manager. I lose about 10% performance on a 2080ti by having this tool on. 123fps game runs at around 110fps after applying the LUT. Whether that’s worth it to have superior correction depends on the individual to decide.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

Tested a gaming benchmark and there was a 4% loss (6FPS) with DWMLut enabled. May not seem much but it is a lot.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

I’ve uploaded screenshots for evidence. I’ve gone back to using Reshade for now until DWM_Lut is more optimized. The FPS loss with it enabled is too much for gaming scenarios.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

Use novideo_srgb if you own a Nvidia GPU.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

Use novideo_srgb if you own a Nvidia GPU.

Thanks. Found the tool on Github and it works very well. No performance loss. However I found what maybe bugs, quibbles:

• Using dual monitor setup. My second screen took a while for the colours to clamp. The screen was whitewashed and after 10 seconds the profile was correctly applies. (This didn’t happen for my Primary monitor where the profile instantly clamped correctly)
    • After rebooting my PC it took long to get back into Windows. Normally I am in my desktop within 10 seconds but took around a minute after using   novideo_srgb. (I’ll obviously test this again later)

Steven5591
    Participant

Hi there, I’ve been using DWMLUT for about a year now and it’s great.

However, upon starting it up this morning I saw the following message:

“Failed to enter debug mode will not be able to apply LUTs”

I’ve never seen this before. I am unable to hit the “Apply” button and thus unable to load any LUT. No updates were installed on my PC recently. Updated to the latest release of DWMLUT and no longer see the message, but I’m still unable to press the “Apply” button. I didn’t take note of which version of DWMLUT I was using but it was probably 2.1.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Steven5591
    Participant

fixed it.. was caused by changes to my Local Security Policy.

something removed Administrators from the “Debug Programs” policy. All good now.

SirMaster
    Participant

novideo_srgb

Help me understand something please.

I have been using dwm_lut to have a full calibration on my displays in all software.

Are you saying that I can achieve a full calibration on my displays with novideo_srgb instead? And have better performance?

Do I just create a full ICC profile for my display and load that into novideo_srgb?

Do I need to use calibrate gamma to?

I apologize, I read the readme, but I am just a little fuzzy still.

dr04e606
    Participant

Novideo_srgb just clamps your gamut to sRGB on video card level using your monitor’s built-in color primaries. It’s very handy for monitors that lack proper sRGB emulation, but it doesn’t really make your colors super accurate. Its accuracy level is good enough for most use cases and I’m using it myself, but if you need perfect accuracy, and/or you work not only in sRGB, then it’s not for you.

Whereas dwm_lut allows for nearly perfect color accuracy in any color space that you set it up for.

SirMaster
    Participant

Novideo_srgb just clamps your gamut to sRGB on video card level using your monitor’s built-in color primaries. It’s very handy for monitors that lack proper sRGB emulation, but it doesn’t really make your colors super accurate. Its accuracy level is good enough for most use cases and I’m using it myself, but if you need perfect accuracy, and/or you work not only in sRGB, then it’s not for you.

Whereas dwm_lut allows for nearly perfect color accuracy in any color space that you set it up for.

According to the readme novideo_srgb supports ICC profiles and full LUT-XYX-LUT calibration though.

Vincent
    Participant

According to the readme novideo_srgb supports ICC profiles and full LUT-XYX-LUT calibration though.

No. “Accepts” XYZLUT to transform it to an idealized lut-matrix-lut, like a Eizo CS or Ultrasharps HW cal. This assumes a very linear response in display, without volume correction in middle values. Just mixes primaries to simulate an idealized colorspace (like sRGB or other) trusting that once grey is calibrated with and 1D LUT display behavior can be predicted with a matrix and a TRC.

The true equivalent of transformation from a X source colorspace to a colospace described by a XYZLUT ICC is a LUT3D, but you need shaders (DWMLUT) to run that… while the simpler LUT-Matrix-lut simulation is loaded in the specific HW in GPU for this task, both AMD (driver) and nvidia (novideosrgb).

dr04e606
    Participant

Indeed. Looks like the author also updated the info on its GitHub page since I last visited it. It now even has a “Notes for use with ICC profiles” section: https://github.com/ledoge/novideo_srgb#notes-for-use-with-icc-profiles

Apparently, since v1.8 it even supports Display P3 and Adobe RGB as calibration targets.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by dr04e606.

dogelition
    Participant

Do I just create a full ICC profile for my display and load that into novideo_srgb?

Yes.

Do I need to use calibrate gamma to?

Yes – without it, the gamut just gets remapped based on the primaries in the ICC profile, assuming that your display follows the sRGB EOTF (or something close to it – I don’t know since the API is undocumented and I haven’t investigated that part extensively). With that option enabled,  the color space conversion works basically like in a color managed application, within the limitations of a matrix ICC profile. As explained by Vincent, novideo_srgb does support XYZ LUT profiles, but the actual transform being done by the GPU is still no more “powerful” than one based on a matrix profile.

MW
    Participant

but it doesn’t really make your colors super accurate.

At the same time, a curves+matrix profile can look subjectively more pleasing than a 3DLUT on a consumer 6-bit+FRC panel. In theory you could add a ICC on top for color critical apps. So for no one has tested that I think.

Vincent
    Participant

but it doesn’t really make your colors super accurate.

At the same time, a curves+matrix profile can look subjectively more pleasing than a 3DLUT on a consumer 6-bit+FRC panel. In theory you could add a ICC on top for color critical apps. So for no one has tested that I think.

I tested it on a widegamut, works OK:
    -calibrate & profile (“A”)
    -create synth profile with “nominal” primaries from profile and generic 2.2g (“B”)
    -create a LUT3D from “B” to “A” (embed VCGT)
    -assign B as display profile in OS
    -load LUT3D to DWMLUT
    Then verify if display (LUT3D corrected system wide) matches B, and it did.
    All side effects from using a 3xTRC profile (banding grey coloration) on PS were gone.

On a bad TN laptop 60%sRGB the same operation gave severe posterization & banding non color managed. Other screens did not show that issue

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS