I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 326 total)
  • Author

zunderholz
    Participant

Perfect. Thanks for the reply. My display finally looks wonderful, by the way. It’s a shame that Windows and Nvidia make this so difficult.

dr04e606
    Participant

Mad respect to the OP for creating this tool. It even supports individual LUTs for SDR and HDR now. Just WOW!

I wonder if there is a way to achieve the same result via video card LUT but on Windows 7?

I have a monitor with a somewhat wider sRGB gamut volume. I use this monitor with two computers. One of which has GTX1050Ti and is compatible with Novideo_sRGB, so, no problem there. Another computer (laptop) has GeForce 310M (TG218) and I can’t even launch Novideo_sRGB on it, let alone apply an sRGB clamp. For the time being, I use an ICC profile on the computer with 310M, but not every application properly supports color management…

Kirillov Yuri
    Participant

The idea is very interesting, but very frustrating approach for programmers. I understand that the project is now quite actively updated, but ordinary users would be much more interesting to have files that are already ready to use.
    For example, I don’t need either Visual Studio or MSYS2 at all. However, I had to install them and I can’t compile dwm_lut.dll for a week already.
    What I do wrong?
    Can someone give me a normal instruction on what to install, in what order to execute to make it work?

MINGW64 ~
    $ cd C:/dwm_lut-master
    MINGW64 /c/dwm_lut-master
    $ gcc dwm_lut.c -O3 -shared -static -s -lMinHook -ld3dcompiler -luuid -Wl,--exclude-all-symbols -o dwm_lut.dll
    C:/msys64/mingw64/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/11.2.0/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lMinHook
    collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

dogelition
    Participant

There’s no need to compile anything, as pre-compiled binaries are provided as release.zip for every version under “Releases”. I should probably put that somewhere in the README…

Kirillov Yuri
    Participant

The solution is very simple. Never used github and didn’t pay attention to the sidebar. Thank you!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Kirillov Yuri.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

2dogelition: Great tool and great thanks! I’ll tried it yesterday for the first time. Here I’ll found that it does not start at login in Windows 11, we added it manually with arguments (-apply -minimize) as a login-dirven job (like DisplayCAL starts), standard autostart does not work.  It also  closes completely with cross icon, – please, add forced minimization to tray here.

2all: Adobe Photoshop uses Windows color managent system profile for display in Win11 instead of main display profile. So, if you make 3D LUT for non_sRGB.icm->your_display.icm, set non_sRGB.icm in Control Panel / Color Management / <the third tab> for display.

Vincent
    Participant

2all: Adobe Photoshop uses Windows color managent system profile for display in Win11 instead of main display profile. So, if you make 3D LUT for non_sRGB.icm->your_display.icm, set non_sRGB.icm in Control Panel / Color Management / <the third tab> for display.

I have not upgraded to win11, so IDNK, but I wish to know:
    -how does W11 assign custom profiles to multi monitor setup?
    In older windows you have the “device tab” (1st) where you choose default profile for each device. Did 3rd tab have multidevice selection?. Can you provide screenshots of W11?
    -Since W10 you can assign displayprofile from “new control panel” (right gear in tray notifications). If you do that in W11 with all color management setup in older control panel back to defaults, where does it assign that profile as default display profile? 1st tab or 3rd tab?

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Vincent, that’s PC is not mine. But the only difference I’d found is that Photoshop takes RGB monitor profile setting from the third tab in Color Management, all other profile settings keep their old places. So, the change is either in Photoshop, or in some “main display profile” Windows register setting (I don’t know if this exists). As you know, you can’t use two different displays with corresponding profiles on PC/Mac (I can’t say about Linux, but it seems the same) without tricks. Color managed applications get display profile at start and don’t change till we close them. Exceptions are editors, ported from Linux, like GIMP and Krita, these need to set display profile manually and it may be changed during work session. When you drag Photoshop to the second display in MacOS 10.14 and newer, it shows RGB monitor change in profile list, but it doesn’t change profile (as I’ve saw, I’m not sure in the latest changes), it simply shows you info from system request that corresponds to window position. No application can run with two display profiles (Resolve can use two displays, but using LUTs). I made temporary main display profile swap to run additional editor (Lr in addition to allready running Ps, for example) on the second display, or switch the first one off.  In Win11 you need to make the same swap in the third tab, but I did not check if Photoshop will change profile on the fly. The fast way, Profile Loader -> Associations, become unusable

I’ve found more settings in “gear” display parameters in Win11, it looks and tunes better now. Probably, I’ll download screenshots later.

Vincent
    Participant

I’ve found more settings in “gear” display parameters in Win11, it looks and tunes better now. Probably, I’ll download screenshots later.

Maybe all ICC stuud shoudl be configured there and not in old control panel whcihs should be left as is, with all default settings.

I did not try W11 yet… I should do it someday. It seems that has a lot of new stuff & problems regarding this subject.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Display settings screenshot attached. Actually a bit recomposed old window with better layout.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Weird, profile info is missing.

zunderholz
    Participant

If I set a tone curve in displaycal does novideo_srgb use that to change the video card gamma table, or is it using it to generate a LUT? Just wondering if I have that option set when I generate my icc if that will end up giving applications the opportunity to mess with the gamma table and defeat the calibration that novideo_srgb is giving me.

dogelition
    Participant

It does not use the regular VCGT API, but only the (undocumented) NVIDIA color space conversion API to set the combined inverse TRC + VCGT LUT. From what I’ve observed, I don’t think changes to the VCGT can interfere with these values, but I’m not entirely sure. You should be able to test it by using DisplayCAL’s to load a VCGT calibration and then resetting the VCGT to linear, and seeing if anything changed.

dr04e606
    Participant

I heard that this tool has some performance impact. Can someone elaborate on how much of the performance hit (in percents) are we talking about and which applications and usage scenarios are impacted by it the most? What is the cause of this performance degradation (CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM usage)?

I currently don’t have a computer with an operating system that is supported by DwmLutGUI.exe, so I can’t test it myself.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

I heard that this tool has some performance impact. Can someone elaborate on how much of the performance hit (in percents) are we talking about and which applications and usage scenarios are impacted by it the most? What is the cause of this performance degradation (CPU, GPU, RAM, VRAM usage)?

I currently don’t have a computer with an operating system that is supported by DwmLutGUI.exe, so I can’t test it myself.

Dunno who told you that but it has minimal impact

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS