I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 326 total)
  • Author

dogelition
    Participant

As far as I understand, there is currently no way in Windows to use a monitor in its full wide gamut, and not have over-saturated colors on desktop, and most non-color-managed apps such as games, browsers.

Well, almost. You can achieve this by enabling HDR in Windows (assuming your monitor supports it), but that comes with its own set of issues, and I’m not sure how/if you can use an ICC profile to get accurate colors in HDR.

If I choose to remain exclusively in sRGB, should I use your tool “novideo_srgb” to clamp to sRGB, then run calibration, and apply a 3DLUT? How would that work?

No point in using both at the same time. If you just want a global sRGB clamp + VCGT calibration, use novideo_srgb and then create an ICC profile in that state. If you want accurate colors everywhere at the cost of increased GPU utilization, use dwm_lut.

district9prawn
    Participant

Hello well done on creating this tool! I just gave it a try and it seems to work well even for hdr. While the results for hdr are not perfect due to whatever the monitor’s hdr mode is doing internally it is certainly a big improvement and makes my monitor’s hdr mode a lot more usable.

Applying the 3dlut also improves the accuracy of the windows desktop in hdr, pointless as it is.

RenaT
    Participant

Hello! I get such a mistake. Has anyone encountered this? I have windows 11

“Failed to load or initialize DLL. This probably means that a LUT file is malformed or that DWM got updated.”

nelldrip
    Participant

Hi, I made a tutorial for calibrate Windows 10 HDR mode with 3D LUT via your DWMLUT.

If it’s helpful for Windows HDR mode, I am very glad.

dogelition
    Participant

Hello! I get such a mistake. Has anyone encountered this? I have windows 11

“Failed to load or initialize DLL. This probably means that a LUT file is malformed or that DWM got updated.”

Are you on an insider build or something? I just installed all available updates on my Windows 11 VM, and it still works. The LUT file(s) should be good, assuming you used DisplayCAL to generate them.

Hi, I made a tutorial for calibrate Windows 10 HDR mode with 3D LUT via your DWMLUT.

Nice, thank you!

RenaT
    Participant

Insider, Build 22471. Okay, I’ll try

Raj S
    Participant

This feature would be a great addition to DisplayCAL’s Profile Loader. AFAIK, no other calibration software offers the ability to inject 3D LUTs into the Windows desktop. You could get accurate colors EVERYWHERE and for FREE! This could be a standout feature.

Although I doubt this will happen. Florian seems to be missing (for now) and DisplayCAL’s last update was in Dec 2019.

Vincent
    Participant

You could get accurate colors EVERYWHERE and for FREE! This could be a standout feature.

There is a missing step, you need to setup as default display profile the colorspace you are simulating (assuming high 9x%  coverage), otherwise that “everywhere” won’t hold (color managed apps)

Raj S
    Participant

You could get accurate colors EVERYWHERE and for FREE! This could be a standout feature.

There is a missing step, you need to setup as default display profile the colorspace you are simulating (assuming high 9x%  coverage), otherwise that “everywhere” won’t hold (color managed apps)

DisplayCAL profile loader could be advanced enough to do this automatically. If the 3D LUT functionality is enabled, set the display profile to SRGB (or other simulated colorspace profile).

FoLLgoTT
    Participant

@dogelition

I have a small feature request. It would be cool if one could apply a specific LUT via command line by specifying the file as a parameter. This woul helb implementing automation a lot. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by FoLLgoTT.

dogelition
    Participant

@dogelition

I have a small feature request. It would be cool if one could apply a specific LUT via command line by specifying the file as a parameter. This woul helb implementing automation a lot. ????

That could get kinda complicated with identifiers for different monitors, SDR/HDR, whether to keep other LUTs as-is, etc…

With the current version you do have a few options to (hopefully) accomplish what you want: you can use a script to swap out/modify the config.xml file, or alternatively you could have the program extracted in multiple locations since it always looks for the config file in the same folder as the exe. Assuming it’s not running already, you can then run the exe with the command line arguments -apply -exit to apply the LUTs as defined by the config. The -exit part is necessary since without that, it would keep running in the background and then complain about already being open the next time you run it.

FoLLgoTT
    Participant

Thank you. The trick with the two folders sounds good. I will give it a try.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

Is there a way to incorporate the version number on the application. I had no idea there were new versions since I last visited but I installed v3.3 anyway.  Thank you

zunderholz
    Participant

I’m using novideo_srgb and I’m slightly confused about how I should use the calibration feature. I use gsync, so I’m more interested in this tool than the other LUT tool. My monitor is wide gamut, which is why I’m interested. It has HDR support, but the HDR is terrible because it has maybe 8 dimming zones, so I’m keeping HDR off.

First I adjusted brightness to 120nits, then used monitor controls to set RGB to D65 whitepoint. I set the rest of the monitor settings to factory defaults. Then I created an icc profile with the following displaycal settings:

1. Observer CIE 1931 2degrees
    2. whitepoint as measured, daylight reference
    3. white level as measured
    4. black level as measured
    5. tone curve as measured
    6.  xyz lut + matrix, black point compensation off
    7. profile quality high
    8. testchart auto with 1000+ patches
    9. minimize display response delay

In novideo_srgb I used the advanced option to select the icc and checked the option to calibrate to srgb. My question from here is, do I need to create another ICC after applying this process? Can I just use the icc that novideo_srgb is reading? I probably want a valid icc available, or can I just set displaycal to not load an icc for this display?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by zunderholz.

dogelition
    Participant

In novideo_srgb I used the advanced option to select the icc and checked the option to calibrate to srgb. My question from here is, do I need to create another ICC after applying this process? Can I just use the icc that novideo_srgb is reading? I probably want a valid icc available, or can I just set displaycal to not load an icc for this display?

It’s important that you don’t select the same profile that novideo_srgb is using. Otherwise, color-aware applications would do their own transform on top of the one the GPU is doing. So you can select no profile for that monitor or the default sRGB one (should be the same thing). Alternatively, you can run DisplayCAL again with the clamp active to generate another profile that describes the clamped state, so that color-aware applications will be even more accurate. I’m not sure if VCGT calibration can be done on top of the clamp as well, as I haven’t tested it, but there should be no issues with tone curve set to “as measured”.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS