I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 326 total)
  • Author

Jaylumx
    Participant

Thank you for your support.

I tried it on Windows10 21H1 and RTX2060(studio driver 472.12), but it didn’t work as expected.

Thank you for your feedback! I did some investigating and I think I figured out how scRGB, the format that Windows uses internally for HDR, works. I don’t have any experience with HDR, but I made a new version that hopefully works. It requires a LUT that uses BT.2020/PQ values as input and output (I assume this is the standard for HDR LUTs?). Please try the new pre-release and tell me if it works properly now.

It bloody works.  I loaded up Shadow of the Tombraider in HDR mode to test with no issues.

The only thing now is to polish off the software to load at login without doing any jiggery pokery and either for it to load the 3DLUT in SDR and HDR mode or for it to have separate  entries for SDR and HDR respectively.

Otherwise well done dude.

Jaylumx
    Participant

Tool also works with MadVR and MPC Video Renderer.

nelldrip
    Participant

Thank you very much.

This is a great job!
    In the latest release, I applied a 3D LUT (composite next LUTs, mapping to the displayable range of the monitor + calibrating the displayable range to ST2084/rec.2020)
    And these hardware has been calibrated.
    My ASUS Pro Art PA32UCX has been hardware calibrated with ASUS calibrate system, and the two Philips 326m6vjrmb/11 has been software calibrated(3D LUT) with your amazing work.
    Thanks again!

Later, I will create a calibration LUT in the current state with DisplayCal(madTPG).
    And I show a comparison below HCFR(madTPG) HDR measurement results before and after LUT application by the latest release,
    Luminance map, RGB balance, Gamut map, Colour temperature,
    And I would like to show you a change in the look of an actual HDR monitor before and after apply LUT.

BTW, I have a question about the order of applying the LUT.
    I think your DWM-LUT-GUI 3D LUT is applied before GPU 1D LUT processing (VCGT), is this understand correct?

nelldrip
    Participant

I measured before/after calibrate with X-rite i1 Display Pro Plus and colorHCFR, Philips 326m6vjrmb/11.

before calibrate, colour is not accurate

after calibrate, becomes correct colour.

before calibrate

This is after calibrate

before calibrate(RGB)

after calibrate(RGB)

before, image saturated.

after, neither brightness nor color are saturated

Currently, the look has enough reproducible to watch a practical range.
    Surely, it may enough, but I want better preferable look.
    Now I am tring to adjust a correction mapping and LUT for more accurate calibrate .
    To next weekend, I plan to review the measurement and LUT output settings.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

dogelition
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I just pushed a new pre-release that should work with a mix of SDR and HDR LUTs on multiple monitors at the same time – please let me know if everything works.

I think your DWM-LUT-GUI 3D LUT is applied before GPU 1D LUT processing (VCGT), is this understand correct?

Yes

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by dogelition.

String
    Participant

Attempting to use this since Win 11 colour management appears broken for now but ive never played with LUTs before.

I’m currently using a DisplayCal generated profile set as “default” in windows settings as per the workaround.

Can someone confirm the steps needed here?

I guess first i need to convert my profile to a 3D Lut but what settings?

I assume the Rec 709 ITU-R BT 709 in the first column?

Second down do i select Gamma 2.2 as thats what i based my profile on?

Absolute colormetric with white point scaling?

Full range encoding?

I assume after this i change my windows system settings back to sRGB default not the monitor profile so its not being applied twice?

Is this going to work for my colour managed apps as well or do i need extra steps to keep them working?

Does it matter that my laptop is dual GPU (Intel gfx and Nvidia) as a LUT is video card based?

dogelition
    Participant

I assume the Rec 709 ITU-R BT 709 in the first column?

Yes

Second down do i select Gamma 2.2 as thats what i based my profile on?

The “profile gamma” is just the VCGT calibration gamma, which gets built into the 3D LUT if you select “Apply calibration” (which you should for your use case here). For the 3D LUT target gamma, you can choose whatever value you want and it’ll work correctly.

Absolute colormetric with white point scaling?

Yes, assuming you calibrated to D65 white. If you have a different white point, I think you should select Relative colorimetric.

Full range encoding?

Yes

I assume after this i change my windows system settings back to sRGB default not the monitor profile so its not being applied twice?

Maybe – see the next answer

Is this going to work for my colour managed apps as well or do i need extra steps to keep them working?

They will be color corrected by the 3D LUT, but if you select the sRGB profile in Windows, that means they’ll expect the display to have sRGB gamma and convert their colors accordingly. So if you’re e.g. creating content that’s targetting sRGB, the color management will leave the values as-is, but if your 3D LUT has 2.2 gamma, you’ll see it as 2.2 gamma instead of sRGB gamma on your screen. If you want to see the proper gamma instead, you can use Tools -> Advanced -> Create synthetic ICC profile to make a profile that’s basically the sRGB one but with 2.2 gamma and assign that profile in Windows. But if you do want to see 2.2 gamma everywhere where you’re supposed to see sRGB gamma, just use the default sRGB profile.

Does it matter that my laptop is dual GPU (Intel gfx and Nvidia) as a LUT is video card based?

I’m not sure how the desktop is rendered on such a setup. I would assume that it always uses integrated graphics? But if the desktop itself switches between the GPUs somehow, that’ll probably result in it crashing. Other than that, it’ll work fine since this tool doesn’t make use of the VCGT (3x 1D LUT in the GPU) at all.

FoLLgoTT
    Participant

Great tool!

Is it possible to support other file types (e.g. .3dlut)? This would enable support for other 3D LUT generating tools that don’t write .cube format.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by FoLLgoTT.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

Good morning, I’m using a translator. I registered in the forum to congratulate you on this great program that you have done. and please ask if there is the possibility that the program starts automatically when you start windows. It is a detail that would make the use of the program even more comfortable. I have tried the task scheduler but without success. I reiterate my thanks, greetings.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the task scheduler is the only way to make a program autostart as admin. The v2.1 version should automatically apply the 3D LUTs on boot if you add it to the task scheduler with -apply -minimize arguments. Not sure why it’s not working for you.

Worked a treat for me.  I can physically see the colours change when Windows 10 loads, so I know it’s working. Also if I go to open DwmLUT from desktop the Status shows “Active” in the lower left corner.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

dogelition
    Participant

Great tool!

Is it possible to support other file types (e.g. .3dlut)? This would enable support for other 3D LUT generating tools that don’t write .cube format.

No plans to support any other formats right now, sorry. Which tools can generate files in that format but not .cube? I thought .cube was pretty much the standard.

Inkred1ble
    Participant

Hello, I’ve just recently purchased an i1Display Pro Plus, and I am just getting into all “color” stuff. As far as I understand, Windows doesn’t and will not in the near future have system-wide color management, as Mac OS does, and that’s a shame. This is where your tool comes in, which works nicely for me so far. However, I am having trouble with calibrating the monitor properly, and then properly checking if it is in fact, calibrated correctly. I haven’t found any step-by-step guide anywhere to how properly (100% correct) create a 3DLut for your app specifically. That’s why I am asking if you could specify the settings in: Display & instrument, Calibration, Profiling, and 3DLUT. I am also a bit lost, as to which setting to choose in “Verification” to correctly verify the calibration.

I understand that to some people this is trivial, and that I am asking for a “tutorial” might be too much. For this, I apologize in advance.

dogelition
    Participant

That’s why I am asking if you could specify the settings in: Display & instrument, Calibration, Profiling, and 3DLUT.

I would suggest starting with the “Video 3D LUT for Reshade” preset, then:

Display & Instrument: leave everything at default, but make sure to select the right correction for your display (read up on what those are if you aren’t familiar with them already)

Calibration and Profiling: leave everything as-is

3D LUT: Set tone curve to the gamma you want (e.g. 2.2), 3D LUT file format to .cube and resolution to 65x65x65.

That should be everything you need for great  results. You could probably increase the amount of patches for even better results, but I never played around with that myself.

Inkred1ble
    Participant

Thank you. I’ve read up a bit on correction for the display, and chosen one made specifically for my monitor, from a public repository, I believe.

I used the settings you provided and got the message about my gamut coverage, which I am attaching. To my eyes the calibration looks perfect, and I ran some tests to confirm it. I have a couple of questions.

If I want to check, if DwmLut applied the 3DLUT correctly and if the calibration is good, I should check “Simulation profile” and select “Rec709 ITU-R BT.709 0.3128x 03292y”? If not, could you please be so kind to specify how to check if calibration is correct?

Secondly, DisplayCal tells me that I have Gamut for DCI P3, so I want to use it in apps where it is possible. As far as I understand, by selecting Rec709 during the creation of 3dlut, it limits the display to sRGB? Is there anyway to use sRGB apps in sRGB (such as non hdr games and desktop) and to use DCI-P3 where possible (Chrome, Photoshop, DaVinchi Resolve)? The only information I found was on reddit, I am attaching a snap of seemingly your response.

There also appears to be an interaction with DwmLut, New World (the game) and ShadowPlay. When Nvidia Control Panel is set to output 10 bits, DwmLut is on and Shadowplay is recording, the game stutters hard, seemingly for 250ms, every 2 seconds. This DOES NOT happen when Nvidia Control Panel is set to output 8 bits. Please let me know if you want more information or testing done, I am more than willing to test some stuff for you.

Thank you very much.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

dogelition
    Participant

For verification: Select the regular Rec709 profile, check “Simulation profile” and “Use simulation profile as display profile”, and set Tone curve to the same one you used to create the 3D LUT.

The LUT can’t be applied per application, so you’ll be stuck with the limited Rec709/sRGB gamut in all applications while it’s enabled.

No idea what could be causing that bug, seems like a very strange interaction between multiple components… Maybe check if the GPU utilization is hitting 100%?

Inkred1ble
    Participant

Thank you, verification does indeed work.

As far as I understand, there is currently no way in Windows to use a monitor in its full wide gamut, and not have over-saturated colors on desktop, and most non-color-managed apps such as games, browsers.

In that case, is it possible to run the monitor in HDR mode 24/7, to utilize Windows native BT.2020 while in HDR, and calibrate according to that, so everything would be displayed in its native color gamut? I don’t quite understand if calibrating to BT.2020 makes every other colorspace display wrong colors, so correct me if I am wrong.

If I choose to remain exclusively in sRGB, should I use your tool “novideo_srgb” to clamp to sRGB, then run calibration, and apply a 3DLUT? How would that work?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS