I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 326 total)
  • Author

mat a
    Participant

Alright. Thank you.

mat a
    Participant

Ok. Thanks.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

Hi

Is there a Dummies guide for using this tool? I have followed some of the posts on how to install and generate the .Cube LUT then appy it using the DwmLutGUI tool but I am not seeing any difference compared to when I had DisplayCal running. I have removed the  .icc association to my monitor but is there a way to verify that the 3D Lut hookup is working correctly?

Thanks

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

dogelition
    Participant

Hi

Is there a Dummies guide for using this tool? I have followed some of the posts on how to install and generate the .Cube LUT then appy it using the DwmLutGUI tool but I am not seeing any difference compared to when I had DisplayCal running. I have removed the  .icc association to my monitor but is there a way to verify that the 3D Lut hookup is working correctly?

Thanks

That screenshot looks good to me – it should be working. Note that it’s not visible on the entire screen as soon as you click Apply, but only once the rest of the screen is updated (e.g. a window is maximized or you drag some stuff around). To confirm that it’s working, you can use the 3DLUT Maker that comes with DisplayCAL to generate something like a LUT from Rec.709/sRGB to BT.2020, which should result in very noticeable desaturation. Of course, you can also use DisplayCAL’s Verification tab (with the Rec.709/sRGB profile as both simulation profile and display profile, along with 2.2 gamma) to verify that your colors are now accurate.

Vincent
    Participant

Sometimes you need to minimize it or change app in foreground before LUT3D is applied. IDNK why it happens.

An easy way to test it in that P3 display is to have 2 big patches on MS Paint, 255 red and 255 green. When you apply LUT3D desaturation of those near P3 primaries should be visible.

dogelition
    Participant

Sometimes you need to minimize it or change app in foreground before LUT3D is applied. IDNK why it happens.

DWM only redraws rectangles that actually changed, and I only apply the LUT to those dirty rectangles (otherwise it would get applied multiple times to the same pixels). I might be able to apply it to the entire screen on the first frame after injection, but I’m not sure if that could cause any issues due to the mismatch with the dirty rectangle list.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

@dogelition and @Vincent Thank you both for your replies.

generate something like a LUT from Rec.709/sRGB to BT.2020, which should result in very noticeable desaturation. Of course, you can also use DisplayCAL’s Verification tab (with the Rec.709/sRGB profile as both simulation profile and display profile, along with 2.2 gamma) to verify that your colors are now accurate.

I read that several times and cross checked with the verification tab in DisplayCal but unfortunately I don’t understand.

Do I check Simulation profile; choose Rec709 ITU-R BT.709 0.3128x 0.3292y and run the measurement report or something else from the attachment.

P3 display is to have 2 big patches on MS Paint, 255 red and 255 green. When you apply LUT3D desaturation of those near P3 primaries should be visible.

What is P3?

Prior to using DwmLutGUI.  To verify my .icc profile loads with Display Profile  Loader as soon as Windows 10 loads after a couple of seconds I would see a noticeable colour shift. Additionally I use a 3D LUT with Reshade in games and when I load the 3DLUT with the .icc profile I would notice both gamma and colour changes.

Thank you

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

I can’t seem to edit but @vincent is this what I should use

https://www.wide-gamut.com/test

Then apply the 3D Lut and if there is a desaturation in colour then I know it has applied correctly into Windows DWM and will work across all applications and games.

Thank you

Vincent
    Participant

Use MS Paint

Jonathan Olave Aravena
    Participant

Good morning, I’m using a translator. I registered in the forum to congratulate you on this great program that you have done. and please ask if there is the possibility that the program starts automatically when you start windows. It is a detail that would make the use of the program even more comfortable. I have tried the task scheduler but without success. I reiterate my thanks, greetings.

dogelition
    Participant

Good morning, I’m using a translator. I registered in the forum to congratulate you on this great program that you have done. and please ask if there is the possibility that the program starts automatically when you start windows. It is a detail that would make the use of the program even more comfortable. I have tried the task scheduler but without success. I reiterate my thanks, greetings.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the task scheduler is the only way to make a program autostart as admin. The v2.1 version should automatically apply the 3D LUTs on boot if you add it to the task scheduler with -apply -minimize arguments. Not sure why it’s not working for you.

nelldrip
    Participant

Hello.
    Thanks for your amazing work.

One unfortunate thing is that this tool is not available in HDR mode.

Even in HDR mode, you can calibrate monitor with using Video Equalizer or Lightillusion tools to overwrite the VCGT, it correct the white balance and brightness map.
    If you can use the 3D LUT for calibrate, it is more advanced and preferable than doing it in 1D alone.

For example, in NLE for HDR grading, using 3D LUT with below order, mapping LUT and corrects according to the standard of PQ / 2020 created with DisplayCal, the display of philips 326m6vjrmb/11(Display HDR600 ) becomes very similar as calibrated PA32UCX.
    I compared hardware calibrated PA32UCX and calibrated 326m6vjrmb/11 using HDR graded video for UHD BD, I think that this flow was enough to calibrate for viewing.

If your tool can calibrate using 3D LUT in HDR mode, it will be an ideal calibration method for HDR displays.

dogelition
    Participant

Hello.
    Thanks for your amazing work.

[…]

If your tool can calibrate using 3D LUT in HDR mode, it will be an ideal calibration method for HDR displays.

Thank you! Unfortunately, I don’t have an HDR monitor, so it’s kinda hard for me to add proper support for it. Can you try the pre-release build I just uploaded (under Releases)? I think that might work for displays in HDR mode (while dropping support for SDR), but I really have no idea as I can’t test it myself.

nelldrip
    Participant

Thank you for your support.

I tried it on Windows10 21H1 and RTX2060(studio driver 472.12), but it didn’t work as expected.

make a LUT that matches the absolute value of PQ/rec.2020 in the range of 0.03-580cd/m2 and display gamut(actual measurement of Philips 326M (Display HDR 600)) using DisplayCal, and applied it in the test version.

As a result of applying the LUT, it becomes completely saturated in the SDR range.
    Probably that the LUT is applied only to the SDR range by the DWM, and the mapping for HDR acts as the mapping for SDR in the SDR range.

For reference, the characteristics of simple calibration using VCGT (1D LUT) by VideoEqualizer, the operation screen when calibrating with 3D LUT using TVMW7, and the difference in colour tone before and after are attached.

1D LUT(VCGT) edit with VideoEqualizer, this process is enough for correct white balance and gamma characteristic, but not correct gamut map.

Apply 3D LUT with TVMW7

Before calibrate Philips 326M(HDR graded footage)

After calibrate Philps326M with 3D LUT(HDR graded footage),
    this is very similar to the original look on PA32UCX(calibrated by ASUS calibrate software)

dogelition
    Participant

Thank you for your support.

I tried it on Windows10 21H1 and RTX2060(studio driver 472.12), but it didn’t work as expected.

Thank you for your feedback! I did some investigating and I think I figured out how scRGB, the format that Windows uses internally for HDR, works. I don’t have any experience with HDR, but I made a new version that hopefully works. It requires a LUT that uses BT.2020/PQ values as input and output (I assume this is the standard for HDR LUTs?). Please try the new pre-release and tell me if it works properly now.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS