Human observer metameric failure

Home Forums Help and Support Human observer metameric failure

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Guillaume
    Participant

So recently Vincent pointed the fact that I can see the calibrated white of my CCFL monitor differently compared to my White LED monitor. I would like to know more about this. Is there some papers I can read ?

Vincent
    Participant

Search about RIT modeling observer variation vs std observer . Paper was about a 7 LED theoretical display that can lower observer variation, but  as you request you can see several overlaped individual observers and get a hint about variation on several 3 primaries display
    https://s3.cad.rit.edu/cadgallery_production/storage/media/uploads/faculty-f-projects/1304/documents/239/modeling-observer-metamerism.pdf
    That web has also other papers about observer metamerism, browse a littl: https://www.rit.edu/

For more information about observer variability you may check directly CIE documents.

Of course if your comparison was made only on colorimeter readings, colorimeter correction may be wrong or firmware data may be wrong. It’s difficult that colorimeter is wrong, firmware is wromng (i1d3) and also a 3nm reading from a NIST traceable xrite spectrophotometer at 3nm is also wrong… statistically thispoint to individual observer variatiosn vs std observer.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Guillaume
    Participant

Thank you very much

As the conclusion said if the peaks are narrow, human metameric failure are more likely to be seen. In fact CCFL monitors are more prone to this cause of narrow peaks compared to LED “gaussian nature”. If I understood well ?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Guillaume.

Vincent
    Participant

Color coordinates are not just spectral power distribution, they are multiplied by “observer” then integrated over visible wavelegths. Your eyes do something close in an “analogic/chamical” way.
    You may be overall close to std observer, some places wavelength  some wavelength under sensitive, so an SPD extended over a broadband is expected to return results close to std observer.
    But if SPD has very narrow peaks, color coordinates are weigthed only by small range of wavelengths. Statistically you may be over/undersensityve there even if overall you are close to std observer across visible wavelengths.

Guillaume
    Participant

In my case I could be sensitive to some wavelengths of blue and red with my CCFL panel. The result lead me to reduce red and blue to get the same white as broader White LED spectrum. In fact when I go outside, pure white appears blue and when their is mist or fog hitten by the sun, I get a blue tint. I actually don’t know if that’s cones’ saturation or how my brain interpret the information. Are QD OLEDs displays prone to metameric failure ?

Vincent
    Participant

Are QD OLEDs displays prone to metameric failure ?

IDNK, check in AVSforum, there was a thread about measuring these SPD and may find users’ visual feedback.

Guillaume
    Participant

OK thank you for all your insights ! 😀 If I have other questions related to this subject, I will post there. THX once again

Guillaume
    Participant

I have a question that appeared in my mind recently. Is there safe wavelengths to avoid metameric failures ? I would like to know

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS