Macbook pro 14/16 mini led

Home Forums General Discussion Macbook pro 14/16 mini led

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author

matck06
    Participant

Hello everyone,

following apple’s announcement on the new macbook pro 14 and 16, i wanted to know if the correction”LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)” can be used on these new mini led type screens ?

thanks in advance

Vincent
    Participant

As long as they are exactly P3, nothing more, nothing less they are extremely likely to use the same WLED PFS variant with P3 green.

Edit: but you’ll need to take an SPD read at 3nm or better spectral resolution to be 100% sure.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Vincent.

matck06
    Participant

As long as they are exactly P3, nothing more, nothing less they are extremely likely to use the same WLED PFS variant with P3 green.

Edit: but you’ll need to take an SPD read at 3nm or better spectral resolution to be 100% sure.

I am a beginner but I can try to understand, how to do this? to do this ( SPD read at 3nm or better spectral resolution)

Vincent
    Participant

But, rent or borrow an spectrophotometer like i1Pro2, take a reading in white with ArgyllCMS spotread or make a CCSS with DisplayCAL or other equivalent method.

SPD=spectral power distribution , “energy per wavelength”

matck06
    Participant

But, rent or borrow an spectrophotometer like i1Pro2, take a reading in white with ArgyllCMS spotread or make a CCSS with DisplayCAL or other equivalent method.

SPD=spectral power distribution , “energy per wavelength”

Thank you for the information for I will inquire about this.

yesterday I tested the profile the factory calibration and I got these results. one with the correction matrix and another without the correction matrix.

I will try to calibrate it this evening with the same settings as the macbook air M1.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

It seems that profiles created on the fly by macOS are somehow faulty, or that DisplayCAL does not recognize them properly: they report a D65 white and also attach a CHAD matrix which when chain applied by DisplayCAL results in a profile whitepoint of >9000K.
    It does not matter for color managed apps since white is always relative when rendering to screen, but beware using built-in profiles for LUT3D creation with abs intent.

Regarding actual measurements with the proper CCSS seems expected results for other macbooks, cooler white than D65 but close to “whites” curve and good neutral grey.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

Fei Taishi
    Participant

hope you can do a hdr/sdr profile tutorial for new miniled macbook pro!

It’ll be much more efficient than answering each question individually.

Thanks

matck06
    Participant

It seems that profiles created on the fly by macOS are somehow faulty, or that DisplayCAL does not recognize them properly: they report a D65 white and also attach a CHAD matrix which when chain applied by DisplayCAL results in a profile whitepoint of >9000K.
    It does not matter for color managed apps since white is always relative when rendering to screen, but beware using built-in profiles for LUT3D creation with abs intent.

Regarding actual measurements with the proper CCSS seems expected results for other macbooks, cooler white than D65 but close to “whites” curve and good neutral grey.

Thanks for the info, so you think the “PFS Phosphor WLED IPS LCD, 99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)” profile is problematic for calibration?

Vincent
    Participant

Thanks for the info, so you think the “PFS Phosphor WLED IPS LCD, 99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)” profile is problematic for calibration?

No. It is the right one like I said on my first message. Same for all P3 Apple displays.

Vincent
    Participant

hope you can do a hdr/sdr profile tutorial for new miniled macbook pro!

It’ll be much more efficient than answering each question individually.

Thanks

They are like all other Apple display. Default settings in DisplayCAL.

HDR cannot be calibrated since it is a built in translation between HDR input signal (Rec2020 PQ encoded or sibling) to actual panel capabilities (gamut, contrast, brightness, FALD…).
    Same for other monitors or TVs: unless there is a vendor 3rd party tool that allows a patch generator to send native gamut signals with HDR backlight ON to profile display and calculate a full LUT3D HDR calibration (with whatever rendeing intent / mapping you want for OOG colors)… there is little to nothing you can do. HDR modes are as you see them out of the box, mostly non correctable.

matck06
    Participant

Il semble que les profils créés à la volée par macOS soient en quelque sorte défectueux, ou que DisplayCAL ne les reconnaisse pas correctement : ils signalent un blanc D65 et attachent également une matrice CHAD qui, lorsque la chaîne appliquée par DisplayCAL, donne un point blanc de profil >9000K.
    Cela n’a pas d’importance pour les applications gérées par couleur car le blanc est toujours relatif lors du rendu à l’écran, mais méfiez-vous d’utiliser des profils intégrés pour la création LUT3D avec une intention abdominaux.

En ce qui concerne les mesures réelles avec le CCSS approprié, des résultats semblent attendus pour d’autres macbooks, plus blancs plus frais que D65, mais proches de la courbe “blanche” et d’un bon gris neutre.

Merci pour l’info, alors pensez-vous que le profil “PFS Phosphor WLED IPS LCD, 99 % P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)” est problématique pour l’étalonnage ?

Non. C’est le bon comme je l’ai dit sur mon premier message. Idem pour tous les écrans P3 Apple

Thank you very much vincent!

just one last question, am I using the 1st profile apple 1600 nit xdr p3 (the one used by default) or the apple p3 500 nit (the second choice of the system)?

and here are the settings to calibrate my screen in attachments everything is good in the settings? (this calibration will be used for photo editing and web publication)

Thank you very much Vincent hoping to help other owner of macbook mini led

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by matck06.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

P3-D65  setting with true tone & auto brightness OFF.
    For print (under D50 light) to screen comparision use P3-D50 setting (with native or D50 whietpoint target)

IDNK if P3-500nit preset will have some kind of FALD messing up with measurements.

matck06
    Participant

Yes yes I was counting on deactivating true tone and auto brightness.

I will then try the apple xdr 1600 nit p3 profile first and also apple p3 500 nit and post the results of the verification tests to you.

with the verication tests you can tell me which one is the right profil one to use?

Vincent
    Participant

Yes yes I was counting on deactivating true tone and auto brightness.

I will then try the apple xdr 1600 nit p3 profile first and also apple p3 500 nit and post the results of the verification tests to you.

It has no use to calibrate that with Displaycal. Explained above.

with the verication tests you can tell me which one is the right profil one to use?

Mostly P3-D65, P3-D50 presets and you may try with the same profile obtanied for P3-D65 to validate P3-500nit and see if with an extended verification chart  FALD mess with predicted color informed by ICC profile. Same with default factory/driver profile accuracy.

Regarding HDTV/sRGB preset just open or run some full screen non color managed app and see if it’s working. These modes have no other use in a color managed desktop.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

matck06
    Participant

Okay then no need I will stick to the target profile and calibrate from Apple p3 xdr 1600 nit as you advised me.

I will send you the results once done.

yes an application other than capture one because this one manages the different profiles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS