Macbook pro 14/16 mini led

Home Forums General Discussion Macbook pro 14/16 mini led

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author

matck06
    Participant

for the 1A / 1B I had to put the “display” profile on displaycal because the measurement report was grayed out and I could not run the test if I did not add this ..

also why would option 2(d65 p3 + wp modified) be more accurate than option 1 (d65 p3 + modified wp + icc displayal applied in colorsync)? displaycal would have done a worse job than the original ?

you think that option 2 is more precise for the colors and the photo edition?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by matck06.

matck06
    Participant

***the 1A / 1B there is no icc profile added I only have the d65 photograpie p3 with the WP modified using displaycal there was no calibration

Vincent
    Participant

The results of DisplayCAL icc is a GPU calibration to correct gamma to 2.2 instead of default sRGB-like + a profile simplified to match resulting grey with 1TRC an d a matrix.

If you want (close to) constant gamma 2.2 non color managed => you want displaycal calibration.
    But photoshop & capture1 .. etc, are color managed, even macOS desktop so this will ot affect you.
    As asid before, once ypu tweak white point to match your desired coordinates using a custom “P3” preset, you can keep using default profile since it looks that is an accurate decription of “uncalibrated display” (in a whitepoint relative way of course, WTPT x CHAD issues explained above)

Of course you can create an additional displaycal profile without calibration, only display description (no VCGT, or linear VCGT)

TL;DR
    -Create custom preset (P3 gamut) to make white be whatever whitepoint you want, from actual measurements (with WLED PFS CCSS colorimeter correction)
    -Use it with default DisplayP3 ICC from apple.
    Most users will find this easier and faster.

matck06
    Participant

I’m really new to color management and it’s complicated to understand everything, no what I’m looking for are precise colors for retouching my photos on capture one for publication, so I have to agree to the profile “apple p3 d65 photography” and wp modified with white measurement and wled pfs parameter 99%

but over time the precision will be less good therefore impossible to recalibrate the screen?

Vincent
    Participant

I’m really new to color management and it’s complicated to understand everything, no what I’m looking for are precise colors for retouching my photos on capture one for publication, so I have to agree to the profile “apple p3 d65 photography” and wp modified with white measurement and wled pfs parameter 99%

but over time the precision will be less good therefore impossible to recalibrate the screen?

You are calibrating “white” (just that) right now. As display ages white point will drift => use the same procedure like you did now to correct white. Here Default Aplle ICC still is a match when white is corrected.

If after some time grey drifts, with higher dC errors (color) or gamma errors upon profile validation, then use DisplayCAL to correct it in a 1xcurve+Matrix+VCGT profile.

Fabio Pili
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry about drift over time with any good quality modern display, really. Yeah, I know we’re supposed to calibrate often and we all should if we’re basing important or costly color decisions on that display. But that said, I tracked all my monitors over years and the differences are not huge. You can see my results and a visual representation of the worst color patches here. I’d be comfortable calibrating every 6 months, really.

matck06
    Participant

I wouldn’t worry about drift over time with any good quality modern display, really. Yeah, I know we’re supposed to calibrate often and we all should if we’re basing important or costly color decisions on that display. But that said, I tracked all my monitors over years and the differences are not huge. You can see my results and a visual representation of the worst color patches here. I’d be comfortable calibrating every 6 months, really.

For now I get this with the profile d65 photography p3 100Cd and the white point adjusted (attachments) I would see in 1 month the result of the extended verification test, but already it gets a DE worthy of a high monitor. range, what do you think?

I really like your article I really thought that the calibration was to be done often

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

matck06
    Participant

Good evening @Vincent, I performed new tests

I tried to calibrate with the display leaving the tone curve on as “measured” with displaycal still with the d65 p3 and wp adjusted

and the second with the tone curve on 2.2 and still with the d65 p3 and wp adjusted

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

1st one is “do not calibrate”, just measure and build a custom ICC that only using 3 primaries coordinates and a true neutral TRC (but measinging actual gamma). And it’s close to what apple reports in its vendor ICC, but DisplayCAL ICC contains actual WP so if you needed you can use this (simple, matrix) taylor made “profile only, no caibration” ICC for making LUT3Ds if needed. Exclusing those absolute rendering intents used for some LUT3D, that simple, idealized taylor made ICC should be equivalent to vendor ICC provided by Apple.

2nd one has VCGT grey calibration to 2.2 (which is different from factory TRC ~sRGB) so it’s limited to whatever M1 SoC VCGT LUT can offer.

matck06
    Participant

For photo editing on the web you advised me the 1st or 2nd option?

Vincent
    Participant

1st one since color managed apps do not care abut TRC as long as profile & display match. Or keep using vendor ICC from Apple.

Also try to do the same with a D50 white custom preset (same settings as 1st, but create a preset in macOS for D50, actual D50 from measurements).. just in case you’ll need it

matck06
    Participant

Ok thank you anyway the icc displaycal profile (with the tone curve on measured) coupled with the icc call d65 profile does not change anything visually it just brings a delta E of 0.27 instead of 0.50 I do not see any difference on the colors and the white point

Vincent
    Participant

Ok thank you anyway the icc displaycal profile (with the tone curve on measured) coupled with the icc call d65 profile does not change anything visually it just brings a delta E of 0.27 instead of 0.50 I do not see any difference on the colors and the white point

Because as explained several times before those 2 profiles have no calibration, just describe how display behaves (and both are a close match to display). And even Apple ICC was broken (due D65 x CHAD matrix=> reported WP ~9000K in ICC) Photohop, CaptureOne and all other color managed app uses relative white point rendering intents from image to screen… so it does not matter. It was written on previous posts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@vincent so your recommending that with the built in display at the MacBook Pro 14/16” we just adjust the white point with apples fine tune and that we not doing the ICC profile?

I’m using 1profiler with PFS profile and not white led don’t understand why people on the internet are saying that the new xdr displays for 14/16” are white led . It’s PFS or well it’s closer.

Edit; the fine tune feature is really cool I did measure sRGB profile and it showed 85/cdm2 I did just change it in fine tune and wola all of my profiles was corrected (apple ones)

matck06
    Participant

I calibrated using displaycal by unchecking the gamma curve and the color temperature, since I fine tuned it to 6500k on the d65 photography dci p3 profile. Then I applied the icc profile on colorsync

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS