Macbook pro 14/16 mini led

Home Forums General Discussion Macbook pro 14/16 mini led

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author

Fabio Pili
    Participant

So did you figure something out how to add your custom ICC?

Using the Colorsync Utility to assign the profile seems to work fine. It changes the response, so we know the profile is being applied, and also survives reboots and passes a verification report.

Of course, take my comments with a grain of salt since I don’t have the machine here and I’m relying in other people to test.

By the way, if you have a few minutes and would like to contribute, there’s one question still open here on my list: does changing the preset also change the canned ICC profile for the display in any way?

The file name seems to remain the same, but I’d like to know if there are any internal changes to it. The best way to test is to select any of the P3 presets, copy the ICC profile, change the preset to sRGB and make another copy.

The file will be located under /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/ and the filename will be similar to Color LCD-17D8112G-2A64-01CC-B3F2-8F30Z101B230.icc

I’ll report back here with any new information.

Thanks!

Fabio Pili
    Participant

Just tested it with another user and it seems that the default profile doesn’t change in any way with the presets. Even if selecting sRGB, the profile still informs a P3 wide gamut.

He’s having a bit of trouble with Argyll on the latest MacOS Monterrey and Apple Silicon chip so we couldn’t test a raw output using dispwin, but it seems that the presets actually change the output downstream, on the GPU path, as Vincent suggested.

We tested a calibration using i1Profiler / ccProfiler and the resulting profile is closer to sRGB than P3, no matter the preset, which is strange. My first guess would be an incorrect calibration matrix, but his results are about the same in terms of gamut for both White LED and PFS Phosphor presets. Actually, White LED seems closer to the correct white point, while the profile generated using PFS Phosphor has the gamut vertices kind of skewed.

So now I’m curious if the results using DisplayCAL are closer to P3 or if we’d need a new calibration matrix for that particular kind of backlight. Or if there’s any user error involved, or software bug.

Had anyone here been able to generate a good profile for those displays with DisplayCAL? How’s the measured gamut?

Vincent
    Participant

He’s having a bit of trouble with Argyll on the latest MacOS Monterrey and Apple Silicon chip so we couldn’t test a raw output using dispwin, but it seems that the presets actually change the output downstream, on the GPU path, as Vincent suggested.

Download ArgylCMS 2.21, unzip, link it manually to DisplayCAL (File, locate argyll executables, set the “bin” folder of new Argyll)

We tested a calibration using i1Profiler / ccProfiler and the resulting profile is closer to sRGB than P3, no matter the preset, which is strange. My first guess would be an incorrect calibration matrix, but his results are about the same in terms of gamut for both White LED and PFS Phosphor presets. Actually, White LED seems closer to the correct white point, while the profile generated using PFS Phosphor has the gamut vertices kind of skewed.

My guess is that patches are being tagged to sRGB.

So now I’m curious if the results using DisplayCAL are closer to P3 or if we’d need a new calibration matrix for that particular kind of backlight. Or if there’s any user error involved, or software bug.

Very unlikely to be other thing than WLED PFS… but an SPD reading should be done to be sure

Had anyone here been able to generate a good profile for those displays with DisplayCAL? How’s the measured gamut?

Page 1 validating default profile.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

Vincent
    Participant

Even if dispwin is not working you can measure:
    -open a displayP3 image (with that profile), set red 255 in a big pathc, set green 255 in a big patch.
    -use another computer, plug i1d3 colorimeyer to that computer.
    -use “spotread” in that other computer with i1d3 placed on miniled mac, over P3 255 red patch, etc…
    https://www.argyllcms.com/doc/spotread.html
    spotread -X PathToMacbookP3.ccss -x
    (-x => show CIE xyY coords so you can place it in a 2D gamut plot)
    (optionally use “-Q 2012_2” param while measuring a white “255,255,255 patch” … just a test)

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

matck06
    Participant

I was successful with displaycal using this video:https://youtu.be/cLl01EjHU3Q

@vincent
    Tell me what you think of these results thank you

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by matck06.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

He is using wrong EDR, it is NOT a White LED.

He could be using 95% P3 CCSS (Panasonic VVX) bundled with xrite software since a few years ago or DIsplayCAL. Mac P3 screens are sligthly different on green and DisplayCAL CCSS fro P3 mac should be a little more accurate. Just plot CCSS and you’ll see the difference. Depening on i1d3 firmware  it may lead to a small or big error on WP.

Also he coud have taken a white reading with another laptop and the spectrophotometer and see it by himself…  but chose to do not. 😀

Useless review with the exception of custom white point shift which is a cool feature (and as I said before relies on “know” TRC and good grey out fo the box)

Regarding your profile & cal , all is OK, but you may not needed it. Assign back default profile, validate with that custom WP you set with custom preset in macOS preferences. It should be close without further correction on grey… all that was off was WP.

matck06
    Participant

@vincent

Thank you Vincent, you advised me to take the “default D65 p3 photograph” profile (this is the one I used for the calibration) and modify the WP as previously with the same values ​​but without calibrating with displaycal?

“all that was off was WP” I didn’t understand this part of your post

Vincent
    Participant

That video teaches users how to set “internally” (likely GPU assisted) a custom WP for a Mac with miniled screen. Take actual measurement of white, show it to macOS and upon de assumption of exactly P3 native gamut and factory TRC, macOS recalculates “gains” for RGB channels that leads to desired coordinates. It’s explained on the video.
    It’s a very cool feature, AMD cards have a more limited version on this for Windows but only in b* axis. I’m 99% sure that is GPU assisted so any computer can do it, just needs that gpu vendor programs it into the driver (that’s what Apple did). I hope this feature will be available to all in near future.

Your first messages showed us a verification report of some D65 preset agains default ICC profile. All was OK with the exception of WP which was cooler than expected (cooler than CIE 1931 2degree D65)

Since all was OK with the exception of whitepoint… use macbook miniled white point customization as instructed on the video, then verify default profile. Since all was OK (excluding WP) it should be OK after whitepoint customization.

You can use WP customization as instructed on video for whatever SDR preset you want. P3-d65 photo or P3D65-500nit should be a common choice for most users.
    Base P3D50 preset + custom whitepoint for actual D50 coords or specific paper+lamp can be used too.

matck06
    Participant

@Vincent

Moreover for the white point I chose the coordinate (0.3127 (x) 0.3290 (y) target) as the desired value on the macos parameters and I measured on displaycal with the profile d65 p3 photograph (0.3092 (x) 0.3245 (y) measured)

the problem with the apple P3 500nit and also 1600 nit profile we cannot modify the white point this is locked these are the only two profiles where we cannot modify the white point.

I will try the d65 photograpie p3 profile with just the modified white point and measured the results to see if that is better than the displaycal calibration.

Attachments:

Fei Taishi
    Participant

hope this can help

matck06
    Participant

@fei taishi I provided answers with vincent above

@vincent
    the customizable white point is well locked with apple p3 500 and 1600 nit…(attached screenshot)

Attachments:

matck06
    Participant

So I carried out tests this afternoon and I admit being quite lost.

all the tests are in d65 photography p3 with and without icc displaycal profile of course on the white point and always validated in the mac os settings

1)  1A /1B : on test 1A and 1B (attachments) I have no icc displaycal profile just in d65 p3 photography and white point modified on macos so I get these results.

2) 2A /2B : on test 2A and 2B (attachments) I have no icc displaycal profile just in d65 p3 photography and white point modified but I modified the “current” (red frame)parameters to put that of my icc profile without of course putting the icc displaycal profile in colorsync.

3) 3A/3B : on the 3A and 3B test (attachments) I am with the icc displaycal profile, d65 p3 photograph and modified white point (these are the same parameters in the result of last night)

@vincent

I have to choose what?

option 1) icc displaycal + d65 p3 photography +modified WP (these are the same settings as last night with the same result necessarily)

option 2) just d65 p3 photography + modified WP

Thank you

Attachments:

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s correct it’s locked and the other profiles you can’t change the brightness on. It’s kind of irritating.

My guess is that apple will release a fix or similar to this as so many people are upset with it.

matck06
    Participant

I also specify that any macos icc profile copied like apple p3 500/1600 nit or photos p65 and blocked in candela, we can put the value that we want like 80cd 100cd 400cd but it remains blocked on the other hand we can modify the WP etc. …

@rstolpe i don’t think apple will make this changes

Vincent
    Participant

1A/1B, no need to select simulation profile and use sim profile as default display profile fro a mac out of the box with aa tweaked WP via custom preset.
    Of course if you have put manually your custom profile from DisplayCAL in ColorSync, it is done as you did. OK => without deselecting your current profile in ColroSync, just validate if certain ICC prorile matches creen withput GPU calibration at all.

So once you have tweaked the “RGB gains” (let’s call it that way even it’s on GPU) with a customized preset… it matches default profile. It can be used without creating a custom profile. Just correct whitepoint and enjoy for mac

=> Option 2 seems OK.

About, “Measured vs. display profile whitepoint ΔE*00” it’s a DisplayCAL bug or an Apple bug, I had to go to ICC spec and see whi is the culprit.
    Anyway, DisplayCAL reads a D65 white on profile and chains the CHAD matrix resultig in that expected (fake) blue whitepoint that DisplayCAL reports as “profile whitepoint” . This should not be an issue for PS using default Apple profile, but if you see something weird, notify it.
    Benq suffered something like that in their Palette Master ICCv2 , they included PCS D50 white (regardless of actual whitepoint) and forget to add CHAD matrix… and since PS renders to screen in relative whitepoint it does not matter.
    This stuff about incorrect WP x CHAD useing Apple or Benq palette master Elements should worry you when using those ICC profiles for creating a LUT3D: use relative intents, not absolute.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS