I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 326 total)
  • Author

MW
    Participant

I noticed some near black elevation compared to novideo_srgb when looking at gradients.

XYZLUT ICCs do something similar to BPC for rendering intents other than Perceptual. Assuming 3DLUT rendering intents are the same a potential fix is to change to something other than default “Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling”.

Does anyone know which option is closest to default except it assumes infinite contrast?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by MW.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

I tested all the rendering intents and they behave the same with regard to near black. So don’t mind my reply above.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by MW.

Jaylumx
    Participant

The tool is behaving as intended with a couple of exceptions.  It applies the SDR LUT to Elden Ring and MadVR in HDR mode which gives it a washed out look.  So far these are the only ones I have found where this happens otherwise this tool is fantastic.

dogelition
    Participant

It applies the SDR LUT to Elden Ring and MadVR in HDR mode

Very interesting, I have no idea how/why that could even happen. It only applies the SDR LUT to DWM’s backbuffer when its format is DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM, i.e. 8 bit RGB. So the only way I can see that happening is if DWM is converting HDR to 8 bits… I never looked into how Windows does HDR dithering, are you perhaps using Windows’ HDR mode with your GPU output set to 8 bits instead of 10?

Jaylumx
    Participant

It applies the SDR LUT to Elden Ring and MadVR in HDR mode

Very interesting, I have no idea how/why that could even happen. It only applies the SDR LUT to DWM’s backbuffer when its format is DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM, i.e. 8 bit RGB. So the only way I can see that happening is if DWM is converting HDR to 8 bits… I never looked into how Windows does HDR dithering, are you perhaps using Windows’ HDR mode with your GPU output set to 8 bits instead of 10?

Cheers for reply.

GPU is in 10 bit RGB mode and was not using Windows HDR as both application automatically switch to HDR mode when run.

dogelition
    Participant

both application automatically switch to HDR mode when run.

Oh, that explains it. That means they’re not using Windows HDR, but NVAPI (or whatever the AMD equivalent is) HDR. AFAIK those are basically hacks that shouldn’t be used anymore, and dwm_lut doesn’t support them (good to know that it doesn’t result in a crash though, at least).

Jaylumx
    Participant

both application automatically switch to HDR mode when run.

Oh, that explains it. That means they’re not using Windows HDR, but NVAPI (or whatever the AMD equivalent is) HDR. AFAIK those are basically hacks that shouldn’t be used anymore, and dwm_lut doesn’t support them (good to know that it doesn’t result in a crash though, at least).

That is good to hear.  Is it possible for dwmlut to ignore NVAPI calls and not apply a lut to it?

dogelition
    Participant

I’d have to look into how those APIs actually do their thing, but since it currently just “looks” like SDR to the injected dwm_lut DLL, I’m not sure if there’s a way to detect that type of HDR from within the DWM process.

speedy
    Participant

Has anyone benchmarked the performance hit from running dwm_lut?

SuspiciousPixel
    Participant

Has anyone benchmarked the performance hit from running dwm_lut?

In games yes I did:

Post #34072 (Page 8)

speedy
    Participant

Use novideo_srgb if you own a Nvidia GPU.

Thanks. Found the tool on Github and it works very well. No performance loss. However I found what maybe bugs, quibbles:

• Using dual monitor setup. My second screen took a while for the colours to clamp. The screen was whitewashed and after 10 seconds the profile was correctly applies. (This didn’t happen for my Primary monitor where the profile instantly clamped correctly)
    • After rebooting my PC it took long to get back into Windows. Normally I am in my desktop within 10 seconds but took around a minute after using   novideo_srgb. (I’ll obviously test this again later)

Are you saying that there’s no performance loss in your tests when using dwm_lut? Thanks!

Draganche
    Participant

Hi, first post here, itried instaling this tool but i cant seem to get dwm_lut.dll, i did managed to start gui but says it needs that dll file. instaling msyss2 requiers some minhook to be installed which i cant understand.

can someone please share compiled dwm_lut and dll .
    Im sorry but this is ridiculous, im not a programmer, why this is not .exe install from the start?

dogelition
    Participant

No need to compile anything! Just click the big “Download latest release” link, that contains everything you need.

Draganche
    Participant

No need to compile anything! Just click the big “Download latest release” link, that contains everything you need.

goshh i havent even seen that there 😀 sorry

btw. importing cube into it gives me washed out colors compared to display cal profile loader.
    i disabled display cal before instaling cube lut in dwm lut

S Simeonov
    Participant

goshh i havent even seen that there ???? sorry

btw. importing cube into it gives me washed out colors compared to display cal profile loader.
    i disabled display cal before instaling cube lut in dwm lut

Did you set the gamma properly?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS