New user, some questions please

Home Forums General Discussion New user, some questions please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lynk
    Participant

I just bought a Calibrite Display Pro HL to use for my dual displays:

Samsung Odyssey G95NC
    Samsung LC49G95T

Followed the video here for initial setup and used ‘Spectral: LCD Quantum Dot LED (Samsung QLED Q9) / sRGB for both.

Reset both of my monitors and disabled things as suggested. Calibrated first monitor fine with the other powered off and then installed the created profile. (Powered off to reduce light sources)
    I then powered off the previous calibrated monitor and completed the second display. (Powered off to reduce light sources)

So i noticed when i was done that my display settings on the first monitor did not retain upon power off/on. How does Display Cal work around this or am i missing a save option somewhere in the display settings (couldn’t find one avail).

Also, after doing both monitors, i realized i had HDR enabled on both in OS..i disabled this and wanted to know if this is a recommendation to leave off for optimized profile and color accuracy?

I did just stumble on this post but not sure if still same situation or not.

Short Calibration guide for Samsung Odyssey G9
    byu/katalysis inultrawidemasterrace

Note: I do have the latest monitor fw installed on both displays.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Lynk.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Lynk
    Participant

I think my monitor settings will save post power down/on if i change picture mode to custom. Tested and looks to remain intact..guess i need another run on both lol.

Leave HDR off?

Vincent
    Participant

So i noticed when i was done that my display settings on the first monitor did not retain upon power off/on. How does Display Cal work around this or am i missing a save option somewhere in the display settings (couldn’t find one avail).

DisplayCAL does not modify monitor settings. There is no DDC/CI. If you have modified monitor RGB gains or changed OSD preset or brightness and after power off and power on those values are not kept it is monitor’s fault.

Very strange behavior

Also, after doing both monitors, i realized i had HDR enabled on both in OS..i disabled this and wanted to know if this is a recommendation to leave off for optimized profile and color accuracy?

Actually, HDR comes “as is” and there is little you can do about that. It’s a black box that accepts some HDR signal encoded in Rec2020 and PQ and then translates to monitor capabilities, for example 400nit, 2000:1 contrast window, 94% P3 native gamut. It may apply some cooked tone mapping that deviates from direct translation & clipping.

What you may tru to do is to characterize display responde on that mode, feeding Rec2020 PQ patches to display and getting CIE XYZ response. With that charaterization stored on a XYZLUT profile you may try DWMLUT to rung a GPU shaders HDR LUT3D calibration. Ther emust me a thread about that here… I have not done it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS