DisplayCAL is dead, time to move on, what alternative you choosed?

Home Forums General Discussion DisplayCAL is dead, time to move on, what alternative you choosed?

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Raj S
    Participant

There is a fork of HCFR that is kept maintained with various bug fixes not present in the main version. It’s available from the HCFR AVSforum thread in one of the recent replies.

Old Man
    Participant

I still use HCFR too and it’s still probably the best tool for calibration (DisplayCAL for profiling). I disagree about updates though. Both softwares need updating

Old Man
    Participant

Are you talking about the popular fork on github? Easier to find there

Samazar
    Participant

Thanks Erkan and SirMaster,

I want to use DisplayCAL and HCFR to calibrate my home theatre projector.

I presume DisplayCAL would need a 3DLUT box, is that right?

What Colorimeters do you both use?

Old Man
    Participant

If your source isn’t a PC or something else that can handle either a 3D LUT or an ICC profile and you want to use a 3D LUT, then yes, you’ll need a LUT box.

The only consumer-level colorimeters worth using are the i1d3’s (I recommend the calibrite colorchecker display plus). There are better options if you want to spend thousands

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Ah yeah I see Old man already replied, no need to use a LUT box if you are feeding the display through a computer.

Samazar
    Participant

@Old Man – My source is not a PC and so a £D LUT box might be the way to go. Are 3D LUT based profiles different for SDR and HDR. Are 3D LUT boxes capable of applying the right profile based on the incoming metadata e.g REC709, HDR10, HDR10+ or DV? Also there are 3 colorimeters available from calibrite: Display Plus HL, Display Pro HL and Display SL,

@Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz – Thank you for your input.

Old Man
    Participant

You would need separate 3D LUT’s for SDR and HDR, yes. Be warned, HDR calibration is extremely difficult. I think it would depend on the box whether it can do what you’re asking. Try to find an old calibrite colorchecker display plus if you can. Otherwise, I guess I’d go with the new plus

Alex Hawk
    Participant

hi Erkan, i understand correct that i can’t use it on Win?

Viewing 9 posts - 61 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS