DisplayCAL is dead, time to move on, what alternative you choosed?

Home Forums General Discussion DisplayCAL is dead, time to move on, what alternative you choosed?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

Here is a cheap 3DLUT box that works with DisplayCAL format.

Can do 4K60p, wide color gamut, etc

<iframe width=”474″ height=”550″ loading=”lazy” title=”Blackmagic Design Micro Converter Bi-Directional SDI to HDMI 12G” type=”text/html” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” src=”</iframe&gt” rel=”nofollow”>https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_qkRt2LxxOebRQx&asin=B09LQH75G8&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe&gt;

The only limitation is that it can only hold one 3DLUT at any given time, although loading a different one only takes seconds if you have its USB port connected to a computer.

What benefit is this over DisplayCAL, and isn’t this for video ?

People were mentioning 3DLUT boxes for use with DisplayCAL which is why I posted this.

This is a box that you insert between the source and display and it can perform a complete calibration to the signal for the display.

Works with any source, so if you are playing media from a disc player or streaming box or game console, etc.

DisplayCAL on its own only really calibrates for a PC that an perform the video transformation for calibrating the signal before the display.

SirMaster
    Participant

HCFR is free and can be used with a Raspberry Pi4 as a pattern generator to do manual calibrations

I tried HCFR many years ago with a n Xrite dtp94 colorimeter to calibrate my projector and managed to get decent results. Is HCFR still maintained? Have developers upgraded it? Is it available for Mac?

It’s updated a bit when it needs to be here:

https://github.com/arthur-liberman/hcfr-code

No, it’s not available for mac.

Samazar
    Participant

HCFR is free and can be used with a Raspberry Pi4 as a pattern generator to do manual calibrations

I tried HCFR many years ago with a n Xrite dtp94 colorimeter to calibrate my projector and managed to get decent results. Is HCFR still maintained? Have developers upgraded it? Is it available for Mac?

Thanks or the info. Have you used it? – is it just as good as Calman, Chromapure and ColourSpace?

I don’t use Windows, I guess I could try running it with WineBottler.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Samazar.

SirMaster
    Participant

Thanks or the info. Have you used it? – is it just as good as Calman, Chromapure and ColourSpace?

I use it all the time to calibrate everything from monitors to TVs to projectors.  SDR and HDR, etc.

I think it’s great and it does everything you would need it to do.

Is it as good as other really expensive software?  IMO yes as it will measure and report all the same types of measurements.

Samazar
    Participant

I use it all the time to calibrate everything from monitors to TVs to projectors.  SDR and HDR, etc.

Is it as good as other really expensive software?  IMO yes as it will measure and report all the same types of measurements.

That is really good to know, what colorimeter do you use? – I may decide to get a new one. The i1Display seems to be a good one but from what I’ve read, they are locking them to specific software. SpyderX seems to just as good as the i1Display and is not locked. Have you had any experience with the SpyderX?

Have you had the chance to compare HCFR with ColourSpace ZRO?

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Samazar
    Participant

<iframe width=”474″ height=”550″ loading=”lazy” title=”Blackmagic Design Micro Converter Bi-Directional SDI to HDMI 12G” type=”text/html” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_qkRt2LxxOebRQx&asin=B09LQH75G8&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe&gt;

The only limitation is that it can only hold one 3DLUT at any given time, although loading a different one only takes seconds if you have its USB port connected to a computer.

Have you tried this product?

SirMaster
    Participant

That is really good to know, what colorimeter do you use? – I may decide to get a new one. The i1Display seems to be a good one but from what I’ve read, they are locking them to specific software. SpyderX seems to just as good as the i1Display and is not locked. Have you had any experience with the SpyderX?

Have you had the chance to compare HCFR with ColourSpace ZRO?

I like HCFR more as I as just used to its UI and layout.

I tried Lightspace ZRO back when it was free and it seemed harder for me to use and either it was missing some functionality or I just couldn’t find it.

Again I see nothing missing from HCFR for SDR and HDR10 calibration, so I see no reason to pay for anything.

I use an i1 Pro 2 spectro to profile my i1 Display Pro colorimeter for the displays I calibrate.

SirMaster
    Participant

<iframe width=”474″ height=”550″ loading=”lazy” title=”Blackmagic Design Micro Converter Bi-Directional SDI to HDMI 12G” type=”text/html” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” src=”</iframe&gt” rel=”nofollow”>https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_qkRt2LxxOebRQx&asin=B09LQH75G8&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe&gt;

Have you tried this product?

Not personally, but I know someone who does and he likes it.

Samazar
    Participant

Thanks, that makes sense.

I do like the idea of a 3D-LUT box that can do both SDR and HDR in conjunction with DisplayCAL. Ideally the box would detect the colour space and switch to the right LUT.

SirMaster
    Participant

Thanks, that makes sense.

I do like the idea of a 3D-LUT box that can do both SDR and HDR in conjunction with DisplayCAL. Ideally the box would detect the colour space and switch to the right LUT.

Well that one i linked can only do SDR 3DLUT.  HDR 3DLUT are more complicated.  Also it can only hold 1 3DLUT,  but with USB connection to a PC it can be swapped out quickly and easily.

EP98
    Participant

I used all 4 Calman, Colourspace, DisplayCal and HCFR

I prefer Colouspace over the rest. I like it’s interface and features. And it’s 3D LUT creation is really fast. Alot faster then DisplayCal.

But most of the time I use HCFR & DisplayCal over the rest. Mostly because it’s free and I have it installed on all my computers. While Colouspace is only installed on my laptop. I think I can only install it on one computer at a time.

I also have Colourspace for it’s ability to install internal luts to LG OLED’s. If you want features to connect directly to LG TV’s to install internal luts Calman and Colouspace are the only options.

Function wise you’ll get all that you need on HCFR and don’t need paid software. Pair that with a Pi4 which can output bit perfect patterns so you won’t have issues that may be cause with the GPU or OS.

Kyler Boudreau
    Participant

Hey Erkan — Just found your fork of the software on Github. Thank you! So is this the way to go vs the version here on this site? I started out with this version on my M1 mac and it worked, but saw your fork so removed the one and just installed your copy. About to give it a go.

Samazar
    Participant

Hi Erkan – have you been updating DisplayCAL? – Is it available for Apple Mac?

SirMaster – are you still using HCFR? has been updated in recent times?

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

@samazar yes I’m maintaining DisplayCAL and it is available in MacOS currently as a Python package installable through pip, you can follow the instructions in the GitHub page:

https://www.github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

SirMaster
    Participant

Yes I use HCFR all the time and know many others who do as well.  It works great and I don’t really see any need for any update.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS