DisplayCAL is dead, time to move on, what alternative you choosed?

Home Forums General Discussion DisplayCAL is dead, time to move on, what alternative you choosed?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

There is some issue that may need to get addressed some time: ArgyllCMS USB signed drivers.
    If you have setup DisplayCAL against an argyll version 2.1.2, displaycal download signed drivers so it’s easier to use fro i1Pro2 users for example.

IDNK what are the requirements to generate signed drivers for ArgyllCMS. It seems that Florian packed them and signed them up to ArgyllCMS 2.1.2 to DisplaYCAL can install it easily. Newer versions have no signed drivers packed by Florian AFAIK.
    INDK if Erkan can compile/generate C signed drivers for Windows.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Sorry guys it is out of my knowledge. I’m mostly working on Linux. But installing the unsigned drivers when I tried ArgyllCMS in Windows was not a huge issue as I remember.

Oleg
    Participant

I am getting this fatal error:

Detecting output levels range…
    DisplayCAL: Inhibited org.gnome.SessionManager
    CDObjectNotFoundError(‘dbus.exceptions.DBusException: DBusException(“device id \’xrandr-eDP-1\’ does not exist”)’)
    DisplayCAL: Temporarily installing sRGB profile…
    DisplayCAL: Trying device ID ‘xrandr-eDP-1’
    About to overwrite existing /home/oleg/.local/share/icc/DisplayCAL Linear Calibration sRGB Profile.icc
    Writing /home/oleg/.local/share/icc/DisplayCAL Linear Calibration sRGB Profile.icc
    CDObjectNotFoundError(‘dbus.exceptions.DBusException: DBusException(“device id \’xrandr-eDP-1\’ does not exist”)’)
    DisplayCAL: Uninhibited org.gnome.SessionManager

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Are you using my code?

If yes, then please create an issue at https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3/issues

If no, try to use my branch of DisplayCAL: https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

Mario Av
    Participant

Hello, Erkan . I am trying to install your code but unsuccessfully. it always gives me this error (although I have Pythgon 3.10 and upgraded pip3)
    I am far away from understanding what is happening here and if you could walk me through intallation process I were thankful a lot. thanks.

Could not link test program to Python. Maybe the main Python library has been

installed in some non-standard library path. If so, pass it to configure,

via the LIBS environment variable.

Example: ./configure LIBS=”-L/usr/non-standard-path/python/lib”

============================================================================

ERROR!

You probably have to install the development version of the Python package

for your distribution.  The exact name of this package varies among them.

============================================================================

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Hi please create an issue at this page: http://www.github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3/issues

Samazar
    Participant

Hi Erkan – that is really kind and generous of you, I would certainly not want a DisplayCAL to cease.

Let me ask you (and Florian too), would it be possible to introduce a manual calibration ability into DisplayCAL so that we can use it for projector calibration? The commercial apps suited for this kind of work are good but quite expensive. Alternatively, I wish there was a very reasonably priced outboard 3DLUT box/device that works with DisplayCAL and supports both SDR and HDR and could sit between the projector and an AV Receiver. Can this be done using a device like the Raspberry Pi ?

Samazar
    Participant

Found this LUT-Box but it is rather expensive and can only handle rec709.

https://www.aja.com/products/lut-box

SirMaster
    Participant

Here is a cheap 3DLUT box that works with DisplayCAL format.

Can do 4K60p, wide color gamut, etc

The only limitation is that it can only hold one 3DLUT at any given time, although loading a different one only takes seconds if you have its USB port connected to a computer.

Vincent
    Participant

Let me ask you (and Florian too), would it be possible to introduce a manual calibration ability into DisplayCAL so that we can use it for projector calibration?

Do you mean using TV or projector CMS  to fix primaries and n-point greyscale? Use HCFR, it uses ArgyllCMS code for measurement too. Windows only AFAIK.

Christopher
    Participant

<iframe width=”474″ height=”550″ loading=”lazy” title=”Blackmagic Design Micro Converter Bi-Directional SDI to HDMI 12G” type=”text/html” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_qkRt2LxxOebRQx&asin=B09LQH75G8&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe&gt;

The only limitation is that it can only hold one 3DLUT at any given time, although loading a different one only takes seconds if you have its USB port connected to a computer.

What benefit is this over DisplayCAL, and isn’t this for video ?

EP98
    Participant

HCFR is free and can be used with a Raspberry Pi4 as a pattern generator to do manual calibrations

lineweight
    Participant

Hi – I’m using displayCAL on an M1 mac. Having wondered whether it had reached a dead end it’s reassuring to hear it is being actively developed again. Thank you to those who are doing this.

My question – is there any benefit in me trying to install this new version at this point? It looks like I have to do it in some way using a package installer that I’m not really familiar with, and it looks like the plan is to eventually have it available as a standard mac app download. 3.8.9.3 seems to still run ok on my mac so it looks like I should continue using that for now, and keep an eye out for a future release of this forked version once it’s more accessible to mac users.

Does that seem sensible?

Samazar
    Participant

<iframe width=”474″ height=”550″ loading=”lazy” title=”Blackmagic Design Micro Converter Bi-Directional SDI to HDMI 12G” type=”text/html” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_qkRt2LxxOebRQx&asin=B09LQH75G8&tag=kpembed-20″></iframe&gt;

Thank you, that is really good to know. When it comes to TVs and projectors, I notice the fact that people carr out too separate calibrations, one for SDR (rec709) and one for HDR (rec2020). Since the later is a much wide gamut, can it not accommodate for rec709?

Samazar
    Participant

HCFR is free and can be used with a Raspberry Pi4 as a pattern generator to do manual calibrations

I tried HCFR many years ago with a n Xrite dtp94 colorimeter to calibrate my projector and managed to get decent results. Is HCFR still maintained? Have developers upgraded it? Is it available for Mac?

Any english HCFR forums?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Samazar.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS