DisplayCAL is dead, time to move on, what alternative you choosed?

Home Forums General Discussion DisplayCAL is dead, time to move on, what alternative you choosed?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author

sblantipodi
    Participant

As title.
    It’s now clear that DisplayCAL is dead.

The main dev doesn’t want to open source it and a project like that can’t rely on a single man.
    This is clearly a project that doen’t need attention anymore since the last release is from 2019.

What is a good alternative to DisplayCAL?

What are you using right now?

Vincent
    Participant

Ops, I should have wrote it here:

Reply To: Has the development of DisplayCAL been stopped?

There are no (free) alternatives with custom CCSS, ICC/LUT3D creation and unlocked i1d3 devices.
    There is “colorprofiler” (source forge) but it is more oriented to printing. Instead of making your own bats this tool makes them for you:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/cprofiler2020/files/
    Also AFAIK there is no USB signed driver over 2.1.2.

Even with “abandonware” status there is no better tool … and if there is, I wish to know:
    -xrite VCGT loader causes banding, same for basiccolor
    -basiccolor has no WLED PFS support, NONE of them
    -Spectracal/LightIllusion licenses are out of budget for 99.999% DisplayCAL users… and only LightIllusion is close to functionality available with DisplayCAL
    -Coraye is more printing oriented and licenses are not cheap.

Maybe making your own fork of 3.8.9.3

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Maybe making your own fork of 3.8.9.3

A line of work may be integrating current 3.8.9.3 with new work in LeDoge’s “novideo_sRGB” to greate vendor agnostic LUT-MATRIX-LUT from Argyll output so you can offer a GPU calibration aking to HW calibration in UP Dells or CS eizos to every monitor (nvidia cards), in addition of the more complex full LUT3D supported right know by current DisplayCAL and LeDoge’s DWMLUT (all cards)

That vendor agnostic LUT-MATRIX-LUT format could be used to upload HW calibrations to some monitor via  “modules”, using each vendor SDK DLL, but those vendor SDK DLL are old since Dell and HP remove custom lut-matrix uploading from SDK newer “public/free” versions. I see C****n shadow there…

Patrick1978
    Participant

As long as the software continues to work I see no reason to move to something else.  Especially as I am not aware of any free alternatives that come anywhere near the functionality of DisplayCAL.

If for some reason it does stop working on Windows I could always just move back to X-Rite’s software even though it is a huge step down, or just write some scripts to use ArgyllCMS in terminal.

sblantipodi
    Participant

As long as the software continues to work I see no reason to move to something else.  Especially as I am not aware of any free alternatives that come anywhere near the functionality of DisplayCAL.

If for some reason it does stop working on Windows I could always just move back to X-Rite’s software even though it is a huge step down, or just write some scripts to use ArgyllCMS in terminal.

our colorimeters will not last forever, new models will be released with no support from DisplayCAL. new windows releases could broke functionalities, software does not live long if not supported.

Vincent
    Participant

our colorimeters will not last forever, new models will be released with no support from DisplayCAL. new windows releases could broke functionalities, software does not live long if not supported.

DisplayCAL does not support colorimeters, ArgyllCMS does. DisplayCAL is mostly a GUI (although right now has other fucntionalities) to Argyllcms.
    If in near future Xrite releases a new i1d3 with different unlock code you’ll have to wait untill new Argyll is released (but v2.3 seems that can accept raw unlock code in some enviroment variable, I have not read this in detail).
    If in near future Datacolor releases a real alternative to i1d3, or if Xrite creates a new line of product, you’ll have to wait for Argyll too.

JREX
    Participant

As long as the software continues to work

It’s already broken on every distribution that has dropped Python 2, which is most of them by now.

SirMaster
    Participant

DisplayCAL supports new meters by way of ArgyllCMS updates which is still actively developed.

I am using software that is over 10 years old and not updated and it works just fine still.  Software can live a really long time without updates.

The main dev doesn’t want to open source it and a project like that can’t rely on a single man.

What is the meaning of this?  The source code is right on the main page where it’s always been.

https://displaycal.net/download/DisplayCAL.tar.gz

https://sourceforge.net/p/dispcalgui/code/HEAD/tree/

The alternative would be ArgyllCMS itself as DisplayCAL is primarily just a GUI for that.

Also the developer isn’t gone gone.  He last logged in 2 days ago.

https://hub.displaycal.net/members/fhoech/forums/replies/

As long as the software continues to work

It’s already broken on every distribution that has dropped Python 2, which is most of them by now.

Can you not just install Python 2 yourself and then DisplayCAL manually?  I thought Linux is supposed to be infinitely flexible and a user should be able to do whatever they want.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by SirMaster.

JREX
    Participant

Can you not just install Python 2 yourself and then DisplayCAL manually?  I thought Linux is supposed to be infinitely flexible and a user should be able to do whatever they want.

Of course you can do anything, but that’s not the point. Python2 is gone from most repos, for good reasons. Installing it on your system behind your package managers back is probably not a great idea. If nothing else, it’s massively inconvenient. For most practical purposes, Displaycal is no longer usable on Linux. Python2 going EOL has been known for many years, and Dispcal has been dragging its feet.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Hey guys,

I started porting DisplayCAL to Python 3.x now. And I’m happy to say that it started to breath. So the UI works with Python 3.9.7, albeit with a ton of bugs, I was able to calibrate and profile. But currently not able to install the created profile. But hopefully in short amount of time I’m expecting to fix those bugs too.

The GitHub repository is: https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

Feel free to pull and test the code, and please create tickets so we can smash those pesky bugs 🙂

The code needs to be installed as an sdist (install instructions are there and if it is not working for you, please create an issue). There are people volunteered to create proper RPM, DEB, APP or MSI packages for wide variety of OSes.

I would love to be the next maintainer for DisplayCAL with Florian Hoch’s permission. I’m intending to keep all the donation links to stay intact, so he and Graeme Gill of ArgyllCMS still benefit from the donations.

Let’s keep the future of DisplayCAL bright!

Cheers,

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Guys, I’m happy to let you know that the DisplayCAL is now working (https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3).

Please test it and please create issues for every single hiccup you encountered. There are very little automated tests, and I need the code to be tested constantly until we write enough tests that covers 100% of the code (which may not be possible).

tokr21
    Participant

Hey Ekran,

I’m curious what are your sources? I mean how come you port a program that is not open source?

I really support your initiative!

SirMaster
    Participant

Hey Ekran,

I’m curious what are your sources? I mean how come you port a program that is not open source?

I really support your initiative!

It is open source.

https://sourceforge.net/p/dispcalgui/code/HEAD/tree/

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Yeah, it is OpenSource and have a GPLv3 license.

Raj S
    Participant

I think the concern was about the source code not being the latest. On another forum, Florian mentioned having a private repo and doing work there.

SourceForge hasn’t been the place where DisplayCAL code development happens for over a year now. I moved to a different (currently private) repo.

( discuss pixls us/t/rip-displaycal/21775/75 )

It IS possible to fork from public v3.8.9.3, but probably inefficient. Who knows what progress Florian already made on his private fork?

Anyway, it doesn’t matter now. Seems the community fork is already underway.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Raj S.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS