I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 326 total)
  • Author

dogelition
    Participant

Try EEditGold – just tested it and I can confirm that that program can load/edit/save the values properly. Should be as simple as:

1. File -> import -> binary
    2. Set the Red/Green/Blue xy values under “Color” to the Iluminant-relative xy values as reported by DisplayCAL in the profile info
    3. File -> export -> binary
    4. Use CRU to add the EDID override to the registry

Евгений
    Participant

Unfortunately, after clicking on Color, it crashes. with an “index out of range” error, and a lot of information to report a bug…

I tried to run the program in compatibility mode with Windows 7 sp2, as well as on behalf of the administrator – it did not help.

Евгений
    Participant

And even that didn’t help.
    It looks like HP made some kind of non-standard EDID …

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

dogelition
    Participant

I tried some other EDID editor and it gave me an error as well. Don’t know enough about the format to figure out what’s causing these errors though.

I edited the EDID manually with a hex editor to match your profile’s primaries (and changed the checksum accordingly). I’ve attached the modified EDID – please try it and let me know if it works.

Attachments:

Евгений
    Participant

it seems that the AMD driver resists changes to the CRU (reboots, etc. do not help). despite the fact that DisplayCal says from 115%, the AMD driver cuts the colors as at 140% (this is very clearly visible in the red color)
    I even tried uninstalling the driver via DDU, then using EDID and installing the driver again. so the EDID values simply reset.

tokr21
    Participant

Just registered to tell you that I am very impressed with your tool. Have P3 monitor that obviously had oversaturated colors in anything other than color managed applications. Do you plan to add other color spaces like Adobe RGB and P3?

dogelition
    Participant

Just registered to tell you that I am very impressed with your tool.

Thank you!

Do you plan to add other color spaces like Adobe RGB and P3?

Are you talking about this tool (dwm_lut) or novideo_srgb (which has its own thread that doesn’t seem to get too much use)? The former is color space agnostic, as it simply applies the 3D LUT you generated in DisplayCAL, and you can select whatever source color space you want there. As for the latter, I did add exactly those color spaces to novideo_srgb in an update a while ago.

tokr21
    Participant

So maybe I’ll explain my setup.

I’m using LG32G850F, which is close to P3 gamut.

With displayCal ICC profile I was able to use color managed applications like Lightroom or Photoshop with proper color rendering.

Recently I found this thread and tried dwm_lut, imported my profile and got beautiful sRGB monitor with almost perfect color rendering system wise – now YouTube or games look just like they should without oversaturated color (measured with HCFR and there’s no color with dE higher than 2).

Now I thought I could use the tool to use .cube files that would allow me to easily switch between color spaces – say sRGB, Adobe RGB, P3 or monitor native to use with any app.

So I think it would be more convenient to use an app that has preset color spaces based on a single .cube file rather than creating separate .cube files and changing them.

Is noivdeo_srgb what am I looking for?

dogelition
    Participant

novideo_srgb (which only works with NVIDIA GPUs) will give you better performance, work across all applications including DRM’d and exclusive fullscreen ones, but will give you worse color accuracy (depending on how well-behaved/linear your monitor is). You need to decide if you want to make that trade-off.

So I think it would be more convenient to use an app that has preset color spaces based on a single .cube file rather than creating separate .cube files and changing them.

That’s not really possible with how 3D LUTs work (without it carrying some additional information). Suggestion: Create one 3D LUT and a folder with the dwm_lut files for each color space that you want to use. Use each copy of the .exe to assign one of the 3D LUTs to your monitor. Then, create one .bat file for each .exe which launches it with the arguments -apply -exit(or -disable -exit to disable it). That should give you a one (double-)click color space change (as long as dwm_lut isn’t running in the background already).

Евгений
    Participant

used the saturation setting in the driver at 94%. In my opinion, a good compromise, since it does not work out differently.

mat a
    Participant

Hi

Sorry off topic but apparently I have subscribed to this topic and I keep receiving updates.

Any ideas how to unsubscribe?

I can not find the option.

Thanks

tokr21
    Participant

novideo_srgb (which only works with NVIDIA GPUs) will give you better performance, work across all applications including DRM’d and exclusive fullscreen ones, but will give you worse color accuracy (depending on how well-behaved/linear your monitor is). You need to decide if you want to make that trade-off.

Great, just checked it out.

Happy to have Nvidia, the performance is better and works with Netflix / games. My monitor is quite linear and results with profile are awesome.

That’s not really possible with how 3D LUTs work (without it carrying some additional information). Suggestion: Create one 3D LUT and a folder with the dwm_lut files for each color space that you want to use. Use each copy of the .exe to assign one of the 3D LUTs to your monitor. Then, create one .bat file for each .exe which launches it with the arguments -apply -exit(or -disable -exit to disable it). That should give you a one (double-)click color space change (as long as dwm_lut isn’t running in the background already).

With novideo_srgb I can easily switch between color spaces so it’s enough. Works like a charm.

Suggestion though: it would be nice to have an ability to autostart and keep it in tray. Also switching profiles from tray would be awesome. Other than that perfect app. Thank you a million!

dr04e606
    Participant

@mat a Go into Profile -> Forums -> Subscriptions and remove topics for which you no longer want to receive notifications from there.

Does anyone have any experience of using dwm_lut on laptops with switchable graphics (AMD iGPU + Nvidia dGPU  / intel iGPU + Nvidia dGPU)? Are there any limitations or quirks?

Jaylumx
    Participant

I does not work.  When I click the red circle with the x it refreshes but does not remove the topic.

speedy
    Participant

I ran into some issues running dwm_lut as a scheduled task so I figured I’d share the attached screenshots showing my optimal scheduled task. This configuration will also quit DwmLutGUI and restart it when docking/undocking a laptop to detect any monitor changes.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by speedy.
    Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS