Colors changing on web (MacOS)

Home Forums Help and Support Colors changing on web (MacOS)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Tiago Pereira
    Participant

I have a BenQ PD2700QT that was calibrated some time ago to match my Air M1 screen (https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/nominal-tolerance-exceeded-vs-assumed-target-whitepoint/). I noticed a strange bug recently where my calibration is changing web colors (like backgrounds on the web, etc.). And it’s actually changing via software since if I take a screenshot with my Mac screen and another with the BenQ, the results are different.

I’ve noticed a strange bug where some sections of websites change their colors while interacting; I’ve now found that this only happens with my display cal calibration set. When I’m with the default calibration, this doesn’t happen. Here’s a quick video where I was able to emulate this perfectly with framer:

does anyone know why this happens? Is it related to my calibration settings?

Vincent
    Participant

You mean pink artifacts? Likely to be caused by the extremely limited Apple color management engine.

First of all ensure that you are using “matrix single curve profile with fake infinite contrast”. You can use DIsplayCAL-profile-info app for that. Matrix profiles are small and only describe display behavior by Primaries coordinates expecting perfectly additive behavior. Then check that TRC (gamma per channel) are equal, so display pfoiel stores fake perfectñy neutral grey, even if its has small anomalies in color response across grayscale. Then check that for RGB input =0, profile predicts 0 cd/m2 or 0nits output (fake infinite contrast / black point compensation).

If all these requirements are met its 99% likely to be an Apple color management engine bug maybe dealing with GPU LUT calibration (grey calibration) that default or synthetic profiles do not store (since they hold no grey calibration for GPU).

If your current custom made profile did not met those requierements remake display profile, but DIsplayCAL by default warns you about not using those default settings…. so if you did not use the proper settings it should have warned you in the past.

Tiago Pereira
    Participant

These pink things are guidelines from Framer, not a bug. I was talking about a change in the black tone on the page’s background. Looking closely at the black, you may see some changes happening while I interact with the page.

But I will try to recalibrate, thanks

You mean pink artifacts? Likely to be caused by the extremely limited Apple color management engine.

First of all ensure that you are using “matrix single curve profile with fake infinite contrast”. You can use DIsplayCAL-profile-info app for that. Matrix profiles are small and only describe display behavior by Primaries coordinates expecting perfectly additive behavior. Then check that TRC (gamma per channel) are equal, so display pfoiel stores fake perfectñy neutral grey, even if its has small anomalies in color response across grayscale. Then check that for RGB input =0, profile predicts 0 cd/m2 or 0nits output (fake infinite contrast / black point compensation).

If all these requirements are met its 99% likely to be an Apple color management engine bug maybe dealing with GPU LUT calibration (grey calibration) that default or synthetic profiles do not store (since they hold no grey calibration for GPU).

If your current custom made profile did not met those requierements remake display profile, but DIsplayCAL by default warns you about not using those default settings…. so if you did not use the proper settings it should have warned you in the past.

Vincent
    Participant

But I will try to recalibrate, thanks

Check profile first as explained, it will save time if profile is OK and it’s an Apple’s CMM bug.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS