Gamut Display Error or Scam ?

Home Forums General Discussion Gamut Display Error or Scam ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Christopher
    Participant

Recently when re-calibrating my monitor, I realized that there was output percentages for sRGB, AdobeRGB and DCI-P3 which are mentioned here. Although, it appears that the information isn’t helpful to say the least. Where is the information that tells me accurately how much percentage of the calibrated display for each gamut which the display is capable of displaying ?

From doing the most recent calibration, on a display which can display 99% AdobeRGB and it’s only producing 85% is really discouraging; there has to be something wrong, and if not; then calibration and most displays combined is a scam.  One can buy a monitor which claims it can show 99% AdobeRGB and 98% DCI-P3 but after calibrating the final result is the display can only show 85% AdobeRGB and only 82% of DCI-P3.  And if this is the case, what is the display doing with the other 15-17% clipping the colors, that seems to be the only answer.

And if what I mentioned is correct, then how can someone; strictly using Photoshop, display the out of bounds or clipped values regardless if there are ugly blotches of white or black on the image just so one can know where the colors are clipped ?

KenF
    Participant

There are many things that can affect your %. If you are not getting the full contrast, for example, then this alone could shrink your possible gamut. It could come from the settings you used to calibrate, the accuracy of your device, etc. Without more details, it’s hard to say why you did not achieve the stated gamut coverage. For example, how old is your monitor?

Christopher
    Participant

There are many things that can affect your %. If you are not getting the full contrast, for example, then this alone could shrink your possible gamut. It could come from the settings you used to calibrate, the accuracy of your device, etc. Without more details, it’s hard to say why you did not achieve the stated gamut coverage. For example, how old is your monitor?

The monitor is less then a year old. What other details do you need in hopes to not only resolve but understand why my results are not what I expected ?

Vincent
    Participant

Maybe the device you are using is not capable of accurate readings for that backlight technology or just you are not using it in a proper way (colorimeter corrections or high res mode for WLED PFS backlights and Xrite spectrophotometers)

Since you didn’t post such information, user fault/ device limitations seems the most probable cause. Post it and maybe we can help ypu

Christopher
    Participant

Sorry, but what information do you need to hopefully resolve this problem ?

Vincent
    Participant

Measurement device & measurement device configuration settings & monitor vendor, model and backlight type. That is exactly your problem.

Christopher
    Participant

The measurement device is the iDisplay Pro. Within DisplayCAL I have the profile type set to; Curves + matrix. The monitor is the ASUS PA329C, not sure about the backlight type on this monitor ?

Vincent
    Participant

Community database says PA329C is typical photo WLED -PFS, although very low quality like all these widegamuts from Asus or Benq (or LG, or Dell… etc).

So colorimeter correction should be WLED PFS phosphor 9x%AdobeRGB and 9x% P3 (HP Z24x G2 sample). It is bundled with the generic pack of CCSS corrections for i1d3 colorimeter in DisplayCAL, import them if you did not. Then choose that one in correction combo.
    You can use 3nm sample from community database as alternative (the one from Color Munki, do not use the oen from i1Pro since it was made at 10nm… 10nm is not enough fro these PFS phosphor)

Once proper correction is selected move to custom/user color OSD preset (or whatever Asus name put to user mode), make sure that you did NOT modify hue or saturation controls, or even beter reset all to factory values. Then just modify RGB gains (GAINS, not saturartion or hue) for white point and lower brightness till you get your desired white level.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Christopher
    Participant

WLED PFS phosphor 9x%AdobeRGB and 9x% P3 (HP Z24x G2 sample). It is bundled with the generic pack of CCSS corrections for i1d3 colorimeter in DisplayCAL

I’m searching for this in my DisplayCAL folder, I’m unable to locate ? Which is better choice the above mentioned or the 3nm sample from community database, and where can I find that as well ?

Vincent
    Participant

Just import the generic ones: https://displaycal.net/i1d3

User made are here, but do not use CCMX or 10nm samples: colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/

Christopher
    Participant

WLEDFamily_07 or PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17 ?

Then within calibration in DisplayCAL I set the White, Black & Tone curve to Custom ?

Christopher
    Participant

Sorry Vincent, I’m unsure which of the two profiles I should import; that of which I mentioned ?

Vincent
    Participant

I wrote above the monitor model sample. Download i1d3 generic corrections and use the one I wrote.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Vincent.

Christopher
    Participant

I’m attempting to install; PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17.ccss but within DisplayCAL and using, uploading colorimeter correction, I get an error; This colorimeter correction may not be uploaded ?

Vincent
    Participant

As I wrote previously, its HP Z24x G2 CCSS for WLED PFS with very high AdobeRGB and P3 coverage. Or use community CCSS 3nm, the one that looks easier to you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS