Gamut Display Error or Scam ?

Home Forums General Discussion Gamut Display Error or Scam ?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author

Christopher
    Participant

Use photoshop softproofing to display icc (do not use preserve RGB colors). Depending on displayprofile TRC some dark patches may show as out of gamut, ignore them.

Example: Image is a TIFF AdobeRGB, softproof to display ICC with relative colorimetric (“relative white” is the only way to do it). Then show out of gamut.

I should use soft proofing then load the ICC profile but turn off preserve RGB colors ?

No. Use softproof with that display profile (simulate like with a printer, how things look in that outout colorspace). By default the other setting should be off.

I was informed this method will not work because and a paraphrase; the colors in question are outside the monitor’s capabilities, therefore; I won’t see any difference ?

Vincent
    Participant

Use photoshop softproofing to display icc (do not use preserve RGB colors). Depending on displayprofile TRC some dark patches may show as out of gamut, ignore them.

Example: Image is a TIFF AdobeRGB, softproof to display ICC with relative colorimetric (“relative white” is the only way to do it). Then show out of gamut.

I should use soft proofing then load the ICC profile but turn off preserve RGB colors ?

No. Use softproof with that display profile (simulate like with a printer, how things look in that outout colorspace). By default the other setting should be off.

I was informed this method will not work because and a paraphrase; the colors in question are outside the monitor’s capabilities, therefore; I won’t see any difference ?

Use out of gamut preview and they will be grey (customizable) so you’ll see where they are placed (if any). I just said to ignore near black out of gamut colors.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Christopher
    Participant

For the proof condition customization in Ps, I should set the Device to simulate as my calibrated ICC profile but have the color space in Ps, set to; for example, DCI-P3 ?

Vincent
    Participant

but have the color space in Ps, set to; for example, DCI-P3 ?

No. Leave default colorspace as you have (I’ll use sRGB as default colorspace aon all monitors, including high end, since it applies only to untagged images, and unchek ask when profile mismatch, just ask when there is no profile)

I was talking about:

-Create an image with a colorspace you want to test. For example a DNG/NEF raw, open it and choose colorspace “X” as destination colorspace, for example P3 D65/Display P3.
    -Once raw is opened in Ps as an RGB image encoded in colorspace “X”, use softproof
    -On softproof choose as device you want to simulate current display profile. Do not chen preserve RGB numbers
    -Enable out of gamut, it will highlight colors outside device colorspace (out of gamut mark customizabe to whatever color you want).
    Ignore out of gamut near black colors.

These colors outside sRGB are un common: some plstic toys, fabrics with very saturated colors and some flowers. So this is a real world test if not seeing those colors in your dispay is a issue for you with your typical sample images.

P.S: of course if upon previous display profile inspection it falls short of advertised specs then feel yourself free to return to store and get a better one

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Christopher
    Participant

I recently did a hardware change; whereas one of my displays have changed. I have two questions, when the calibration is done with DisplayCAL; where is the information in percentages for sRGB and AdobeRGB and DCI-P3 ?

Vincent
    Participant

On popup after calibration & profiling. On display summary if you open profile info, open right textbox area, in the bottom.

Or recalculate coverages using ArgyllCMS command line iccgamut & viewgam (read doc)

Christopher
    Participant

On popup after calibration & profiling. On display summary if you open profile info, open right textbox area, in the bottom.

Or recalculate coverages using ArgyllCMS command line iccgamut & viewgam (read doc)

I searched the whole interface, I can’t find what you are referring too ?

Also, I checked the database for a CCMS file for Huion displays, I could not find ?

Vincent
    Participant

Popup window after calibration,

or open application profile info in DIsplayCAL folder, then open text on the right, bottom 3 coverages

Also, I checked the database for a CCMS file for Huion displays, I could not find ?

Database is fed by users… if there is no one with an Huion and an spectrophotometer… no data.

Christopher
    Participant

or open application profile info in DIsplayCAL folder, then open text on the right, bottom 3 coverages

Database is fed by users… if there is no one with an Huion and an spectrophotometer… no data.

Is there an equivalent CCMS file for Huion, I could try ?

Which file are you talking about which has the information at the bottom 3 coverages ?

Christopher
    Participant

Anyone could answer, I’d like to know ?

Vincent
    Participant

Is there an equivalent CCMS file for Huion, I could try ?

Which file are you talking about which has the information at the bottom 3 coverages ?

Display profile info, it will open a windows with a CIE xy or CIE a*b* graph and 2D plot. On the right there shoucl be a text window with information. If it is not showing, click on  a ( > ) button (vertical, narrow) and it will show. Scroll down and you’ll see coverages.

Also youcan do full comandline approach to calculate profile coverages to whatever colorspace you want

Christopher
    Participant

The only window I was able to find with alot of information was the Profile information Window.   The results of the calibration were, sRGB was 99.5% as typical with most displays today; AdobeRGB was around 91%. I was hoping to push this further if possible but how ?

Its as you know, not specific down to the gamut’s and the coverage of each gamut for the display, although is there some information which may be helpful within the Profile Information Window ?

Also youcan do full comandline approach to calculate profile coverages to whatever colorspace you want

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Christopher.

Vincent
    Participant

The only window I was able to find with alot of information was the Profile information Window.   The results of the calibration were, sRGB was 99.5% as typical with most displays today; AdobeRGB was around 91%. I was hoping to push this further if possible but how ?

If this was measured at native gamut… this is what you can get.

❓

viewgam & iccgamut command line applications. See ArgyllCMS documentation. One app generates a “gam” file with volume for each arbitrary colorspace that you want to compare (1 run for each), the other app compares gam files, calculate coverages, etc.

MW
    Participant

I was hoping to push this further if possible but how ?

Disable Rec.709 mode for higher sRGB coverage.

Christopher
    Participant

I was able to get 99% AdobeRGB at one point with calibration; I think it was a CCMS file to which I was loading.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS