Will there be SpyderX Support?

Home Forums General Discussion Will there be SpyderX Support?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Very interesting info ,  What in your opinion would be causing this ?

Are the internal device corrections constraining the measurement some how ?

Is the sensor getting too hot ?

Or possibly the i1d3 is wrong, and one of the two houses are lying in these outputs ? 😀

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Paulo Valdez
    Participant

ArgyllCMS 2.1.0 has been released, and there has been a small change for the SpyderX: It now asks for mandatory, unskippable sensor dark calibration before each measurement segment. While slightly annoying*, this helps low light repeatability quite a bit (making the SpyderX suitable for up to 3000:1 contrast displays as long as their black level does not go below roughly 0.04 cd/m2) and improves overall relative accuracy slightly

Interesting. Just as I thought with better driver support, the outcome for the spyder x has improved. I know it’s hard making proper drivers to a unit that you don’t have the full schematics of it. I’m not a programmer, but I think it’s basic common sense. But I really hope they can dial it in a bit more with better code in their drivers. None the less good out come.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Paulo Valdez.
    • This reply was modified 5 years ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Please don't quote whole posts

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Very interesting info , What in your opinion would be causing this ?

It’s just an instrument limitation. Have you read Graeme’s post in the AVSForum thread I linked?

Or possibly the i1d3 is wrong, and one of the two houses are lying in these outputs ?

The i1D3 is too consistent to be wrong here, and matches what others have measured on this TV model 🙂 (mind you, using ArgyllCMS it does adaptive integration time reads unlike the SpyderX)

Interesting. Just as I thought with better driver support, the outcome for the spyder x has improved.

Nothing in the driver has changed. Just the sensor dark calibration at the start of each measurement batch is now mandatory.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

When the sensor spec says  Counts / (uW/cm^2)

I understand what (uW/cm^2) is,  but what is the counts ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m pretty sure that’s photon counts. Higher counts means higher sensitivity which means better low-light capability.

Viktor
    Participant

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Just ignore these “reviews” when they are sponsored by the manufacturer of the devices in question 🙂

[ btw, I don’t agree that the SpyderX “is not accurat(sic) at all”. It seems like a step up from the earlier Spyder5 on the most commonly used display technology (white LED), it just isn’t as good as the cheaper ColorMunki Display ]

Cardinal Delos Reyes
    Participant

Hi thank you for the software support for SpyderX. I joined mainly on this forum because i am frustrated with Datacolor’s proprietary software bundled with my SpyderX pro. As a newbie with DisplayCal. A little step by step guide with this hardware will be awesome. Thanks and more power!

NPrime
    Participant

Yes, a step by step guide would be very helpful. How can I use ArgyllCMS 2.1.0_mod, to be able to skip instrument self-calibration?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You don’t need to (anymore). ArgyllCMS 2.1.1 has been released.

NPrime
    Participant

You don’t need to (anymore). ArgyllCMS 2.1.1 has been released.

Great! The update came just right. But..
    I updated ArgyllCMS to v2.1.1 and I`m still not be able to skip the instrument calibration (see Screenshot). The “Allow skipping of instrument self-calibration” option under “Options -> Advanced” is selected. I have also installed AgryllCMS instrument drivers (Tools -> Instrument -> Install AgryllCMS Instrument drivers). Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You cannot skip it entirely, it would be bad for black level accuracy. You have to do at least one initial self-calibration per measurement run, but if “allow skipping,,,” is enabled, it will be valid for half an hour.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Florian

it just isn’t as good as the cheaper ColorMunki Display

so if that’s true does this mean that the i1 display pro colorimeter is king among colorimeters ?

based on the following:

spyder x pro/elite released 2019(new improved and based on optical-lens-system) fast

spyder 5 pro/elite released 2016(based on honeycomb mesh) slow

xrite i1 display pro released 2011(based on optical-lens-system) last firmware update from 2014 – fast

either way it seems to me that beeing so old (i1dpro) the xrite people did something great all those years ago if even now it’s hard for datacolor to catch up. it’s a shame that open-hardware colorimeters aren’t so popular. i hear that color-hug has a spectrometer for 300 pounds in the works but it’s just a prototype.

but out of all the software for calibrations i used the displaycal seems the most advanced/precise and we can use it on gnu/linux which is really nice !

more power to you sir !

team128
    Participant

hi guys,

I’m a newbie graphic designer. I’m interested in buying i1Display Studio:  https://xritephoto.com/displaysolutions

because it is the cheapest from the Xrite and they said they discontinue the ColorMunki Display. so this seems to be the only choice for me.

but I do not see the support from Display CAL here: https://displaycal.net

if we look at Supported instruments we will see that it only support: X-Rite i1 Display Pro, ColorMunki Display but not the i1Display Studio, what should I do?

Should I buy the i1Display Studio right now and use the default program that come with it and then when Display Cal release support, I can switch to use Display Cal, do you think this is a good strategy, they will eventually support the i1Display Studio right? From you guys conversation it seems that the SpyderX is not a good candidate. I’m using 27″ Cinema Display

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1554/en_US/LED_Cinema_Display_27-inch_UG.pdf

please use newbie language with me don’t use jargon please, I don’t understand what you guys are talking about. All I know is basic drawing haha ^^” I know nothing about colour management stuff. All I know is I should calibrate my display somehow to get color accuracy.

otavio
    Participant

Hello Florian,

First I’d like to thank you for your dedication with displayCal. Amazing in every sense.

I’m facing the current conundrum, if you don’t mind helping someone across the globe:

-Spyder X is 50 dollars cheaper than i1 display  Studio ( current colormunki display) locally. Importing is out of the question because of

the heavy taxation in my country. Spyder X cost is the exact price in US$ as abroad (about 160 US$), readily available to me (here in 1 working day).

local X-rite distributor takes up to 10 days to ship.

I’ve read all the threads you linked and your tests on the Spyderx as well, so before my questions, here are my usage/scenarios:

-I’d like to calibrate/match 2 monitors at my current  home office. I work mostly with digital painting in Photoshop. One of the monitors is an LG IPS  and the second is my large drawing tablet display (also IPS). Neutral whites and dark blacks, good colors, as much as possible, are important.

With the following constraint:

With this makeshift, less than ideal confinement work environment at home, natural light enters my room, and I can’t do much about it for now.

Questions:

– For my usage, the price difference, availability,  do you think the Spyder X makes any sense? I kind of understand  some of the

instruments limitations, but since I don’t use oleds, plasmas or anything other than LED (for now anyway), do you think I can get good consistent enough results with the Spyder X / DisplayCal?

-Can I somehow use the ambient light sensor on the Spyder / DisplayCal to correct ambient light changes throughout the day?

I really wanted to get some i1D3 instrument, even if some used colormunki/ display studio/pro, to no avail.

I really appreciate your help, from the depths of the confinement.

Stay safe!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS