Will there be SpyderX Support?

Home Forums General Discussion Will there be SpyderX Support?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • Author

EL
    Participant

Damn I had missed Graeme’s post, thanks!

I agree on the review front, it is also why practially every (youtube) review is useless. They are just random (tech) enthousiasts describing some device they recieved. The review I linked does not provide direct comparisons either indeed, but the person seems to have experience with the various devices and the visible colors, though purely based on personal judgement and preference. That said, Graeme Gill posted his initial findings, which is great, I’m just a bit sad that I missed them earlier.  I will probably return the Spyder X, but will await the Colormunki first since, why not. The colors I get with it are closer to my macbook pro (using Apple’s calibration(!)) than I got with the spyder5. I have not calibrated that with the spyderx yet.

Again, thanks for tha answers and linking to Graeme’s post!

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I will probably return the Spyder X, but will await the Colormunki first since, why not.

Puts you in a good spot, you’ll be able to directly compare the devices for yourself, and return the one you don’t want to keep (the one drawback that the ColorMunki Display has against the SpyderX might be speed, i.e. it sounds like the SpyderX will be somewhat faster with the same number of measurements). Keep an eye out for an updated ArgyllCMS devel snapshot (see sticky in help & support forum), it might have SpyderX support in time to do a direct comparison of both devices with the same software (incidentally Graeme’s current publicly available devel code already has SpyderX support, but lacking my own SpyderX, I was not able to test it myself yet – I might put up an updated devel snapshot regardless).

EL
    Participant

As far as I understand it is fast indeed, but I don’t mind waiting for a calibration since I don’t plan on doing it often. The snapshots are or Windows I understand? Which is not my primary platform. Looking forward to any update you guys manage to release,  using the supplied SpyderX software confirmed -again- that DisplayCal is awesome 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’ve added the latest ArgyllCMS devel snapshot (Windows only). If a SpyderX owner wants to send me the output of running just dispcal (no arguments) from this snapshot (note that you also need to install the driver for the SpyderX manually, which may require turning off driver signature enforcement), that would enable me to add support in DisplayCAL as I’m still waiting for my own SpyderX (could have asked Graeme, but hey, why not source the community 🙂 ).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Added macOS snapshot.

EL
    Participant

Nice! I ran it without arguments, but it returns Diagnostic: Too few arguments.

providing -d with for either display gives a Segmentation fault (11), though that might be incorrect usage to begin with.

Let me know what I can do to help. I ran it like this as well:

./dispcal -r -d 2
    dispcal: Warning - new_dispwin: Frame buffer depth 8 doesn't match VideoLUT 10
    Place instrument on test window.
    Hit Esc or Q to give up, any other key to continue:
    Current calibration response:
    Black level = 0.0443 cd/m^2
    50%   level = 27.37 cd/m^2
    White level = 123.55 cd/m^2
    Aprox. gamma = 2.17
    Contrast ratio = 2790:1
    White chromaticity coordinates 0.3162, 0.3239
    White    Correlated Color Temperature = 6348K, DE 2K to locus =  1.9
    White Correlated Daylight Temperature = 6354K, DE 2K to locus =  6.2
    White        Visual Color Temperature = 6413K, DE 2K to locus =  1.8
    White     Visual Daylight Temperature = 6607K, DE 2K to locus =  6.0
    The instrument can be removed from the screen.

FVL7
    Participant

I’ve added the latest ArgyllCMS devel snapshot (Windows only). If a SpyderX owner wants to send me the output of running just dispcal (no arguments) from this snapshot (note that you also need to install the driver for the SpyderX manually, which may require turning off driver signature enforcement), that would enable me to add support in DisplayCAL as I’m still waiting for my own SpyderX (could have asked Graeme, but hey, why not source the community ? ).

I have a SpyderX and I’d love to help, but I’m pretty amateur when it comes to this.
    Can you give more detailed instructions?

I’m also a digital artist that needed calibration and bought a SpyderX too soon (should’ve waited for a proper comparison). Cheers

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have a SpyderX and I’d love to help, but I’m pretty amateur when it comes to this.
    Can you give more detailed instructions?

Thanks, already got what I needed (via PM, thanks to @EL).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

DisplayCAL 3.7.3 Beta (SpyderX support) Windows | macOS

You need the latest ArgyllCMS 2.0.2b development snapshot (see sticky in help & support forum).

Windows users need to install the ArgyllCMS instrument driver for the SpyderX:

1. Download https://displaycal.net/Argyll/Argyll_V2.0.2_beta_USB_driver_installer.exe.zip
    2. Unpack to your “Downloads” folder (no subdirectory)
    3. Launch DisplayCAL 3.7.3b. Point to ArgyllCMS 2.0.2b (menu “File” -> “Locate ArgyllCMS”)
    4. Choose menu “Tools” -> “Instrument” -> “Install ArgyllCMS driver” in DisplayCAL. It should detect the file in your downloads folder.

Paulo Valdez
    Participant

Hello,

I just recently bought a Spyder X it was on sale,  so I had to get it. I upgraded from a spyder 5. I was happy with Spyder 5, but it was too slow. I hope the Spyder X is faster and be supported by Displaycal. I will wait when the stable release comes out.

Thank you

Paulo

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by Paulo Valdez.

EL
    Participant

I think it works 🙂 It looks good and I would say slightly cooler than calibrated with the official software. The in-monitor calibration also yielded different results than with the spyder5.

Thanks for releasing the beta! Overall I am pretty happy with the result. I’m really curious how it compares to the Colormunki. I should be able to test it this week.3

edit: I believe it took about 6 minutes, but I didn’t time it!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 12 months ago by EL.

FVL7
    Participant

DisplayCAL 3.7.3 Beta (SpyderX support) Windows | macOS

You need the latest ArgyllCMS 2.0.2b development snapshot (see sticky in help & support forum).

Windows users need to install the ArgyllCMS instrument driver for the SpyderX:

1. Download https://displaycal.net/Argyll/Argyll_V2.0.2_beta_USB_driver_installer.exe.zip
    2. Unpack to your “Downloads” folder (no subdirectory)
    3. Launch DisplayCAL 3.7.3b. Point to ArgyllCMS 2.0.2b (menu “File” -> “Locate ArgyllCMS”)
    4. Choose menu “Tools” -> “Instrument” -> “Install ArgyllCMS driver” in DisplayCAL. It should detect the file in your downloads folder.

DisplayCal can’t locate the Argyll exe on my computer (Windows).
    I’ve tried switching folders, but it doesn’t recognize the exe…

EL
    Participant

Ok, so I was able to compare it to the Colormunki. I did not install any software for the Colormunki, but I believe that is not required anyway. I only used the afore mentioned DisplayCal beta.

I am also new to using DisplayCal so I hope I am using the software correctly, especially if I want to compare two meters. For example, do I need to load a specific set of settings in that top bar? It selects the most recent metering by default I believe, but should I select something like Office & Web (D6.500 Gamma 2.2) -to get the correct settings (or something else) before I run it each time? It seems to make certain selections when I select a specifc metering device?

Regardless, the meters gave only slightly different results for RGB values for in-monitor calibration. I have my brightness set to 15, which is about 120cd/m2. RGB were 47-54-42 vs 49-51-43 for SpyderX and Colormunki respectively. The numbers were slightly different at that point but I don’t believe it is that interesting (right?)

Calibration on the SpyderX was faster, but I frankly don’t really care about speed. The resulting color profiles look very similar, near identical – so that is good. Switching between the two only showed a really tiny difference visible in the whites where the Colormunki is just a tinge warmer. I have only ran them once so far and will run them a couple more times while I figure out how to use DisplayCal.

Is it possible to see or get numbers on the Gamut coverage? Not just the volume?

Any comments, questions or requests are welcome.

Vincent
    Participant

MunkiDisplay or i1DisplayPro need a spectral correction to be very accurate.
    Suitable correction depends on display backlight tecnology.
    I do not remember which display you have but for example common IPS sRGB monitors can use ” LCD White LED IPS (WLED AC LG Samsung) <WLEDFamily_07Feb11.ccss>” bundled with DisplayCAL  fro i1d3 coloriemeters (it downloads common corrections from DisplayCAL site).

So first of all we need to know which one you applied.
    If you do not know which could be the more suitable one, just ask here with your  display model name (in the more acurate way you can write it).

AFAIK ArgylCMS beta does not use SpyderX corrections for several types.

So a “fair” test without a spectrophotometer would be IMHO:

1-Use Datacolor software with suitable bundled correction for SpyderX and your display to calibrate your display. Use a ICC v2 profile type that looks like DisplayCAL single curve+matrix (maybe it’s called just “Matrix” in Datacolor naming).

2-Use DisplayCAL and SpyderX to calibrate & profile your display. Do NOT modify RGB gains in your display. Use the same OSD settings that you get after Datacolor software made its job. White will be modified in ghaphics card LUT.

3-Select “settings = Curent” on top DisplayCAL combo box.
    Close it, choose Datcolor profile from DisplayCAL tray app (if you use Windows) or change it in OS control panel for display profiles (for OSX or other OSes)

4-Verify with DisplayCAL and SpyderX that profile. Save that HTML report with a meaningful name.

5-Close it, choose DisplayCAL profile made with SpyderX from DisplayCAL tray app (if you use Windows) or change it in OS control panel for display profiles.

6-Verify with DisplayCAL and SpyderX that profile. Save that HTML report with a meaningful name.

Now it’s time to test it against Munki Display.

7-Validate DisplayCAL’s SpyderX profile (the same you verified in “step 6”) profile using ColorMunki Display and suitable spectral correction.
    Optional: you can do the same for profile made with Datacolor software and “corrected measurements for SpyderX”, just remember to keep “settings = current, close Displaycal and load Datacolor profile from DisplayCAL tray app before verifiying thta profile.

Verify the following results:

Measured and profile white point coordinates (XYZ/xyY) for each profile. It is written on top of DisplayCAL report. Do not worry about “assumed white point” or “deltaE to assumed whitepoint” values.

-Grey neutrality (a* and b* values in verification for grey ramp, columns on the right)

Measured & profile “absolute” XYZ/xyY coordinates for 255 Red, Green and Blue (use absolute values checkbox in DisplayCAL report just for this, then choose “xyY” instead of L*a*b*).
    Profile values on the left, measured values on the right.

This way we can get a small hint about the impact of bundled corrections for SpyderX and against Munki Display.

If you wish attach here that 2 ICC profiles and 3 HTML reports (or 4 if you do the optional test).

Vincent
    Participant

I meant, we want to check

-SpyderX corrected vs SpyderX uncorrected:
    a small hint of that since AFAIK it is not supported by ArgyllCMS, so you use Datacolor software to calibrate try go get an idea of that against DisplayCAL profile: ICCs and HTML report verifications.

-SpyderX uncorrected vs Munki correted (Munki will be our “reference”):
    You create a profile with DisplayCAL and uncorrected Spyder X and you verify it with SpyderX and corrected Munki.
    This way  we can get a hint about SpyderX accuracy “right now” if you use it with DisplayCAL using a corrected Munki as reference (since we know that i1d3s are accurate if spectrally corrected).
    When Mr Gill makes ArgyllCMS work with SpyderX built in display modes you can repeat this test to get a better picture of how SpyderX performs.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS