Will there be SpyderX Support?

Home Forums General Discussion Will there be SpyderX Support?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author

HarryYTM
    Participant

Datacolor has released SpyderX on 2019 Feb 11, when will there be DisplayCAL support for it? Would love to know, thanks.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

FVL7
    Participant

I second this request!

Just bought a SpyderX Pro and I’m waiting to be able to use DisplayCAL.

HarryYTM
    Participant

The new Datacolor SpyderX Pro and Elite are now available in the store, but seems that some other DisplayCAL user report there is no support for DisplayCAL, may I know will there be support soon? Or I should buy a i1 Display PRO instead?

Datacolor Spyder X Official Product Page

Home

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by HarryYTM.

Vincent
    Participant

ArgyllCMS should support it before. DisplayCAL uses ArgyllCMS functionality.

Coping & Pasting what I said somewhere:

I would say that when a new colorimeter is on the market a lot of users would care about:

-support for 3rd party spectral samples for correction (avoid if possible to buy/rent spectros but be able to measure with some degree of accuracy)

-tool support: vendor (Eizo/NEC/Benq/Dell/etc), GNU (ArgyllCMS & its ecosystem), other (Basiccolor, Lightspace, etc)

-speed

-and of course overall accuracy out of the box & spectrally corrected

i1displaypro plays well in those 4 fields even if it is not the best. In order to consider “suitable for testing” that SpyderX needs to do the same at purchase time.

IMHO there is no reason to buy or even consider buying a SpyderX until these reasonable requirements are met: you have them in an i1d3.
    I suppose that 2nd one, ArgyllCMS support, is making advances.

Viktor
    Participant

why do pepole buy Spyder´s? they are so bad! 😛

HarryYTM
    Participant

The price for SpyderX Elite and i1 Display Pro are so close in the store(HKD $40 difference), maybe I should buy an i1 Display Pro instead.

HarryYTM
    Participant

why do pepole buy Spyder´s? they are so bad! ?

Yeah, Spyder 5 took me more than 1 hour to caliblate the screen with DisplayCAL with normal speed. Orz

The new SpyderX is using a lens design just like a i1 Display Pro, I wonder if the new one is really better than old Spyders.

Viktor
    Participant

i1 Display Pro  is the bst so far.  i dont now how the Spyder X Elite is tho..

Alex Sikorsky
    Participant

Do not confuse public opinion in narrow circles with the real state of affairs. Have you checked such statements or trusted them blindly? If the device satisfies the declared characteristics, then it performs the function assigned to it.

Viktor
    Participant

Do not confuse public opinion in narrow circles with the real state of affairs. Have you checked such statements or trusted them blindly? If the device satisfies the declared characteristics, then it performs the function assigned to it.

spyder is bad..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Alex Sikorsky
    Participant

spyder is bad..

Is the chrom. adaptation correction matrix used in these dimensions for each of the “devices + monitor”?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

spyder is bad..

Is the chrom. adaptation correction matrix used in these dimensions for each of the “devices + monitor”?

This is a test from a polish photographer/color guy/(supposed to be close to NEC) by nickname Czornyj on a NEC PA242W (widegamut GB-LED).
    He used a JETI to calibrate, then measure with several probes and plotted measurements, Spyder 4 and 5 were so off that there is no point buying or discussing them…. useless and discontnued devices.
    GB-LED is a LED widegamut technology with “broad” led & phosphor spikes so it should be easy to measure even for these lesser X-rite 10nm spectrophotometers. I mean it is not “difficult to measure” as PFS phosphors or blue laser projectors are.

BUT, Spyder4 and Spyder5 are not Spyder X and AFAIK they do not even share sensor/filter/lens design… so at this point of time we do not know if that Spyder X is worth considering.

Right now we do not know if:

-it is going to be supported soon by HW vendors (mostly NEC & Eizo, since other vendor like Dell or Viewsonic or HP is unlikely to support it)

-it is going to be supported by ArgyllCMS, but we can speculate that it is going to be supported soon

-it can or cannot use CCSS spectral corrections, since they are more or less portable for i1d3, so most people do not need an spectrophotometer

-it is accurate or not (out of the box or CCSS corrected)

so until these uncertainties are known… it is not wise to buy (or advice to buy) a Spyder X “right now” .

Viktor
    Participant

spyder is bad..

This is a test from a polish photographer/color guy/(supposed to be close to NEC) by nickname Czornyj on a NEC PA242W (widegamut GB-LED).
    He used a JETI to calibrate, then measure with several probes and plotted measurements, Spyder 4 and 5 were so off that there is no point buying or discussing them…. useless and discontnued devices.
    GB-LED is a LED widegamut technology with “broad” led & phosphor spikes so it should be easy to measure even for these lesser X-rite 10nm spectrophotometers. I mean it is not “difficult to measure” as PFS phosphors or blue laser projectors are.

BUT, Spyder4 and Spyder5 are not Spyder X and AFAIK they do not even share sensor/filter/lens design… so at this point of time we do not know if that Spyder X is worth considering.

-it is going to be supported soon by HW vendors (mostly NEC & Eizo, since other vendor like Dell or Viewsonic or HP is unlikely to support it)

-it is going to be supported by ArgyllCMS, but we can speculate that it is going to be supported soon

-it can or cannot use CCSS spectral corrections, since they are more or less portable for i1d3, so most people do not need an spectrophotometer

so until these uncertainties are known… it is not wise to buy (or advice to buy) a Spyder X “right now” .

Good explanation! 🙂

Alex Sikorsky
    Participant

spyder is bad..

I have i1DisplayPro, i1Pro2 (spectrocolorimeter EFI-2000), Spyder4, Spyder2. From that I built the matrix to them, and checked both devices, then checking third-party Spectrolino and i1Pro. The experimental was the wide-spread Nec MultiSync 2690 Wuxi. From that I have an idea about what I am writing. Above, I compiled the results of the latest calibration of my monitor using Spyder4.

“If the device satisfies the declared characteristics, then it performs the function assigned to it.” – How did you conclude that I was agitating to buy something? What does he follow from?

Alex Sikorsky
    Participant

spyder is bad..

This does not tell me anything, because the experience was initially set incorrectly! It was necessary to build a corrective matrix for this monitor for each instrument, then calibrate each of them separately and verify the result of such a calibration with a spectrophotometer. I don’t have JETI, but I don’t need it to build accurate profiles for groups of monitors working within one project.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS