LG 32EP950 (JOLED panel) and i1 Display Pro issues with Red

Home Forums General Discussion LG 32EP950 (JOLED panel) and i1 Display Pro issues with Red

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)
  • Author

Mark Walter
    Participant

Not at all. I have not said such things in my messages.

Sorry for the missunderstanding.

I ran a verification with the BT.709 HW/standard settings of the 32EP950 through the Video Card out via Displayport and the Decklink card. Both failed immensely.

At the moment I am doing a calibrating/profiling/3DLut generation as described in the WIKI . I will be happy to post the verification results here once it’s done.

OK, so here is the result of the HW/setting out of the box as you suggested. It failed enourmously:
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — UltraFine Pro @ -2560, 0, 2560×1440 — 2022-09-16 13-14

Then I did one within Resolve, also failed:
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 13-43

After that I did a Resolve calibrating/profiling/3DLut generation as described in the WIKI (Decklink OUT), because that’s the only way I can use a 3DLUT in Resolve; it’s not possible with clean feed. Looks like quite a good result.
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 15-01

Then I wanted to do the same through the HDMI out of my Radeon VII. because this way I could use the external LUT box (Biconverter 12G). Unfortunately with the HDMI out of the Radeon I don’t get a 10bit RGB 444 signal like with the Decklink card, but YUV 422; as soon as I use the BiConverter 12G between it, I only get 1080p; I have no idea why, without the BiConverter 12G I get 2160p. So this is not an option.

Looks like I have to stick with the Decklink Mini Monitor, because this way I can at least use a 3DLut within Resolve (Video Monitor Lookup Table). By the way, when I put the BiConverter 12G in this signal chain, I have no problems with 2160p – so it can’t be the cables.

Last but not least, I tried LG Calibration studio to calibrate. I have to say, I felt really comfortable using it. I did one with Gamma 2.4 and one with BT1886. The validation within the program was successful.
    UltraFine Pro_2022_09_16_18_27_28

But I wanted to check it with Displaycal, but again it failed completely.
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — UltraFine Pro @ 0, 0, 3008×1692 — 2022-09-16 18-34
    So maybe I am doing something wrong in Davinci Resolve, because it can’t fail by this much, right?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — UltraFine Pro @ -2560, 0, 2560×1440 — 2022-09-16 13-14
    Issue: Profile reference , “your Rec709” is wrong => gamma 2.0. Your reference should be Rec709 primaries gamma 2.4 or Rec1886 (since it has superb contrast)

Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 13-43
    Same as above

UltraFine Pro_2022_09_16_18_27_28
    Because it is using proper reference to compare, not because it changed monitor during calibration

Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — UltraFine Pro @ 0, 0, 3008×1692 — 2022-09-16 18-34
    Same as previpus attemps.

It is “User’s fault” configuring reference to compare against.
    Maybe you did not choose a custom gamma in simulation profile (because Rec709 is not meant to be a display profile)
    Overall factory calibration seems fine, neutral grey, WP on spot, gamma on spot, primaries on spot.
    Just happened that you configured verification in displaycal in a wrong way (because Rec709 is not meant to be a display profile, it has other TRC. not 2.4 or Rec1886)

=> DisplayCAL report show that display is OK if you can understand the numbers. dE errors com from comparisons against reference (a wrong reference)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Vincent.

Mark Walter
    Participant

It is “User’s fault” configuring reference to compare against.
    Maybe you did not choose a custom gamma in simulation profile (because Rec709 is not meant to be a display profile)

well, how can I set a different gamma curve? All I can select is Rec709 unmodified. If I change anything, the measurement button gets greyed out.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Looks like you did not install ever a display profile through displaycal. This buttons get unlocked then, myne are unlocked. Ask Erkan to avoid this “feature” in DisplayCAL fork for Python3 since DisplayCAL developer is not releasing new versions at least fro now. There is a thread about that.

Mark Walter
    Participant

Looks like you did not install ever a display profile through displaycal.

No I did not install the ICC-profile through DisplayCal. Wasn’t this the whole point to measure the display’s natural response (HW/settings and/or calibrated with LG calibration studio) through Displaycal?

After the calibration with LG studio, I got a measurement report from LG. I just want to verify the result again with Display-Cal (inside and outside Resolve). So would that be possible with DisplayCal?

Mark Walter
    Participant

In the meantime I did again a proper Resolve calibration/profiling/LUT generation as described in the WIKI through displayCal, but this time with the custom settings (Full Gamut, Gamma 24) of the monitor (not BT.709 as before).

I verified the LUT via “Devicelink profile” with video_xxxl chart and the result was really good:
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 20-57

Then I loaded the LUT into Resolve (Video Monitor LUT), and verified it again. “simulation profile as display profile” – “unmodified”(see screenshot 1)
    The first short report was fine:
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 21-57

But the second with 1k patches failed:
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 22-14

I really don’t understand why the last verification failed. Is this again due to a wrong setup of the verfication?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Looks like you did not install ever a display profile through displaycal.

No I did not install the ICC-profile through DisplayCal. Wasn’t this the whole point to measure the display’s natural response (HW/settings and/or calibrated with LG calibration studio) through Displaycal?

You di not get it. Once you install a profile, “one”, “sometime ago”, even years ago, it should get unlocked to whatever verification you want todo with whatever displayprofile or simulation profile+use as display profile you want.
    I do not like this “feature” because newbies cannot use it from scratch. Since I have been using displaycal for years, I got it unlocked a long time ago and I do not see the “limitations” a fresh install can show.
    IDNK whte DIsplayCAL programer set this lock button functions. You can ask Erkan who is doing a port to Python3 that all thsi functionality get unlocked by default. There is a thread about that port.

Vincent
    Participant

In the meantime I did again a proper Resolve calibration/profiling/LUT generation as described in the WIKI through displayCal, but this time with the custom settings (Full Gamut, Gamma 24) of the monitor (not BT.709 as before).

I verified the LUT via “Devicelink profile” with video_xxxl chart and the result was really good:
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 20-57

Then I loaded the LUT into Resolve (Video Monitor LUT), and verified it again. “simulation profile as display profile” – “unmodified”(see screenshot 1)
    The first short report was fine:
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 21-57

But the second with 1k patches failed:
    Measurement Report 3.8.9.3 — Resolve — 2022-09-16 22-14

I really don’t understand why the last verification failed. Is this again due to a wrong setup of the verfication?

Device link is an ICC equivalent to a LUT3D.

If LUT3D does not verify OK it is not loaded properly, or it has not the same resolution (number of nodes in the cube) hence it cannot capture the irregularities of display colorspace, or the interpolation engine in the app resposible for loading it is not working/configured as intended, or LUT3D was not computed from the two profiles as intened (but device link was).
    You’ll have to isolate the sources of error one by one. We cannot know where the error is in your system/setup without access to it.

Mark Walter
    Participant

You di not get it. Once you install a profile, “one”, “sometime ago”, even years ago, it should get unlocked to whatever verification you want todo with whatever displayprofile or simulation profile+use as display profile you want.
    I do not like this “feature” because newbies cannot use it from scratch. Since I have been using displaycal for years, I got it unlocked a long time ago and I do not see the “limitations” a fresh install can show.

No idea what you are talking about.

Mark Walter
    Participant

There is a thread about that port.

Could you please tell me what I have to look for? I just want to verify the hardware calibration I did with LG Calibration Studio with DisplayCal. How can I unlock this feature?

Wire
    Participant

Not to stray out of my lane… What Vincent is saying is that once DisplayCal is used to install a profile, for whatever reason it doesn’t matter, the options you need will be unlocked for verification on whatever terms suit you.

You:

Well, how can I set a different gamma curve? All I can select is Rec709 unmodified. If I change anything, the measurement button gets greyed out.

Vincent:

Looks like you did not install ever a display profile through displaycal. The buttons get unlocked then, mine are unlocked.

*** Ask Erkan to avoid this “feature” in DisplayCAL fork for Python3 since DisplayCAL developer is not releasing new versions at least fro now. There is a thread about that.

Mark Walter
    Participant

Not to stray out of my lane… What Vincent is saying is that once DisplayCal is used to install a profile, for whatever reason it doesn’t matter, the options you need will be unlocked for verification on whatever terms suit you.

thank you very much for your reply. Of course I installed many many display profiles through display cal over the years. Still it looks like this option is greyed out if you don’t verify a display profile that has been installed with display cal.

Vincent
    Participant

No idea what you are talking about.

Let’s say I calibrated my monitor 7 years ago using DIsplayCAL. Then I plug yours. Buttons are unlocked on my setup.
    IDNK other simpler way to explaint it.

I do not like that “feature”.

Vincent
    Participant

There is a thread about that port.

Could you please tell me what I have to look for? I just want to verify the hardware calibration I did with LG Calibration Studio with DisplayCal. How can I unlock this feature?

What you want to to is not related at all with Pythin 3 port, You are mixing different things in a mess. The port is about new developents (= request new things, https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/python-3-x-development-announcement/)

To unlock the button just install a profile in some monitor using your current  displaycal setup.

Vincent
    Participant

You:

Well, how can I set a different gamma curve? All I can select is Rec709 unmodified. If I change anything, the measurement button gets greyed out.

Vincent:

Looks like you did not install ever a display profile through displaycal. The buttons get unlocked then, mine are unlocked.

*** Ask Erkan to avoid this “feature” in DisplayCAL fork for Python3 since DisplayCAL developer is not releasing new versions at least fro now. There is a thread about that.

+1

thank you very much for your reply. Of course I installed many many display profiles through display cal over the years. Still it looks like this option is greyed out if you don’t verify a display profile that has been installed with display cal.

I do not see such behavior on my setup so IDNK what you did wrong or misconfigured.

Maybe someone who has installed DisplayCAL for the first time in the last years (latest version) may shed light on that bug/feature.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS