Python 3.x Development Announcement

Home Forums General Discussion Python 3.x Development Announcement

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Hi all,

I started porting this beautiful application to Python 3.x and also modernize the along the way.

Currently it is in development stage and in its current form, the UI is able to run with Python 3.9.7 and calibrating & profiling is working. But there are still a ton of bug that prevents the created profile to be installed. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I’ll be able to make it fully work.

You can check the repository on: https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

I need the code to be tested by as many people as possible so we can find the bugs and smash them.

I never had the opportunity to support DisplayCAL before (for ArgyllCMS, I at least was able to support it by buying the Android application). With this project I hope that I would give the biggest support that I possibly can.

Cheers,

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Oh I forgot to say that, with Florian Hoch’s permission I would love to be the next maintainer for DisplayCAL (to the best of my ability) or at least I would love to present my humble help with respect, as I guess there are a ton of other volunteers like me who would love to do the same.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Thank you, Erkan! I don’t have ability to make good test work and I don’t know Python, but I’ll be glad to see DisplayCAL living. I think, there will be separate bugfix thread some time later. Erkan, DisplayCAL lacks of some usefull and desirable features, some of them are not implemented in Argyll. I will publish the list later.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

I haven’t pushed my latest code yet. It fixes quite some errors. Anyway, I don’t expect to introduce new functionality until DisplayCAL fully functions with Python 3.9 and then I have some development projects around it. Then we may start introducing new features. But it is super early at this point.

Marcus
    Participant

Hello Erkan

I’m glad to hear that DisplayCal will survive. Is your code platform independent? If yes I would test your code sometimes under MacOS.

Bye
    Marcus

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Hey, yes it should be platform independent. But I haven’t tested it on MacOS yet. I’m doing my development under PopOS 21.10 and Fedora 35. The development is going well and it is fun. I’m getting used to the code itself.

Vincent
    Participant

kudos to Erkan’s work, waiting for a release version.

Marcus
    Participant

Hello Erkan

I’ve pulled the your repo and it’s possible to start the programms with Python 3.9.10 which I’ve installed over Homebrew. I also had to install wxPython to get rid of package warnings.

But now there are different errors left.

Are you interested in these errors? Or should I wait for your next repo push.
    I’m not a Python expert. I only use it for small automation and monitoring scripts at work.
    But maybe I can help you a little as a MacOS tester in this project :-).

Bye
    Marcus

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Yeah, please create tickets for those issues: https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3/issues

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Guys, I’m happy to let you know that the DisplayCAL is now working (https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3).

Please test it and please create issues for every single hiccup you encountered. There are very little automated tests, and I need the code to be tested constantly until we write enough tests that covers 100% of the code (which may not be possible).

Vincent
    Participant

Hi Erkan, since old DisplayCAL was “portable” (no instalation needed, https://displaycal.net/download/standalone/DisplayCAL-win32.zip), why do not try to put a ZIP release with the executables?
    DMG should be portable too, just move (there are some VM online to compile & generate DMG).

Although your python3 is still in development, it be more accesible for testing (release it with al debugging & logging you need) since a lot of users may find to difficult to get it work from scratch.
    The most interested people in your port may be Linux users then macOS, but a lot of users have Windows and thay may get you more feedback.

Anyway good work.

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Yeah, that’s a good idea, and I’ll create suitable packages for different OSes eventually.

CrazyThunderbird
    Participant

As i’m struggling with python (it’s my “first hands on” ever for me)

I did try to install it with pip but got an error…

Could you possible make a tutorial on how to install it for total dummies?

In my case im on windows (yeah i know… but i love to play games a lot 😀 )

F:\>pip install DisplayCAL
    Collecting DisplayCAL
    Using cached DisplayCAL-3.9.6.tar.gz (10.7 MB)
    Installing build dependencies … done
    Getting requirements to build wheel … error
    error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× Getting requirements to build wheel did not run successfully.
    │ exit code: 1
    ╰─> [20 lines of output]
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python310\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pep517\in_process\_in_process.py”, line 363, in <module>
    main()
    File “C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python310\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pep517\in_process\_in_process.py”, line 345, in main
    json_out[‘return_val’] = hook(**hook_input[‘kwargs’])
    File “C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.10_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python310\site-packages\pip\_vendor\pep517\in_process\_in_process.py”, line 130, in get_requires_for_build_wheel
    return hook(config_settings)
    File “C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-rjm1kdz_\overlay\Lib\site-packages\setuptools\build_meta.py”, line 177, in get_requires_for_build_wheel
    return self._get_build_requires(
    File “C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-rjm1kdz_\overlay\Lib\site-packages\setuptools\build_meta.py”, line 159, in _get_build_requires
    self.run_setup()
    File “C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-rjm1kdz_\overlay\Lib\site-packages\setuptools\build_meta.py”, line 174, in run_setup
    exec(compile(code, __file__, ‘exec’), locals())
    File “setup.py”, line 1587, in <module>
    setup()
    File “setup.py”, line 446, in setup
    from DisplayCAL.util_os import which
    File “C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-dfbu69bd\displaycal_d58bf7f57c2c46ab8e20fd999c206cca\DisplayCAL\util_os.py”, line 53, in <module>
    from win32file import *
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘win32file’
    [end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
    error: subprocess-exited-with-error

Erkan Ozgur Yilmaz
    Participant

Oh you are under Windows. Unfortunately, the development is pretty much concentrated on Linux and partially MacOS for now. And also in future, when we create proper install packages for all OSes, you would not need to tackle with Python at all.

For now, I suggest you to use the DisplayCAL 3.8.9.3 installer for Windows from this site.

Mark Walter
    Participant

Hello Erkan,

Thank you very much for all your efforts to keep this great project alive! I just wanted to point out that there is a bug in the macOS version, that doesn’t let you verify an ICC-profile  that hasn’t been installed with DisplayCal as the measurement button is greyed out. Apparently this option isn’t greyed out in the windows and Linux version. Please see this post and the following for this limitation. #36967

It would be great if you could unlock this feature in future versions of macOS. By the way, are there an updated *.dmg already for macOS?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS