Eizo CS2731 Hardware Calibration With I1 Display Pro?

Home Forums General Discussion Eizo CS2731 Hardware Calibration With I1 Display Pro?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

GrownUpBoy
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Is it possible to complete the hardware calibration on an Eizo CS2731 using my existing XRite I1 Display Pro? Or do I need to get the super expensive Eizo EX4 puck (that looks a lot like a  Datacolor Spyder X). Definitely want to use hardware calibration so that compatibility is important.

Just about to pull trigger on the 2731 and wondering if I can get by with my XRite or if I need to spring for the Eizo EX4?

Thanks!

K.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by GrownUpBoy.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Read this please: https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/displaycal-profil-loader-eizo-color-navigator/#post-31015 It may be difficult, so in summary: i1Display Pro/3 (i1d3) is working tool when you have .ti3 spectral data for your display type. I have one and you can download it from attachements below that post. Then you have to make personal matrix correction for your i1d3 in DisplayCAL. But don’t calibrate your display with DisplayCAL, use Eizo Color Navigator (CN). However the problem is i1d3 manufacturing quality and aging (light filters fading) issues. Consumer colorimeters are not precise, different instances may show different results. Moreover, colorimeters need correction for display RGB spectrum. CN contains this correction, of course, but for some generic i1d3. (May be,  their Spyders are tuned up perfectly, but they also degrade.) This means that you can use your i1d3 with CN and profile will be OK, except of possible error (small or big) in white point (WP). All colors are calculated for current WP.  So, when you have profile with some wrong WP, open DisplayCAL and run a test for colorimeter correction (the shortest test), check the WP coordinates and rebuild profile in CN for some new coordinates that you suppose to be correct. Do it again, use itterative approach. After you’ll get good WP (i.e. D65 or whatever you’ve decided to use), run extended or large verification test in DisplayCAL to check profile quality. Note, that CN uses proprietary i1d3 driver, but DisplayCAL uses Argyll free driver, you need to change device driver each time.

And this is not the end. I’ve found that all my three X-Rite spectrophotometers show quite different results. The .ti3 data are made with i1p2 that measures WP a bit more warm, close to blackbody temperature scale standard (daylight is used for displays instead). But even for reference-quality spectrophotometer the problem with WP perceptual look still exists. If you compare your display with another 6500K calibrated display of different sort or with 6500K high-CRI bulb, you will find visible tints difference. Workable solution is finding most stable near-white WP by your eyes in your workspace lighting/walls that is close to some standard. For printing more warm screen is actual (press uses D50), by example, yesterday I’ve calibrated display to +/- D60 (popular in cinema) in a room lighted with 4200K LED bulbs. Also decide what standard emulation is actual for your work. For Eizo it is usual to make calibrations for sRGB, AdobeRGB, Rec.709 and native gamut. Standards emulation allows you to use non-CM software, like 3DS Max, or poorly managed, like Adobe Premier Pro.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

The thing I’d forgotten: use relatively small white square field for visual WP estimation. We see large fields in different colors. There’re “2 and 10 degrees observers”. For detailed images 2 degree is used, but for car color 10 degree is correct.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Sorry, driver change is needed for i1Pro, i1d3 seems to work with CN and DisplayCAL with no driver change.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Sorry again, I’ve forgotten our last dispute here on CS2731. That time CN had a need in actual spectral correction for CS2731, EDR file (it used simplified correction). This was made by forum user Mindas: https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/confusion-calibrating-cs2731/page/2/#post-31006 You should write him to get this file.

Or, rent i1Pro 2 somewhere.

Vincent
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Is it possible to complete the hardware calibration on an Eizo CS2731 using my existing XRite I1 Display Pro? Or do I need to get the super expensive Eizo EX4 puck (that looks a lot like a  Datacolor Spyder X). Definitely want to use hardware calibration so that compatibility is important.

Just about to pull trigger on the 2731 and wondering if I can get by with my XRite or if I need to spring for the Eizo EX4?

Thanks!

K.

Spyders are a no go, no matter who sells them.

Read Alexei’s latest message above mine and read Midas’ thread about how to proceed with an i1Displaypro, as a summary:
    -full EDR remplacement (best)
    or
    -post calibration a*b* fix in whitepoint using Color Navigator visual whitepoint tool, assisted with DisplayCAL measurements wth the proper CCSS (maybe easier tha 1st one)

There is a guy on LGG forum that had created a custom EDR ready to replace RG_phosphor in CN7 instalation folder, maybe you should contact him.

gerti
    Participant

Hello everyone,

i have now researched a bit about calibrating my CS2731 with my new xrite i1 Display Pro. I somehow lost track of the correct way and about handling these edr files…

Would it be possible to somehow summarize an easy and intuitive way to do the calibration process? Im not an IT pro and would love to have a for me do-able process to calibrate my monitor. If this means, I will not reach a perfect result, i think this would be fine.

Normally i would just have done it the simple way, just plug the i1 in and do it with CN7. But I have checked the several threads about this process now and now i imagine i need to take a step further for reasonable results, this is also were it gets a bit complex for me. Thank you really much if someone could take his/her time for helping me out. Have a great day!

All thes best, gerti

Vincent
    Participant

gerti
    Participant

Hello Vincent,

thank you for your quick answer!

The modified file needs to be renamed to the original file name and then replaces the original one, right? Do I need to keep the original file for any reason?

Is the ccss file needed?

thanks and best regards

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Full replacement of old file. You can keep a backup but it’s standard GB-LED correction in all i1Profiler instalations if you need it latter. Disk space is free, i’ll save it.
    You’ll need old EDR it you use a CS2730 (GBLED?) or CS240 (GBLED).

gerti
    Participant

Full replacement of old file means renaming? Thank you!

gerti
    Participant

And is the CCSS necessary in my case?

Vincent
    Participant

CN expects the same file names… so what do you think you have to do?
    You are forging a EDR to be the same size &name as another but with different spectral data. and Xrite SDK only knows of EDR (binary) not CCSS (same but text)

gerti
    Participant

Makes sense, thanks. For which case is the CCSS then needed?

gerti
    Participant

Did first calbration and validation. The white balance seems a bit warmer than before, otherwise i hope/guess i got some kind of result.

Validation values: Max 1,63 – Average 0,26 – White point 0,13 (CIE2000)

I also noticed a issue with the hardware control buttons, they are locked now. Also can’t turn the montior off. Is this a knwon issue?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS