DisplayCAL Profil Loader & Eizo Color Navigator

Home Forums General Discussion DisplayCAL Profil Loader & Eizo Color Navigator

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Timo K
    Participant

Dear All,

im new and not super experienced with display calibration, just a bit.

Im using several displays for working on photographs. Sometimes a quato monitor (IP 242 LE), sometimes only the notebooks display and sometimes an Eizo CG2730.

One question: does DisplayCAL Profil Loader and Eizos Color Navigator work together when the notebook is on the Eizo Monitor? Or do the work against eachother somehow?

How to handle it with my several displays?

Thanks a lot for helping here!

Greetings!

Timo

Vincent
    Participant

Eizo agent will try to load into GPUT LUTs the VCGT data from ICC profiles (HW cal profiles will have linear data = no GPU calibration). They may conflict.

Since users do not  use ColroNavigator so often, it’s easier to disable CN agent auto startup & user DisplayCAL loader. When you need to recalibrate or change CG HW calibration from another one stored in your computer, close DisplayCAL tray app, open CN, do what you need, after that unload CN agent and reload DisplayCAL loader.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

I’ve recently calibrated Eizo CS2731, the first Eizo that I’ve met since I’ve become friendly with ICM. I used Color Navigator only, though DisplayCAL was installed on computer. There’s no conflict between profile switching with Eizo display menu and DisplayCAL Profile Loader. Moreover, Profile Loader is useful to control current ICC profile, that Eizo device sets (using USB connection) as Windows display default. But, there’re two troubles:

1. Switching Eizo display profiles (for different calibrations) in display menu is buggy: sometimes it doesn’t change Windows display profile. But if you navigate through calibrations menu backward, this restores. This doesn’t look like conflict with Profile Loader, but Eizo software/firmware bug only.
    2. Eizo display showed some wrong whitepoint after calibration. Its incomfortability was sensed by eyes too. I think the best way here is to use a bit shifted xy coordinates instead of color temperature. I used this approach today, but for wrong color cast got by DisplayCAL at laptop. I find that using DisplayCAL over Color Navigator (to get better profile) may produce problems, at least if you use quick profile switch in Eizo menu. Another way to get better white point is using User mode in Eizo. You can calibrate it too, but brightness and RGB bars are unlocked here, so you may do slight correction of white point. This won’t make significant influence on overall tolerance.

Vincent
    Participant

1. Eizo display showed some wrong whitepoint after calibration. Its incomfortability was sensed by eyes too. I think the best way here is to use a bit shifted xy coordinates instead of color temperature. I used this approach today, but for wrong color cast got by DisplayCAL at laptop. I find that using DisplayCAL over Color Navigator (to get better profile) may produce problems, at least if you use quick profile switch in Eizo menu. Another way to get better white point is using User mode in Eizo. You can calibrate it too, but brightness and RGB bars are unlocked here, so you may do slight correction of white point. This won’t make significant influence on overall tolerance.

If you are not using latest CN, update. If using 7.1.2 Change colorimeter to no correction or compensation, I do not rememmber (preferences/general) then retry. Since is a GB-LED try to compare in DisplayCAL with the same EDR/CCSS (RG phosphor, a “dirtier” GB-LED U2413 with other displays).

If this does not work then you have to use visual witepoint in CN (but this goes to HW not to GPU like in DisplayCAL)

Timo K
    Participant

Thank you all for the helpful answers! Best, Timo

Vincent
    Participant

@Алексей Коробов,
    Did changing colorimeter settings to “no compensation” solveyour issues with CN & CS GB-LEDs?
    Did you check by P3 coverage is they are using GB-LED type in newer CS or moved to WLED PFS?

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

I haven’t tried anything yet, the display is now 100km away of my house, this is my friend (a girl) who bought it. But probably I’ll pass her  i1d3 for a week, so we’ll check it. This display doesn’t have full P3 coverage, it has around 95%. It is quite better than BenQ PV270 in yellow, but quite worse in cyan (press colors, – I has Epson 9900 with CMYK+OGV 3rd party inks filled in, still fixing it and profiling it with RIP). Prad.de has tested it and it looks like truth with my friend’s instance. Unpleasant thing was a little “crumpled rag” view of white area.

I think now that my i1d3 is not perfectly tuned for normative RGB values, – likely to be tired. So I’ve made several attempts with matrix correction between i1p2 and 1id3, and this works better. I also prefer to set WP xy to 0.3123 0.3180, that make the procedure more stable to pink cast and makes a bit yellowish one. I note also that my second-hand i1p2 seems to have a bit degraded white tile (though it looks well , i1p2 was sold to me by local serviceman, I know him as  a diligent man). I also think that Argyll could use some dirrerent values or measurement calculations than i1Profiler or Color Navigator. Not a serious difference, of course.

Vincent
    Participant

I also think that Argyll could use some dirrerent values or measurement calculations than i1Profiler or Color Navigator. Not a serious difference, of course.

It takes the same readings if you choose in Argyll the same correction as the other apps. With i1Profiler it’s easy: use the same names. All EDR corrections in i1Profiler are translated to CCSS in i1d3 bundle for displaycal (actually Displaycal has more): https://displaycal.net/i1d3

AFAIK, for CN if you use “No compensation” on CS line it will take only RG_phosphor EDR, so readings in Argyll with i1Profiler’s RG_phosphor (U2413) CCSS should be the same.
    With other than no compensation setting I’m afraid they are using a matrix correction from a CS sample in factory but since no i1d3 is exactly equal that matrix is not valid for all. I say that I’m afraid of that because Spectraview II for WLED PFS AdobeRGB + P3 models (PA271Q + PA311D) uses that approach, a chain of corrections, 1st GB-LED (PA242W EDR, which contains no colorimeter data, it’s an EDR) and chained to it, it applies a matrix (“one sample unit” colorimeter specific) hence all the issues with i1d3 and those models (mva.pl polish forum, LuLa… etc)
    It’s absurd this approach of matrices instead of bundle HP Z24x WLED PFS AdobeRGB+P3 EDR… but maybe there are some royalties or IP involved.

Also I’m afraid that since CN stores no EDR for WLED PFS AdobeRGB + P3 models (it will be PFS_Phosphor_Family_31Jan17 -dirty- or HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel EDR, the good one), just RG_phosphor it will have the same issues on CG models… BUT with “no compensation” you can detach factory colorimeter matrix correction and use EDR correction in ColorNavigator (NEC can’t) so in theory if you replace spectral samples in RG phosphor file with HP z24x EDR spectral data (repeated several times, or even just replacing files)… voilà! 😀 CN + “no  compensation”  + “forged EDR” = accurate CN readings on newer Eizo CGs and an i1d3.

That could be apply for Benq SW owners too since they lack of proper correction for all models …BUT RGBLED EDR spectral samples have different nm sizes (HP Z24 and GB-LED have the same nm range in samples). It may need some hex editor work if “file replacement & renaming” does not work (if you have to edit manually data in RGBLED EDR to “forge” it)
    Since there are no Xrite corrections for QLEDs like SW2700PT, this tool can be helpful:
    https://github.com/ypomortsev/ccss2edr (it’s not mine)
    Although if file replacement is not valid you may need to interpolate QLED CCSS to 1nm first (and even scale data to RGBLED nm range), convert 1nm CCSS to EDR, open it, copy spectral data and replace in RGBLED EDR, then run Palette Master Elements & calibrate. Grey innacuracies will be there but white readings should be on spot on every i1d3 (calibration may be off due to oversimplifications in PME programming).

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Vincent.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS