Calibration and Lut settings

Home Forums Help and Support Calibration and Lut settings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

G G
    Participant

Hey all sorry these are probably noob questions, I would like to verify if I’m doing things correctly.

I’m trying to calibrate a huion kamvas pro 24 4k, with a calibrite display pro hl in windows. my general use is mainly photoshop and 3d modelling/rendering. main issue is that what I see in blender is way off the calibration elsewhere so my plan is to use Dwmlut to apply a 3dlut system wide.

my settings are as follows: “i1 Displaypro colormunky display,” lcd generic, no white or black level drift compensation, correction is Spectral LCD while LED family.

in calibration:
    whitepoint: as measured, white level:custom 120 cd/m2,tone curve: gamma2.2
    in 3dLut: colorspace: Rec709, Tone Gamma 2.2, rendering intent: absolute colorimetric with white point scaling. iridas full ranges, 65x65x65

then once its finished I verify “current” settings with no simulation and I get all ok,
    so now I try again with the 3d lut.
    I reset the color profile to srgb in windows, and load the lut in Dwmlut. I again verify current settings with no simulation and I get a mainly ok result. slightly higher deltas in general but the only not ok is on a blue swatch for some reason. when I look at some images in general is a bit darker compared to the icc so I’m suspecting something changes with the gamma.

I also tried with linear-win.icc+lut, the gamma/brightness feels the same as the icc profile but the verification shows a lot more errors in the colors.

so if I’m doing things generally correct? I’m tempted to just go with srgb+lut. is there a way to fix the gamma so it matches the icc profile and that blue error issue? is there anything else I should do differently?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ben
    Participant

Could be your levels are off.   Your gpu is set in limited or full?   Tablet is hdmi so is limited.    Set screen to limited too.     Hdmi is not rgb input.    YcBcR should be 444 or 4222.    I can not tell if its hdmi 2.1 or 2.1 compatible.    4k is 8 bit 60hz on 2.0 hdmi.    Patch 02 shows 1.8 L.   Show values as xyY will show the black level.   1.8L means its almost double barely visible.   Mine is L .86 for black and that is .09 lumans.   Is your contast 1200 ?   Try limited range 3d lut.   I think that could be it.

G G
    Participant

thanks for the pointers Ben! you’re right that the connection is hdmi. graphics card settings are Full range, 8 bit output color depth (only one available) RGB format, 32bit color depth, 60hz .
    limited was on by default previously and I was really struggling  as everything looked washed out and horrible, feels way better in full.
    I’m attaching the full reports for the ICC profile alone and the LUT+srgb

Attachments:

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Your tablet has a QLED screen, so you should use the LCD Quantum Dot LED (Samsung QLED 9) spectral correction.

It the correction is unavailable, update Argyll CMS to the latest version:

1) Download Argyll 3.2: https://www.argyllcms.com/Argyll_V3.2.0_win64_exe.zip

2) Extract the archive.

3) Go to File > Locate Argyll CMS exectutables…

4) Navigate to <download location>\Argyll_V3.2.0_win64_exe\Argyll_V3.2.0\bin and click “Select Folder”.

G G
    Participant

Thanks Kuba, I tried it earlier on and it seemed to have made no difference, but I’ll give it another try.

Vincent
    Participant

Hey all sorry these are probably noob questions, I would like to verify if I’m doing things correctly.

I’m trying to calibrate a huion kamvas pro 24 4k, with a calibrite display pro hl in windows. my general use is mainly photoshop and 3d modelling/rendering. main issue is that what I see in blender is way off the calibration elsewhere so my plan is to use Dwmlut to apply a 3dlut system wide.

my settings are as follows: “i1 Displaypro colormunky display,” lcd generic, no white or black level drift compensation, correction is Spectral LCD while LED family.

in calibration:
    whitepoint: as measured, white level:custom 120 cd/m2,tone curve: gamma2.2
    in 3dLut: colorspace: Rec709, Tone Gamma 2.2, rendering intent: absolute colorimetric with white point scaling. iridas full ranges, 65x65x65

then once its finished I verify “current” settings with no simulation and I get all ok,
    so now I try again with the 3d lut.
    I reset the color profile to srgb in windows, and load the lut in Dwmlut. I again verify current settings with no simulation and I get a mainly ok result. slightly higher deltas in general but the only not ok is on a blue swatch for some reason.

***when I look at some images in general is a bit darker compared to the icc so I’m suspecting something changes with the gamma.***

You are simulating “sRGB/Rec709” with 2.2 gamma while applying as display profile “sRGB”, with sRGB TRC (“gamma”) which is not 2.2.
    Hence color management is not working properly because display behavior (monitor + DWMLUT) does not match display profile.

I also tried with linear-win.icc+lut, the gamma/brightness feels the same as the icc profile but the verification shows a lot more errors in the colors.

so if I’m doing things generally correct? I’m tempted to just go with srgb+lut. is there a way to fix the gamma so it matches the icc profile and that blue error issue? is there anything else I should do differently?

Create a synth profile Rec 709 with gamma 2.2 and use it as display profile, or simulate sRGB in LUT3D and keep sRGB profile. IDNK what you want to do and what kind of non color managed apps you want to use (those ones will fix LUT3D choice)

Regarding blue error, check if that color is in gamut, by vericiation or by 3D volume plot with DIsplay cal profile info.exe.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Vincent.

Ben
    Participant

Im still baffled with his contrast of 475 ish.   The black is way high.   I might not have been clear to change the display in its menu to limited range input mode and the graphics card to limited.    RGB limited is different than YcBcR limited.   The whole chain should be the same.   In limited YcBcR  you still get 0 to 255 shades in windows.   You tell windows color 0,0,0 or 1,1,1 and it gives 0,0,0 or 1.05 output for the limited range.  It converts the 255,255,255 to 235,235,235.  Limited is better to me for less contrast.   There is no difference visually.

Finally saw your white level is set to 120.   It could be set to as measured for the most contrast.   Lowering the white level in hardware lowers the black level level.   120 is a fine white level.

Mostly set it the way you want it to look before calibration.   Less adjustments it makes the better.

G G
    Participant

@ben I think I see what you mean, but the display’s menu is very simple, basic controls of RGB balance, brightness/contrast/backlight and input port and hdr mode. it doesn’t have the option to switch to a different range.
    the tablet is supposed to have a contrast ratio of 1200, Also I have the option of connecting via usb type C instead if its any better?

Create a synth profile Rec 709 with gamma 2.2 and use it as display profile, or simulate sRGB in LUT3D and keep sRGB profile. IDNK what you want to do and what kind of non color managed apps you want to use (those ones will fix LUT3D choice)

Regarding blue error, check if that color is in gamut, by vericiation or by 3D volume plot with DIsplay cal profile info.exe.

thanks a lot for the info and for taking the time to answer.
    the non managed app is blender which completely ignores any calibration. mainly I would like to see what I’m working on so that when I copy/paste a render in photoshop for example it matches.
    simulating sRGB in LUT3D seems easier, I’m not sure how to do it..
    for the blue error, I don’t quite know what to look for in the verification, if you’re referring to the last chart it does seems way off? I’ve attached the verifications reports in my previous post.

thanks again & please forgive my ignorance 🙏🏻

Vincent
    Participant

Im still baffled with his contrast of 475 ish.   The black is way high.   I might not have been clear to change the display in its menu to limited range input mode and the graphics card to limited.    RGB limited is different than YcBcR limited.   The whole chain should be the same.   In limited YcBcR  you still get 0 to 255 shades in windows.   You tell windows color 0,0,0 or 1,1,1 and it gives 0,0,0 or 1.05 output for the limited range.  It converts the 255,255,255 to 235,235,235.  Limited is better to me for less contrast.   There is no difference visually.

I missed that. +1

Vincent
    Participant

thanks a lot for the info and for taking the time to answer.
    the non managed app is blender which completely ignores any calibration. mainly I would like to see what I’m working on so that when I copy/paste a render in photoshop for example it matches.
    simulating sRGB in LUT3D seems easier, I’m not sure how to do it..

source profile = sRGB and keep its TRC

for the blue error, I don’t quite know what to look for in the verification, if you’re referring to the last chart it does seems way off? I’ve attached the verifications reports in my previous post.

thanks again & please forgive my ignorance 🙏🏻

Just check if sRGB blue is out of gamut (OoG) of your display. Using Display cal profile info on your custom ICC profile will show a windows with a 2D gamut plot & other info.
    Change viewe to CIE a*b* so plot distances are closer to human vision distances than CIE xy. Choose sRGB as reference profile to compara against. Then generate a 3D view of that gamut (upper options). You can see visually rathern than numerically (report coordinates) if sRGB blue falls outside your display capabilities.
    OoG issues are not correctable but using a LUT3D all in gamut colors can be simulated properly.

For example let’s say that I buy a 94% P3 multimedia gaming display. Let’s say I want to simulate an Apple P3 display with a LUT3D so all muy work (excluding the higher dpi) will be close or the same as an Apple imac display => I’ll use a LUT3D, but near green 255 in DisplayP3 colorspace I’ll be out of gamut so rendered color will be slightly different than DisplayP3 green 255

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Thanks Kuba, I tried it earlier on and it seemed to have made no difference, but I’ll give it another try.

1) Try the  medium and low calibration speeds.

2) Increase the number of profiling patches to 778 (“Large testchart for LUT Profiles”).

3) Use a more accurate profile type (XYZ LUT + Matrix).  In the profile settings, you may try increasing the cLUT size from the default 33x33x33 to 65x65x65.

Ben
    Participant

I had a tv that auto sensed the input. Try not using rgb output in graphics and the screen will know its limited range.   I see it is simple menu.   .    It must autosense.   Try to compare rgb to ycbcr .    YcBcR is standard. https://youtu.be/bVSCkLOo4Wc?feature=shared

G G
    Participant

ok let’s take a step back and try to get the calibration right first, I’m getting a bit confused with this limited vs full range.
    I switched to usbC instead of hdmi connection as I understand this should work in full range by default and keep the whole chain in full range?
    I kept “use default color settings in nvdia control panel”.

then I made another calibration+profile.
    whitepoint to 6500 tone curve to gamma 2.2 and I kept white level “as measured” this time and was able to up the contrast a bit to 663:1. the tablet should be about double that, I’m not sure why its reading this low? anyway seems a little better than previous. should I try forcing limited in the graphics card or not? if so what are the settings that should be used with usbc connection?

then onto the LUT issue
    in 3d lut maker I set source sRGB, tone curve unmodified, set the destination profile and leave rest as default. (attaching screenshot of settings)
    I see about the same as previous in the validation, the same error with the blue. checking the gamut seems to confirm Vincent suggestion that the blues are out of gamut? I’m attaching screenshot & profile.

Attachments:

G G
    Participant

I had a tv that auto sensed the input. Try not using rgb output in graphics and the screen will know its limited range.   I see it is simple menu.   .    It must autosense.   Try to compare rgb to ycbcr .    YcBcR is standard. https://youtu.be/bVSCkLOo4Wc?feature=shared

sorry we posted at the same time, thanks I’ll give that a try.

G G
    Participant

ok so I tried YcBcR444 and looks identical by eye. I reverified and comparing with the previous using the full RGB, seems identical, only the gamma chart goes a little down, Im not sure how to read that chart?
    it doesn’t let me set YcBcR422, it switches back immediately after accepting the change.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by G G.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by G G.
    Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS