Eizo CS2731 Hardware Calibration With I1 Display Pro?

Home Forums General Discussion Eizo CS2731 Hardware Calibration With I1 Display Pro?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

gerti
    Participant

My mistake, needed to close CN…

Vincent
    Participant

CCSS is for validating results in DisplayCAL

gerti
    Participant

Hello, ok i please have a general question:

The difference between AdobeRGB/sRGB and the CAL1 calibrated slot is insane, and the obvious differences i notice are

• whitepoint (or illuminant) d65 vs 4988K
    • color space AdobeRGB vs native

I’m really sorry if I’m coming up with basic stuff, but this is new to me and I dont really have a clue which way would make sense for me to look into this “issue”.

I thought that calibrating a slot would mean to get close to “visual reality” and now i have three of them (AdobeRGB, sRGB and CAL1) and none of them looks only close like the other one -> AdobeRGB vs sRGB i know the Adobe color space is way bigger than of sRGB, therefore looks “more saturated” on screen, but doesnt helps me a bit with choosing one profile for image editing.

Thank you whoever will give me a simple answer to this or like just gives me a direction to where i would find some basic answers. Thanks Internet. Have a nice day! nd thanks Vincent for your help!

gerti
    Participant

And furthermore CN7 tells me is has a communication error (monitor) on several occasions, and wants me to restart the software. After restart, it seems to work. Has this something to do with the exchange of the edr file?

Vincent
    Participant

I thought that calibrating a slot would mean to get close to “visual reality”

No, it to make a display behave like some target.

Use native gamma 2.2 D65 for general image editing, same with D50 (or another custom whitepoint of your choose) for softproof. Then after calibration /by measuring or by simplification) CN will create an ICC with that display behavior description. That description is what Photoshop uses to render an sRGB image properly in native gamut colorspace.

Use sRGB/Rec709 primaries, D65 with gamma 2.2 for general purpose non color managed apps, like CAD/CAM or games.

There are more combinations… but most people will cover their needs with those 2-3 slots.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

gerti
    Participant

Okay, thanks for the explanation, i get it now!

I made the different profiles yesterday and compared it to some printed pictures i already have at home. I can change color temperature at my desk lamp and set it also once to 5k and once to 6,5k.

Still the colors differ quite noticeable between monitor and print.

• blue on monitor is more aqua on print
    • yellow on monitor is slightly more orange on print
    • red on monitor is more vibrant/saturated on print
    • in general the colors on monitor seem less saturated than on print

I printed with blurb on glossy and on matte paper, in both cases the hues are noticeably different from screen to print, also the saturation with different colors. (blurb offers only ICC for all papers, which is strange too)

I’m sure to mistake is somewhere on my side or in my process, but i dont know where…

GrownUpBoy
    Participant

Vincent
    Participant

I made the different profiles yesterday and compared it to some printed pictures i already have at home. I can change color temperature at my desk lamp and set it also once to 5k and once to 6,5k.

It does not work that way.
    You lack of proper light for print comparison. Color temperature for a light bulb means nothing because it does not go to your eyes directly (so you can get same color coords with several different  SPD) but reflected on a surface whose reflection is a function of incomming SPD & its own material. Light bullb SPD is the key here…. that’s why normalized light booths are sold (or constructed by yourself).
    Also comparisons should be done with softproof active on display (simulate white paper or not depending on light source capabilities, paper profiling process…).

gerti
    Participant

Ok yeah makes sense, but the lamp is CRI >90.

And still with Softproof settings and viewed in daylight, the above named color differences are noticeable, especiall blue vs aqua.

Maybe with my new knowledge and the finally calibrated monitor, i try some new photo edits and let them print and compare them afterwards. Currently I’m just comparing old stuff.

Thanks four your explanations and help Vincent!

Vincent
    Participant

Ok yeah makes sense, but the lamp is CRI >90.

It means nothing unless SPD is measured & tested.

And still with Softproof settings and viewed in daylight, the above named color differences are noticeable, especiall blue vs aqua.

That points to printer profile, not monitor.

gerti
    Participant

Okay.

I did soft proofing with the ICC file of the printing company (blurb).

But as mentioned I will try with new stuff and then have a look about the result. Thanks for your help Vincent, have a nice day!

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS