DisplayCal does not recognize my monitor

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal does not recognize my monitor

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Dido
    Participant

Hi Vincent
    in file log of my last calibration test.

dispcal: Warning – CFDictionaryGetValue(kDisplayProductName) returned NULL!

dispread: Warning – new_dispwin: Frame buffer depth 8 doesn’t match VideoLUT 10

is that a problem? ..

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Dido.

Vincent
    Participant

ArgyllCMS problems & malfunctions to ARgyllCMS mail list

Dido
    Participant

I spent many hours trying to properly profile my monitor with, spyder 3, my M1 minimac and my dell U2715H. I tried all possible settings and always got mediocre results. I got bored ! Today I retire X-Rite 1 studio … so I can also profile my EPSON printer.
    I hope this investment (about 480eu) gives good results.
    But I wonder why I should use displaycal and not the proprietary  X-Rite program?

Vincent
    Participant

I spent many hours trying to properly profile my monitor with, spyder 3, my M1 minimac and my dell U2715H. I tried all possible settings and always got mediocre results. I got bored ! Today I retire X-Rite 1 studio … so I can also profile my EPSON printer.
    I hope this investment (about 480eu) gives good results.
    But I wonder why I should use displaycal and not the proprietary  X-Rite program?

Wrong choice. Get an i1d3 too (i1displaypro or i1display studio) if you wish to profile printer. Otherwise only a i1d3 colorimeter.
    Also that spectro has not UV so if you wish to softproof with white paper color simulation and paper your has OBA… you know (i1Pro).

It’s a false statement that you buy one of those spectros (or I1pro2/i1Pro3) and you get a device “to rule all” task. Sooner or later you’ll face a WLED PFS or will have to deal with high contrast displays and see their limitations. Even with an sRGB WLED.

Regarding which app, ArgyllCMS software alows you to use high res 3nm mode instead of 10nm. At 10nm you won’t measure properly WLED PFS like mac P3 displays and even with your sRGB WLED you may see a drift in b* axis (which may not be noticieable because it is placed in b* axis & more or less tangent to daylight locus)

Summary:
    Get an i1d3 (the pro if you wish to use monitors with HW calibration in near future).
    If you additionaly wish to profile your printer get a graphics art spectrophotometer too. i1Studio/ColorMunkiPhoto has no UV in its lamp, it cannot capture OBA effects.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display SL on Amazon   Calibrite ColorChecker Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

I’ve writen my first paragraph in a wrong way & cannot edit. Better this way:
    Wrong choice. Get an i1d3 (i1displaypro or i1display studio). If you wish to profile printer the get an specrophotometer too, in addition to i1d3 colorimeter, not as a replacement for display measurement because they are not

Dido
    Participant

Your advice is always useful … Thanks
    ….. see you soon and have a good weekend…….

Dido
    Participant

Hi Vincent … by chance I heard on the phone with a mico, who is also passionate about photography, I told him about my monitor calibration problems, and that I was going to buy a new sensor because my spyder 3 doesn’t work anymore with the new systems, the new monitors etc etc etc ….. he kindly offered to lend me his “Eye one pro” with here I got a good result ,,, what I am attaching.
    With the I-ONE displaycal he showed me things that didn’t appear before with the spyder 3 … I noticed these color offsets towards the darker tones that I can’t correct.
    I have not found any command in the system that allows me to correct these defects ….
    So to everyone I say (from my experience) Throw away old sensors like spyder 3 … don’t waste your time.
    As I ask everyone:
    Has anyone found a way to adjust color offsets in BigSur 11 on apple minimac with M1 processor?

Thanks and happy Sunday

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

That i1Pro is broken or there is a HDMI range mismatch . I’ll point to 2nd one. That contras ratio is abnormal for a typical IPS unless you mess with OSD controls.

Dido
    Participant

Eye One works perfectly.
    In fact, during the initial interactive calibration the message appears that tells me just that … “the range is limited change the settings of the video card ….” and so on, more or less I don’t remember exactly ….
    I have to find the right cable that allows me to use the thunderbolt port to enter the monitor in displayport but it’s not that easy. I have seen many on the internet …. but none are Apple certified …. I continue the search ….
    sorry if the English is not perfect but for speed I use google translate 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

Contact Apple. It is their M1 GPU and their certified adapter the ones unable to send 0-255 range. It’s their fault.
    Or try in some Apple HW forum searching troubles in macOS when enabling full range HDMi signal.

This is not a calibration issue but an issue with Apple HW and their OS. Once fixed you can go back here.

Dido
    Participant

Hi Vincent hi everyone
    Finally my problem is solved.
    I bought a mophie USB-C> DisplayPort cable and everything works! So to everyone I say, DO NOT USE HDMI !!!!!
    I did a first quick calibration last night, I didn’t have much time (I’m risking a divorce :-)) but I saw that the contrast has risen to 600: 1 even if I still have some outliers that I don’t know how to correct. In particular, always “Maximum ΔICtCp” with values out of tolerance. I think I am doing something wrong with the DisplayCal setting.
    If you can help me in this I would be grateful … In the meantime, thanks for the help!

Vincent
    Participant

In particular, always “Maximum ΔICtCp” with values out of tolerance. I think I am doing something wrong with the DisplayCal setting.

Don’t care about that, very likely to be in dark patches regarding some black idealization.

Dido
    Participant

OK

Anonymous
    Inactive

Angry has released a new stable version that works great with the m1.

You need to download it from there site, for some reason displaycal can’t update it / see it by it self

Dido
    Participant

What am I doing wrong ?
    Always this abnormal Maximum ΔICtCp!
    Does it seem okay for the rest? Or not ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS