DisplayCal does not recognize my monitor

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal does not recognize my monitor

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

-that CCMX is not for you unless you made it (it seems that you made it… so OK, share CCSS 3nm to community if you can, this will help others)

-take a look on the color where it is happening (#002) and reference values (because you are using an OS with a broken color management engine)
    Hint: profile with BPC ON=infinite contrast… which is not true. Nothing to be worried about, that missmatch is what max ΔICtCp is showing.

-Contrast is abnormally low, HDMI limited range issues again?

Dido
    Participant

I am no longer using HDMI, the mac is connected U-SBC> Displayport and the color management system is that of the minimac … it cannot be altered or modified …. there are native profiles of the system, srgb, D65, D50 Adobe RGB …. I don’t know … not I understand . I also bought the X RITE STUDIO sensor which I was hoping would help me 🙁

Vincent
    Participant

Read again what I wrote:

-profile with BPC ON=infinite contrast… which is not true. Nothing to be worried about, that missmatch is what max ΔICtCp is showing.

-Contrast is abnormally low, HDMI limited range issues again?

Profile, ***BY USER CHOICE*** (because OS limitations) stores that display has infinite contrast (BPC on). RGB 0 in => 0cd/m2 out. That is not true, that is what that high error is saying, what profile says and actual behavior do not match. Nothing to be worried about.

Also, 400:1 for an IPS is an abnormal value because AFAIK such sRGB office/multimedia/general use IPS sRGB model has not uniformity compensation. If it had such feature, disable it if it does not worse color uniformity so it becomes unusable.
    This has nothing to do with measurement device. It is related to you mac computer, monitor and connection.

Plug it to another computer & measure contrast to discard issues on display… chances are high on mac GPU + connection to be blamed for this, not monitor.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

Dido
    Participant

Sigh 🙁

basdenhond
    Participant

unsubscribing (sorry, the official way does not work)

Dido
    Participant

Good morning everyone, good morning Vincent, here I am again. I have read and studied a bit and I think I finally got a good calibration even with my M1 minimac.
    Maybe I’m still a bit high in contrast, I read that the dell U2715H gives maximum linearity with a contrast of about 900: 1.
    I always have that ΔICtCp value that I can’t control … but still I think it’s a good calibration. One more question if I can …. but that deviation I have on dark colors can be determined by the thousands of hours of work of the monitor? (bought in 2015 I think I don’t remember exactly)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

I always have that ΔICtCp value that I can’t control … but still I think it’s a good calibration. One more question if I can …. but that deviation I have on dark colors can be determined by the thousands of hours of work of the monitor? (bought in 2015 I think I don’t remember exactly)

No, already explained many times. That error is because your choice of profile… and you are forced to use that type because the limitations of your OS.

It’s not related to calibration, it’s your profile saying that display has infinite contrast.

Dido
    Participant

Sorry Vincent, it wasn’t displaycal criticism. By now I am aware of the os problem and nothing can be done about it, at least until apple releases a new system that integrates those parameters and that can be adjustable, or that makes external GPUs visible … let’s hope !!

Vincent
    Participant

I’m saying that there is no issue with your cal since contrast seems ok and grey looks ok too.

That kind of ΔICtCp will happen to all users that willingly choose to use BPC… including Win users, most of us, at least for Ps, Lr, web and general use.
    It won’t matter what tool you use to create profile. If you choose to use BPC (because of the benefits) there wil be a mismatch between measured black and profile black. That’s all.

Dido
    Participant

Thanks Vincent ….
    Then I’ll try without 🙂 Meanwhile I learned how to use the program, then we discovered that HDMI is not good for developing photographs and that it is a TV standard … Then we learned that the USB-C port of the minimac perfectly supports Displayport , with the right cable …. in short, we have made progress and I thank you for this !!!! You also sold a Display studio !!!! 🙂

divinebaboon
    Participant

Angry has released a new stable version that works great with the m1.

You need to download it from there site, for some reason displaycal can’t update it / see it by it self

Thank you for that. Took some time to figure out how to get displaycal to locate the file, wrote some step by steps in case anyone wants to know how to do this:

1. Download Displaycal from https://displaycal.net/ and install
    2. Open up the display cal app, and plug in your color meter, in my case Spyder4
    3. It will prompt me to download the latest Argyll (which is a lie. It’s downloading v2.1.2), click ok and let it
    4. Go to https://www.argyllcms.com/downloadmac.html and click on “Intel OS X 10.6 64 bit or later” , it will download a tgz zip file, unzip it and make note of its location, we will need to move it later.
    5. Go back to the DisplayCal app. Click on “File” up top, click “Locate ArgyllCMS Executables”, it should open a bin folder with a bunch of files in it. Navigate to the Library>Download folder where your unzipped ArgyllCMS folder is located (from step 4), and select the “bin” folder
    6. Displaycal will automatically try to run a bunch of files in that bin folder, and the MacOS will try to stop you because the files came from an unidentified developer. So everytime the “warning: Can’t open up file because the developer is unknown” popup shows up, you need to go to that bin folder and do a CTRL+ Right click to force run the file. Then cancel the popup windows. Repeat this a few times until all the files DisplayCal need is not showing the “unknown dev” popup anymore.
    7. Reboot Displaycal and you should see your monitor being recognized, yay. Crappy phone shot for proof:

This workaround is applicable until Displaycal auto downloads Argyll 2.2.0, which should be soon I hope?

PS: If you want to put the Argyll folder in its intended place, it is located at User->yourusername->Library->Application Support -> Displaycal-> dl

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS