DisplayCal does not recognize my monitor

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCal does not recognize my monitor

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Dido
    Participant

new test with gamma

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

kofman13
    Participant

https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/i/i1profiler-i1publish_v3_4_0

does installing this install the Argyll beta so we can use DisplayCAL on M1?

Dido
    Participant

Yes sure
    first install the beta version 2.1.2 Argyll . Then download disptools_V2.1.3beta_osx64. This file contains exes to manually put in Argyll bin folde

Dido
    Participant

?does the displaycal manual exist?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Dido.

Dido
    Participant

good morning guys I understand that there is no manual for displacal. I spent all this weekend looking for the right way to do a good calibration of my monitor. The one closest to an optimal result is the one I put here. I understand that my spyder3 is not the most precise instrument on the market, but I have noticed that there are huge differences according to the settings in displaycal that are infinite … Now can anyone tell me how I should set displaycal correctly to get a good result? I have a minimac with bigsur,  Dell U2715H monitor connected via HDMI and a spydr3. Thank you all

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Resulting gray balance is very bad, but Spyder3 may be the culprit.
    Also contrast is abnormal (230 vs 1000:1 nominal), typical cause is limited (GPU) vs full range (monitor) mismatch  in HDMI.

Fix HDMI range issues first, then re run calibration. If after that white does not look white due to Spyder3, use visualwhite point editor and let Spyder3 use that visual white as reference to correct greys.

Dido
    Participant

77 / 5000

Hi Vincent but could it be better to connect the monitor via thunderbolt?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Dido.

Vincent
    Participant

Or make HDMI range match.

Dido
    Participant

I’m not a technician …
    how can i do to match the gamma in hdmi?

Dido
    Participant

I’m looking on the internet …
    but could it also be a cable problem?

Vincent
    Participant

It’s not gamma, its range. Monitor expects 0-255 range in signal but it is possible that M1 GPU is sending 16-235 range like a HDMI TV. It’s apple’s fault. Check OS configuration or Apple support.

Another way is to use displayport compatible media (mDP/thunderbolt in mac, Displayport on U2715H) which should be full range by default.

Dido
    Participant

Ok Vincent thank you … later after work on my way home I buy a thunderbolt cable> displayport and try
    Let’s hope everything goes well …. Thanks again very much

Dido
    Participant

Hi Vincent

summarizing
    Yesterday I bought the original Apple thunderbolt> HDMI adapter (I did not find thunderbolt> Displayport ) only 79 eu! Argh :-() but I hope the monitor’s HDMI input is full range.
    For displaycal settings I read on this forum that for spyder 3 you recommend a quick calibration, as per preset.
    So I set the profile I am interested in obtaining which for me is sRGB and I do not touch anything in the various options. No black compensation and white compensation ?
    What do you recommend for the profiling part?
    For the part of 3D LUT  gamma 2.2 correct? Or do I not have to activate the 3d LUT?

Thank you

Vincent
    Participant

Easier to buy a miniDisplayPort to Displayport…

Regarding configuration ans since you are on macos, reset displaycal to default settings for macOS (single curve matrix profile, BPC on etc, default settings) and set white point visually. I do not think that an Spyder3 can read white from that LED.
    Then let Spyder3 & DisplayCAL correct grey if it needs to be corrected. Plan to get an i1d3 colorimeter.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Dido
    Participant

Eh….

Sure !
    I’ll think about it …. but first I have to finish with softwere … like Nikon Capture One ….
    After all, it is enough for me that the monitor is within acceptable tolerances. I am not a professional photographer, let’s say that I am an advanced amateur photographer who loves to print photographs … so the result that matters to me is printing. Of course if the monitor is completely out the prints are not good
    Tonight I’ll try again …
    thank you Vincent

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS