DisplayCAL and Big Sur on M1

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL and Big Sur on M1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Алексей Котин
    Participant

Hello!
    Trying to calibrate display of MBP and connected to it external display, but DisplayCAL doesn’t see these displays in the Display list.
    Is there a way to find these displays 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

-Tools > Detect displays & isntruments

-If this does not work try to use ArgyllCMS command line and a simple spotread to check if gray patch square measurement window shows up in some screen.

-If this does not work try to apply an older ICC (with GPU calibration modifiying white point so even in a desktop managed enviroment there is a visible change) just to check that M1 GPU provides LUT access to OS. Maybe it does not like in rasberry pi (IDNK about M1 capabilities)

Алексей Котин
    Participant

nothing helps…  🙁

Vincent
    Participant

*If you did exactly as instructed part3* (ICC with GPU calibration that corrects whitepoint) and nothing happens using OS color management configuration… then it seems that M1 GPU has no access to LUT and calibration is not possible.

*If the situation you descrbe (even doing that part 3) is that way* all new M1 macbooks cannot be calibrated by user and also you cannot calibrate any external monitor unless it has HW calibration. Another reason to stay away from apple

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.

Алексей Котин
    Participant

Even folder with profiles is absolutelly locked. Tomorrow i will try to calibrate with original SpyderX software

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Alekkkkk
    Participant

I don’t know’s going on with the displays not showing up, but I ran DisplayCAL through the web server option and calibrated using Safari. Then to install the profile, copy the ICC file from your user DisplayCAL library folder (~/Library/Application\ Support/DisplayCAL/storage/WebProfileFolderName) to your system ColorSync library folder (/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays). To automate this from the command line, you could probably run:sudo cp ~/Library/Application\ Support/DisplayCAL/storage/Web*/*.icc /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/

Hopefully DisplayCAL can be updated to work with M1 and Big Sur? i1Profiler also can’t find the displays, and I think the SwitchResX developer has also had problems, so not sure if it’s that Apple’s made changes and not properly documented them or something less surmountable.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Alekkkkk.

Vincent
    Participant

Not sure that you actualy calibrated screen, maybe just profiled it (and since Macos desktop is color managed it may be all you need as long as grey color is nautral to whitepoint and whitepoint pleases you).
    Please, if you have time try to perform a calibration with whitepoint correction (for example if native is about 6900K CCT, try something like D50), so we are sure that M1 devices can actually load something into GPU LUTs. I’m afraid that this is the reason on all issues you have wrote here.

kofman13
    Participant

ugh this is so frustrating. I manually moved the ICC from my windows computer where I calibrated my monitors, to the color sync folder on my M1 Mac mini, and when I load it in color sync, it looks like it loads and then reverts to something else and it looks TERRIBLE. like 100% contrast or something. shouldn’t the ICC from display cal on my windows calibration look the same on Mac if load the ICC? I mean the settings on OSD on monitor are already perfect and the ICC just is the icing on the cake.. ICC on and off looks similar on windows. but this monitor on my Mac looks insanely bad even when I copy over ICC, but my other monitor looks the same as it did on windows….

Alekkkkk
    Participant

Ah, sorry. Yes, I meant profiling. At least as I understand these terms. I have a M1 Mac mini, so using an external display and have set the white balance target (6500K), gamma (2.2) and such on the display itself. Then I’ve loaded up the ‘Default’ ICC, which I’m assuming is used by DisplayCAL when selecting the Default (2.2) settings preset, in the OS system display settings as I assumed the web server would be colour-managed by the system. (As in, I’m assuming DisplayCAL loads up that ICC profile to measure changes against and create the new profile, but I haven’t actually read up on how this stuff works, so I tried to replicate that with Safari.) I calibrated using ‘interactive display adjustment’, but I didn’t have to change anything from the settings used for my old Intel Mac mini. Profiled using Safari as I said above.

I can make some time to test out this GPU stuff, I’m just not sure what I’d need to set. As you can probably tell, I’m new to all this colour management. Presumably, I’d change the whitepoint to ‘Color temperature’ and 5000K or something and see what happens? Unless this is just for Macs with internal displays?

Vincent
    Participant

Ah, sorry. Yes, I meant profiling. At least as I understand these terms. I have a M1 Mac mini, so using an external display and have set the white balance target (6500K), gamma (2.2) and such on the display itself. Then I’ve loaded up the ‘Default’ ICC, which I’m assuming is used by DisplayCAL when selecting the Default (2.2) settings preset, in the OS system display settings as I assumed the web server would be colour-managed by the system. (As in, I’m assuming DisplayCAL loads up that ICC profile to measure changes against and create the new profile, but I haven’t actually read up on how this stuff works, so I tried to replicate that with Safari.) I calibrated using ‘interactive display adjustment’, but I didn’t have to change anything from the settings used for my old Intel Mac mini. Profiled using Safari as I said above.

Not sure if a color managed browser like safari can be used to remotely profile a display. Maybe selecting sRGB profile as displayprofile on OS it outputs RGB values uncorrected.
    Firefox can turn color management off, at least on windows, you can try. HTML color 255 should render as P3 red, more saturated than sRGB 255 red.

I can make some time to test out this GPU stuff, I’m just not sure what I’d need to set. As you can probably tell, I’m new to all this colour management. Presumably, I’d change the whitepoint to ‘Color temperature’ and 5000K or something and see what happens? Unless this is just for Macs with internal displays?

IDNK if using remote measurement you can make profiles that store actual calibration in VCGT.
    Maybe it’s fastest to use another older computer to create an ICC profile with GPU calibration from external display in 6500K preset (do not change it) to D50 (in displaycal whtepoint target). Check if it works on older computer, just to check that caibration is there. Then copy it to M1 mac, load it and see if white changes to yellowish D50 white.

KR Lancaster
    Participant

anyone having luck calibrating monitors on Apple Silicon?

Carmine Paolino
    Participant

Hi there, I found a workaround.

If you have a previous profile created with DisplayCAL, open DisplayCAL (even on your M1), load your old profile, enable Show Advanced Options in the Options menu, go to the Profiling tab, and select Single curve + matrix as the profile type and enable black point compensation. Then use “Create profile from measurement data” from the File menu and save the new profile.

If you don’t have a DisplayCAL profile, use another computer to create a “Single curve + matrix” profile with the instructions above.

Once you have a single curve + matrix profile, navigate to
    ~/Library/Application Support/DisplayCAL/storage/
    and copy the appropriate ICC or ICM file to
    ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

I have done both and I’m quite pleased with the results (????E < 2) on my relatively cheap monitor, especially by creating a new profile from scratch from my windows machine.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi there, I found a workaround.

If you have a previous profile created with DisplayCAL, open DisplayCAL (even on your M1), load your old profile, enable Show Advanced Options in the Options menu, go to the Profiling tab, and select Single curve + matrix as the profile type and enable black point compensation. Then use “Create profile from measurement data” from the File menu and save the new profile.

If you don’t have a DisplayCAL profile, use another computer to create a “Single curve + matrix” profile with the instructions above.

Once you have a single curve + matrix profile, navigate to
    ~/Library/Application Support/DisplayCAL/storage/
    and copy the appropriate ICC or ICM file to
    ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

I have done both and I’m quite pleased with the results (????E < 2) on my relatively cheap monitor, especially by creating a new profile from scratch from my windows machine.

Does it load calibration curves? I mean if you chose other calibration target than native, like D50 L*, then make what you did… will M1 GPU load that calibration?

If your caibration target is close to factory values, like D65 and 2.2 gamma it is possible that no calibration at all is loading and you won’t notice it. The concerns about M1 are that it may be not be able to calibrate displays at all because of missing/unknown API in macos for M1 or because M1 lack of LUT hardware.

Do you mind trying what I suggest even on an external display using old calibration data? I mean using a calibration target far from display response, so VCGT data in ICC profile actually modifies display response in a way easy to measure.

Carmine Paolino
    Participant

Yes, Vincent, I can clearly see that the calibration I made – D65, 120cd/m2, 2.2 gamma – was loaded correctly: my Iiyama has a green tint that got fixed perfectly. It also looks like it has the same tonal response to the same profile loaded from Windows.

This is what I learned in this endeavour:

• M1 Macs can indeed load ICC profiles using Apple ColorSync, with some exceptions:
      • XYZ LUT + matrix profiles are loaded incorrectly: everything turns white and weird.
      • Single curve + matrix profiles are loaded perfectly!
      • i1 Profiler profiles are loaded, but are somehow washed out – looks like an incorrect representation of the color gamut.
    • The API change that Graeme is referring to means that non-Apple calibration software will need to be updated to read and write LUTs from the GPU, but that doesn’t stop us from creating ICC profiles from another computer and simply using the Display preference pane to select it.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant
      <li style=”list-style-type: none;”>
    • i1 Profiler profiles are loaded, but are somehow washed out – looks like an incorrect representation of the color gamut.

Table or matrix? Table profiles are “equivalent” to Argyll XYZLUT. Matrix is like single curve + matrix in Displaycal.

Also Xrite stores WP as PCS d50 white using a CHAD matrix to actual white. I think that ColorSync never had issues with that in the past.

PS: glad to read that there is no HW problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS