DisplayCAL and Big Sur on M1

Home Forums Help and Support DisplayCAL and Big Sur on M1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

PS2: When ArgyllCMS gets updated, do you mind to test “uncalibrated display report” on a 8bit display to check video LUT bitdepth or the presence of dithering?

BSTNFNL
    Participant

Hi,

I have been trying this over and over for days without luck. Both with my Colormunki Display and i1 Pro. (Single curve + matrix with black point comp)

I found the workaround of using Web @ localhost and Safari for calibration, and the full calibration/profiling runs fine. I even tried Chrome to make sure Safari does not alter the color spectrum in Web @ localhost. What I get is colors looking fine, but the blacks are washed out. Main problem arises when I run a verification, and everything is way off. So I can’t trust this profile.

I have successfully calibrated with an Intel Mac, and moved the profiles over to the M1, but I wonder if this is an actually workaround, as the M1 GPU is different? Won’t that GPU read the profile differently?

Another issue I have found is that if I rund DisplayCal through Web @ localhost in my previously made profile, the results come back 70% AdobeRGB gamut. If I switch to SD 170M-A before running the calibration, the new profile shows 98% AdobeRGB coverage. I am sure something must be amiss here, and I wonder if this is a Web @ localhost issue, or a M1 issue? I thought previously set profiles would not affect results in DisplayCal.

Any help would be appreciated as I have spent days trying to get an adequate calibration that I can trust on my new M1 and CM3271K setup.

Thank you

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

BSTNFNL
    Participant

Update, Using Web @ Localhost via Firefox rather than Safari or Chrome greatly improved my profiling and it is now adequate except some black point issues. Seems Firefox is the most faithful to color rendering while Safari forces things in to a sRGB space.

CMK2
    Participant

Hi there,
    I also have an M1 Mac and the same problem. is there any news (i’m a professional photographer and I’m urgently waiting for the update)? unfortunately nobody answers me via the email from argyllcms …
    calibrating via browser does not give me a good result. inserting an old icc file cannot really be used for image processing.
    Best regards

Vincent
    Participant

Hi there,
    I also have an M1 Mac and the same problem. is there any news (i’m a professional photographer and I’m urgently waiting for the update)? unfortunately nobody answers me via the email from argyllcms …

Blame Apple for changing API without detailed documentation, Xrite has not an updated i1Profiler AFAIK

calibrating via browser does not give me a good result. inserting an old icc file cannot really be used for image processing.
    Best regards

If you have external display use another laptop to generate ICC + grey calibation, Then copy to M1.

If your only display is macbook display remote web measurement should be used AFAIK with non color managed browser. Try firefox, google to disable color management (about:config, search “gfx.”, google value for color management off).
    Then profile, matrix 1 curve.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Vincent.

CMK2
    Participant

i have an icc profile from my second computer. that fits the colors too, but the contrast is missing. what do you mean by gray calibration?

Vincent
    Participant

i have an icc profile from my second computer.

It only works for the display connected to that computer. If it is an external display you can plug it to m1 and use it with its ICC. if it is a laptop display you cannot.

that fits the colors too, but the contrast is missing.

Do you mean lower than expected contrasn on external display connected to M1 that looks good on your other computer?

If it is that check this eizo link about input signal, but applied to your display

https://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/pc/mac/apple-m1/

what do you mean by gray calibration?

ICC display profiles store after calibration display behavior. If display has not HW/internal gret calibration ICC file can store grey calibration in VCGT tag. It is loaded in GPU LUTs.
    i1Profiler, Datacolor software and ArgyllCMS/DisplayCAL calibrate displays using GPU LUT. They can only fix white, grey color and gamma, they are the only things that a GPU LUT (1D) can correct.

CMK2
    Participant

i use a macbook pro 13 m1 and a lg 38 21: 9 monitor (usb c). unfortunately I cannot change the signal format on the monitor. the colors are corrected with the old icc profile in my opinion, only the black looks washed out and the white overexposed.

Vincent
    Participant

i use a macbook pro 13 m1 and a lg 38 21: 9 monitor (usb c). unfortunately I cannot change the signal format on the monitor. the colors are corrected with the old icc profile in my opinion, only the black looks washed out and the white overexposed.

Is there some input range 16-235 vs 0-255 or RGB vs YUV in monitor? Check manual. Your problem looks like that.

CMK2
    Participant

I have now set the gamma to the darkest setting. that’s ok until an update comes. I can’t adjust anything more on the monitor, which would make sense. now it’s time to wait for the patch…

steven kornreich
    Participant

Has anyone got displaycal to work with the M1 Mini and the LG 5K Thunderbolt monitor?  First thing I doesn’t even see the display and if I click on Calibrate & Profile I get the following error “IndexError: List index out of range” and also when I do a “Tools” detect Display Devices and instruments if doesn’t find the display yet it does show my i1 Display Pro

Vincent
    Participant

steven kornreich
    Participant

Thanks where do install these files to?

Алексей Котин
    Participant

HD/Users/ YourName/Library/Application Support/DisplayCAL/dl/AgryII_V2.1.2/bin
    I deleted old files with the same names and put there new

steven kornreich
    Participant

Thanks that did the trick.. I was able to successfully calibrate my LG 27″ 5K display on my M1 Mac mini using my write i1 Display Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS