DispayCal 3D Lut table for Davinci Resolve

Home Forums Help and Support DispayCal 3D Lut table for Davinci Resolve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Martin Petrov
    Participant

Hello to all. Maybe something of my questions will be asked and before, but I’m new in that sphere.

I have an Eizo CS2420  reference monitor connected via Decklink Mini Monitor.

I first calibrate my Eizo with Color Navigator 7 and Eizo ex 4 calibrator.

I receive very good results for this monitor like delta e 00 below 2.

Then I use that color profile that I calibrate with CN7 to make a 3D Lut Table for Davinci Resolve via Display Cal.

First, attachment is a result of it. Please, tell me if this results well to proceed or where I wrong.

The second attachment is from my second try to make a 3D Lut Table, there I use Adobe RGB profile on Eizo(which is  wide gamut and hardware calibrate profile)

Which are the best results and which way is correct to make that 3D Lut Table for Davinci. Is Eizo ex 4(spyder x) is good enough to calibrate properly monitor for color grading or not. I’ll appreciate to tell me your opinion and methods for best calibration practise for Davinci Resolve. Thank you in advance.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

-Eizo easypix (Spyders) are not reliable measurement devices. Those measurements may not be real at all. Get an i1DisplayPro, it works with CN software.
    Anyway, it white 255 “looks white”, you can live with it.

-Rec 1886 is not adviced to that kind of low contrast displays (IPS) you’ll get near black colors lifted. Check resulting gamma. If you do it that way on purpose, all OK. If wanted 2.4 do not use Rec1886 on low contrast displays.

-Measurement report going through device link ( akin to Resolve LUT3D) shows a grey range a little high. It may be a side effect of LUT3D correcting white too (you may try relative colorimetric intent when making LUT3D to do not modify CN resulting white), or may be not. To check lastes one just run a measurement report with no profile simulation on CN profile set as defaukt profile in your OS settings. Then choose RGB+gray balace on 1st HTML report combo an look for unusually high grey range. Those Eizo CSs are expected to behave very well after CN, range under 1.

-Usual way to proceed is to use CN to get desired white, brightness and gamma. Resulting profile from CN is a highly idealized display description (may not be real), and it is that way because it may be an real match to display behavior and because of limiting rounding errors on color management apps like Photoshop when doing complicated color transpformations.
    So once you have calibration stored by CN inside monitor, usually people make a very detailed profile (XYZLUT) on that monitor OSD setting using DisplayCAL. That profile is then used un LUT3D creator to your desired settings like Rec709 g2.4

Martin Petrov
    Participant

Are you sure that the i1 display pro will be better than that spyder x calibrator?

Also, I forgot to write that I calibrate my monitor connected via decklink mini monitor, not from a GPU.

How to run this measurement report with no profile simulation?

Your advice is to calibrate it only with CN7 and then to make ” a very detailed profile (XYZLUT) on that monitor OSD setting using DisplayCAL. ” How to do that,

my monitor is LCD, not OSD or IPC.

Thank you in advance.

Vincent
    Participant

Are you sure that the i1 display pro will be better than that spyder x calibrator?

No doubt. Faster & more accurate and best of all upgradeable with spectral corrections by software. SpyderX is locked to whatever corrections Datacolor put on it, for future backlights you’ll have to use an spectrophotometer for YOUR particular display and your particular colorimeter while i1d3 can run on generic spectralpower distribution for that backlight and compute actual colorimeter correction for that unit on the fly.

There is no reason now and there was no reason to buy Spyders in the past.

But..if white looks white and low light readings ar not too off you can use it for the requested tests.

Also, I forgot to write that I calibrate my monitor connected via decklink mini monitor, not from a GPU.

But you calibrated it with CN connected to your computer’s GPU. Don’t you?

How to run this measurement report with no profile simulation?

I said it above. Set as default display profile the ICC profile created by CN (connect it to computer GPU). Then DisplayCAL measurement report with all simulation profile options clean or disabled. That will validate CN calibration to whatever you set as target.

This is just to check CN’s whitepoint and grey range.

Your advice is to calibrate it only with CN7 and then to make ” a very detailed profile (XYZLUT) on that monitor OSD setting using DisplayCAL. ” How to do that,

DisplayCAL tutorial for resolve.

3D LUT creation workflow for Resolve

my monitor is LCD, not OSD or IPC.

Your monitor has an OSD (on screen display, menu controls) and an IPS panel

Martin Petrov
    Participant

Thank you for that info. I appreciate it.

Before getting this calibrator I ask Eizo and they told me to take this one ex 4. Now I’ll get i1 display pro 2 or pro 3(x-rite) is that correct?

I found that here in Bulgaria. https://magazin.photosynthesis.bg/bg/12589-kalibrator-x-rite-i1display-pro.html

I calibrate it with CN7 via GPU, yes and my question is did you know when I calibrate it via GPU and then go back with decklink mini monitor, is this ICC profile is read good enough by mini-monitor. I know that Nvidia is 8 bit, the monitor is 10bit, and the mini monitor signal is also 10 bit. Is there everything transferred correctly from GPU to Decklink.

I said it above. Set as default display profile the ICC profile created by CN (connect it to computer GPU). Then DisplayCAL measurement report with all simulation profile options clean or disabled. That will validate CN calibration to whatever you set as target.

What you mean here, that I need to create for example rec 709 2.4 profile and do not use validate options in CN7, but to use that’s on DisplayCaL.

And finally to create  3d Lut via DisplayCaL from that profile I early set on Eizo(for example rec 709 2.4)

Thank you!

Vincent
    Participant

Before buying i1d3 do the other test. Bitdepth has no effect on HW calibration. It takes just a few measurements from all colorspace.

Validate CN calibration (usually at native gamut) is just to validate CN resulting ICC profile. Check white & grey color on it.

Then make a detailed profile of that calibration as instructed in DIsplayCAL wiki. It’s like a taylor made suit, it dioes not matter you actual size (calibration), suit just need to fit you (screen) no matter what is your actual size (calibration).
    With a detailed profile you can make as many LUT3D you want to whatever colorspace target you want ti simulate, like Rec709, but also DCI-P3.

just 1 HW calibration at native gamut

=> 1 detailed XYZLUT profile made from that

=> as many LUT3D as colorspaces you want to simulate in Resolve or MadVR.

Martin Petrov
    Participant

Thank you, Vincent for all that information.

I’m so green with all those things, but you help me to understand a lot.

To be sure – I need to HW calibrate at the beginning that wide gamut profile, in my case (Afobe RGB), or just to use CN to validate that Adobe RGB profile without to calibrate it. Where to check the white and gray profile on measurement document or with my eyes.

Then I need to go with the instruction that you send me for DisplayCal. And when I do that will have different colorspaces inside Davinci.

I’ll import attachment  from  CN and DisplayCal

Thank you in advance!

Martin Petrov
    Participant

I read the link you gave me. I think I do exactly that before I start this discussion, maybe without some details.

I use the wide gamut(Adobe RGB) profile in my EIZO and use displaycal to make a 3d lut table for Davinci.

This profile comes ready with my monitor is that right ?

Please, look at the results attached here.

The 3D lut table was created to try decklink mini monitor.

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Your monitor has no profiles, has factory calibrations. If you want to use factory calibrations you choose the equivalent profile in OS.

If you use CN, it makes its own profile after calibration and you should use that profile as OD default profile.

There is no need to use an AdobeRGB factory calibration or CN’s HW calibration to AdobeRGB. Use native gamut instead so you can make several LUT3Ds from the same calibration, like Rec709, DCI-P3.. etc.

Also you are not verifying what I asked you, I asked to to check if that high grey range comes from HW cal (It should not) but you keep using Resolve LUT3D for verification. It was explained previously, no need to repeat it.

One More Frame Studio
    Participant

Hello Vincent,

I’m Martin Petrov (who start this discussion) but I forget my login details and login with new profile.

I have a validation on HW generated profile which I do couple of days before now. I’ll attached here.(It’s a rec 709 2.4 profile)

That’s that I don’t understand yet is that native gamut( for example now I’ll create 80cd/m rec 709 2.4 gamma and native gamut profile or that is mistake). You told me do not use Adobe RGB wich is wide gamut profile in’t it?

And When I validable or create new HW profile via CN7 to use computer GPU and then if the mats ok to Use DisplayCal via decklink or GPU is my last question to create a XYZ 3d lut?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

-Using HW cal to limit to rec709 is possible but not as useful as native. Your solution is useful for non color managed apps.

-Using AdobeRGB for HW calibration is useless. You won’t be able to make seveal LUT3D from the same HW cal, P3 red is far out from AdobeRGB, but close on native.

It’s all explaned above, it’s like going on circles:

HW CAL native gamut (close to AdobeRGB green, P3 red) => make 1 XYZLUT detailed profile => make “n” LUT3D to several targets, as many as you need.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

One More Frame Studio
    Participant

Vincent,

sorry for my english but I really cannot understand which is native gamut and how to set it? Please, help me with that. When I’m in CN7 I have only a couple of profiles to select for HW calibration and that’s are print proofing, Adobe RGB, sRGB, EBU, rec 709, bt 2020, SMPTE – C and DCI – P3, which exactly of that color spaces to choose? I o not understand that? Is my gamma needs to be 2.4 or 2.2? My envirement  is very dark with only bias lighting background the monitor and I think to select 80 cd/m or 100cd/m. Thank you in advance!

One More Frame Studio
    Participant

I think figure out with native gammut, I just no selected any color space and my gammut is native also i changed the gama to 2.4(is that correct) I do 2 measurment one one in 80 cd and one in 100cd. Please, check the validation results from CN7 below from attached files. And if now is good I need to input my monitor via decklink to do the XYZ 3D Lut or?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Now do the same but validate resulting CN’s profile in DisplayCAL. Just validate, no calibration. Check white & range.

If all is OK then proceed as described in  #26767.

One More Frame Studio
    Participant

I just set DisplayCal to make XYZ 3D lut like you said. Now I’ll wait about hour to finished it. I’ll post the results here. Is there something wrong with white. How exactly to check it by this numbers or on eye

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS