-d parameter 1 out of range (Mac M1)

Home Forums Help and Support -d parameter 1 out of range (Mac M1)

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Robb Harriss
    Participant

Yes you really need a windows machine running calman. That’s what your system is designed for. I’m not sure what you mean when you say you couldn’t see the .cube. You mean you couldn’t see the .cube extension or you couldn’t find the file? Mac will often hide the extension, but you can reveal it. And you can save the lut anywhere and move it onto a card for transfer.

Vincent
    Participant

Does parallels running on a M1 allow you to install a x64 windows OS? Wow. Which Parallels version are you using?

Samiamfoto
    Participant

Windows 11 was installed with Parallels. In searching forums I thus far found (it seems) x64 Parallels isn’t possible on any apple CPU (aka my M1). thought forum posts were from last year though so perhaps that’s shifted by now? I haven’t found it and IDK how to run it if so (or haven’t figured that out yet)

Vincent
    Participant

Then… how did you run Displaycal (x32/x64 binaries) inside a parallels virtual machine?

Samiamfoto
    Participant

This term (these terms) I’m not familiar with = x32/x64 binaries

what I do know, is I set DisplayCal at 175 Patches, ‘resolve’ and quick calibraation time. and then got stuck

Samiamfoto
    Participant

by getting ‘stuck’ I. mean to say it allowed me to go through the entire calibration and actually save a 3D LUT only to state some conflicts, then when I put the .cube on an sd card the 702 OLED woudln’t even see it, the 502 (old school ‘regular NON oled) saw the cube but stated it was out of range and couldn’t make sense of it. the entire screen when green and blak something like looking at DOS  (black screen green characters though mine was Chromoa green screen black characters )

Vincent
    Participant

This term (these terms) I’m not familiar with = x32/x64 binaries

what I do know, is I set DisplayCal at 175 Patches, ‘resolve’ and quick calibraation time. and then got stuck

I mean…

-You have a M1 (ARM architecture) mac running macOS

-macOS has a translator on the fly for old macOS apps built for Intel x64 architecture to be trasnlated to M1 ARM architecture: Rosetta

-ArgyllCMS for macOS is built for x64 but can run on M1 devices thanks to rosetta.

-you have installed Parallels for M1 (ARM architecture version)

-You cannot virtualize an intel based x64 operative system in parallels because it is not supported right now

Then…

How did you run DisplayCAL INSIDE a Windows virtual machine in parallels ? (Maybe I did nt understand you properly and you did not say that)
    DisplayCAL executables for windows are built for intel x86/x64 architecture, AFAIK there is no Argyllcms or DIsplayCAL built for Windows ARM architecture. So… it should not even run/start.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Vincent.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

Thankyou for the explanation. What I know:

I installed the Parallels trial version. I install display cal for windows and was then prompted to install Agryll. Looks good. I ran DisplayCal. Resolve would not run in Parallels, I kept getting a GPU error, then found on forums it will not run on an M1 in Parallels. I ran REsolve in Mac Os while running DusplayCal in Paralells. the calibration would not work.

I changed the Patch a couple of times, didn’t help. The calibration would lock up midway (just freeze) and the runtime display would go up (indicating it was taking longer to perform the task). I tried for about two hours, it wouldn’t work.

I cahnged one more parameter: there is an option where you can choose if you want to calirbration time to go more quickly, so I chose that, then selected calibrate. This time it finished the calbration, but with errors (stated in an earlier post in this thread). I tried this about 2 or 3 more times on both the 502 (old school basic monitor) and the 702 OLED, no dice same errors on both. It did allow me to save the 3D LUT (within Display Cal even though the patch/color boxes went through resolve studio and the default name was ‘resolve’). I then saved that 3 d LUT to an sd card (same card I pulled form said monitor) put that back into the monitor. the 502 recognized the LUT but wouldn’t use it stating the error message listed in an earlier post in this thread (I donot have that handy atm). When I tried this on the 702 OLED it did not even see the LUT. I opened resolve and exported that same 3D LUT to save again under a different name. Still the 702 did not see it. I am at a loss atm and scratching my head.

Went onto other forums, and everything that came up was no one was successful in running DisplayCal on the M1. I called Calman. The support team at Calman stated: ‘Calman does not work on the M1. There is a workaround for intel but NOT the M1 (Even with Rosetta). He did say he has ‘heard’ of a couple of folks having luck with Rosetta but he didn’t know how and for others it did not work. He said their internal team has no fix for this therefore they state it just doesn’t run on the M1, must use a physical windows machine.

I tried doing this on my roommate’s windows. it locked up. He does has a current issue with his dell where it locks on up him randomly and Dell is slated to support him on this already having changed his motherboard (they said it’s a Dell issue). that didn’t fix his machine (still locks up long before I tried DisplCal on it. So. Dell gave him some direction on what to do with his computer to fix the issue he is having. Once that is done I will try this on his computer again. Otherwise I do not have access ot q windows machine (Sad I know– seems like everyone I know here in new york and beyond only has Macs…even their phones!!! I’m one of the less thn 1% on android WTF, New York ). I wil try this againon his windows machin Monday or tuesday after he gets it fixed.

p.s. Support team at Calman did say my puck would (or should) work and that shouldn’t be the issue its and M1 issue (and in the case of my rm8s machine..it’s in need of repair)

cheers,

Sam

cheers,

Samantha

Robb Harriss
    Participant

Yeah, calman on the windows machine is the way to go, in particular, because your monitors are designed for it. Also, your monitors, according to the manual, do not work with cube LUTs. I believe, if I remember correctly, 3DL format. That’s why you were getting the error messages or the 702 wouldn’t even see the lut. take a look at the manual. I feel relatively safe and saying that display Cal is not the way you want to go.

Vincent
    Participant

Thankyou for the explanation. What I know:

I installed the Parallels trial version. I install display cal for windows and was then prompted to install Agryll. Looks good. I ran DisplayCal. Resolve would not run in Parallels, I kept getting a GPU error, then found on forums it will not run on an M1 in Parallels. I ran REsolve in Mac Os while running DusplayCal in Paralells. the calibration would not work.

Again:

-you have installed Parallels for M1 (ARM architecture version)

-You cannot virtualize an intel based x64 operative system in parallels because it is not supported right now, did you?

How did you run DisplayCAL INSIDE a Windows virtual machine in parallels ?
    DisplayCAL executables for windows are built for intel x86/x64 architecture, AFAIK there is no Argyllcms or DIsplayCAL built for Windows ARM architecture.

So… it should not even run/start.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

I do not know what x 64 is. I did nothing special that I am aware of to run displaycal. I do know it ran and created a 3 D LUT and also that lut does not down on either of my Small HDs . it came up with several errors I’m just trying to either fix THIS or have o go to borrow someone’s working windows machine.

I have ZERO idea what x64 is I am not a coder or a computer ‘person’ in that regard. I know software, cameras, color and myriad of other things, but coding and certain computer language or how they run, not as much. I know the basics. And what I know I already stated. I’m thinking I”ve  hit the end with a chance of doing this on an M1 (which it seems I have) and it’s time to borrow someone’ ‘working’ (not my rm8s) windows machine. I do not know how to use Rosetta. I only know if it is some kind of workaround for getting some windows apps to work on my Mq (I’m guessing I still don’t fully understand what Rosetta is). I do not the support team at Calman said it will NOT work on the M1 only the intels, but he has ‘heard’ rumors of some folks getting it to work through Rasberry pi (I think that is what is is called which I don’t know what raspi is either).

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS