-d parameter 1 out of range (Mac M1)

Home Forums Help and Support -d parameter 1 out of range (Mac M1)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Samiamfoto
    Participant

@Robb, camera in the field vary daily. I did answer that one (Thanks for asking) but it may have been lost in the mix.

camera range anywhere from Alexa Mini LF, Mini, Amira, Plus, to C300 (M1, M2), Sony Fx9, Fx3, Fx6, FS7, A7siii, Canon R5, R5C, hopefully someday Venice (obviously jobs budget depending)

Monitors used vary just as greatly but 90% Small HD (some version of). I own a 702 OLED and a 502, but on set we can used rentals or other crew owned monitors (Flanders, Sony, Panasonic, TV Logic and one that begins with a Z I forget maybe ‘Zheng’ ?)

I was not able to see the ‘remedy’ for the mac permissions problem. I”m guessing it’s in this thread? THANK YOU..as it stands I ‘might’ have one hair strand left after pulling all of it out over this. and @ vincent if were practical to hire a calibrator for every job even on one-woman band jobs that I often have, or productions that don’t hire a DIT (99.9999% of all my jobs) that would be great, but it is not, hence here we are.

Thankyou guys

cheers,

Samantha

Robb Harriss
    Participant

OK, a few of those cameras will store LUTs internally. That will help. More importantly several of the monitors will store LUTs internally. That’s what you want. Display Cal will generate a LUT you can use for correction on those devices. You probably may not need much.

I’ll write up the procedure to get rid of the error on the Mac. It’s tedious but easy. It solved everything for me and has to do with the installer not being written quite right for more current versions of the OS. The resultant problem is fairly common though you hardly ever see the error message you and I both received. I’ve been dealing with the video end of this for more than 40 years. Keeps changing rapidly. Once you get this running you’d be well served to spend time in DIT forums.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

THANK YOU, Robb. I woudl LOVE to spend tie on DIT forums! I love forums. I do check on the FB groups but am at times embarrassed to ask questions unless asking DIts I know personally. I did reach out to one of my Best friends (we came up together he went the DIT route whereas I stuck with the shooting route). He’s not been able to get back to me. I found Display Cal and so was checking here.

I’m a photographer, DP/operator and content creator. for 15-20 years I’ve been a Digital tech for still photography (went out on a Tommy Hilfiger job a few days ago). For the better part of the last 15 of 33 years in the business, I’ve been 50% on the ‘motion’ side mostly shooting and going out as an AC. they have been asking the AC to ‘media manage’. Most of these jobs (99.9%) do not have the budget for a DIT. Even the feature I was on a few months ago (indie) did not have this myself and the 2nd AC ended up doing far more than ‘media managing’ to compensate for them not being able to afford a DIT (yes I was extremely vocal about what we were doing bleeding over into the ‘DIT’ world and we could really use a DIT if they could find the money).  I’m so used to my monitors (from the photo side) being calibrated (by me) that I just can’t stand these nonmatching field/production monitors. I used to work in a lab (part-time) for 10 years some of that processing and printing color. I can’t stand mix-matched (color on) monitors. Yes, I view the readouts in Resolve and have been working off that but obviously after the footage is ingested. I would LOVE the monitors we are using to at least not make me cringe every time I view them. Yes, Flanders is great, though its not so great pulling focus (Wearing it around my neck) outside in the bright sun, nor is it really easy to move around in run-and-gun setups. Flanders would need to be kept calibrated anyway, so back to square one.

I will keep looking back here and wow this is GREAT you are wonderful thankyou. Where are you based? are you union? Do you ever work non union commercials? Do you ever work nonunion on photo (piggy-back) shoots? a LOT of the work I do (because of being primarily a portrait photographer and in that world for decades) is jobs where photography is the hero and they are also shooting ‘motion’. These jobs are leaning more and more on the ‘motion’ side and TBH I think they could use a real DIT.

cheers,

Samantha

Vincent
    Participant

=> You need to calibrate display using only OSD controls, only that (or HW calibration if available). Why? because that’s all you have since no computer will be pluged to it on your daily work to your Small HD & others

If you want to calibrate a field monitor you need to simulate a connection like do with your camera or player or whatever device you work with.
    For your task usually people use a pattern generator plugged to monitor, to ensure digital signal is the same as expected by display while you work with it: RGB Ycbcr full vs legal etc. But since you do not have one (even a raspi, as cheap full range RGB pattern generator) a mac laptop may not be the best choice because you’ll have to deal with GPU options, usually with text config files to configure HDMI output in the same way. That  mac configuration may be available in some mac forum. On Windows laptops it will happen the same issue, but a raspi and an eth cable do the job as cheap pattern generator and then use HCFR to measure color coordinates and adjust OSD the best it can be adjusted.

If you cannot do this (maybe because you do not have the HW to do it)… you’ll need to hire somebody who can (and it’s expected that he will carry all the requiered HW, including measurement devices and a pattern generator)

Rosetta is some Apple mechanism to translate intel x64 compiled apps to M1 on the fly: to use older software not built for M1 but for older macintels. it shoudl be transparent to user.

Regarding security issues, go to security in your mac preferences and you’ll see 4 tabs but that stuff should be configured in advance (General, otherwise DisplayCAL shouldn’t run) or rejecetd by user by mistake (Privacy, dispwin). IDNK what other security issues has Robb in his M1.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

Vincent, I understand that I need a device to create a LUT and apply that to eh monitor, which is why I’m here int he first place. I did not ask why I needed that setup. I know I won’t have a computer connected to the small hd.

I was asking what is rosetta, but I did find out what it is and installed it using the terminal (mac). Robb chimed in (thank goodness) and it appears there is a permissions issue on the M1. the ArgryllCMS 2.3.1 looks like was updated in 2017. long before the M1. it’s made for either intel or Power PC (or so it states on their message board-like website). Robb stated he had the same issue and figured out a ‘fix’. though I have many skills, figuring out that ‘fix’ is thus far beyond mine. He did offer to share that workaround, therefore I am standing by.

I do not know what a ‘RASPI’ is, therefore am actively looking this up today (to learn an possibly invest in if affordable).

“a mac laptop may not be the best choice because you’ll have to deal with GPU options, usually with text config files to configure HDMI output in the same way. That  mac configuration may be available in some mac forum. On Windows laptops it will happen the same issue, but a raspi and an eth cable do the job as cheap pattern generator and then use HCFR to measure color coordinates and adjust OSD the best it can be adjusted.” – YES!! 🙂 understand this 100%, of course. jsut never heard of a Raspi (not HCFR acronym) prior to our chats here, therefore learning this (researching more in depth off this forum) now.

“If you cannot do this (maybe because you do not have the HW to do it)… you’ll need to hire somebody who can (and it’s expected that he will carry all the requiered HW, including measurement devices and a pattern generator)”. OF course! as mentioned prior, if these jobs (or my out-of-pocket self-produced one-woman band situation) could afford a full-blown DIT I wouldn’t be on here. However that is not the case . as for hardware I do have an ‘affordable’ puck that is standard in the high end commercial photography worls (EYE ONE Display Pro – puck) but I do not have the $6k to pay for something like a Klein at this point. So, I am using what HW (hardware) I do have. Sadly this is thus far only a Mac, instead of both mac and Windows. Therefore enters the conundrum…M1 permissions (Seems like).

“Rosetta is some Apple mechanism to translate intel x64 compiled apps to M1 on the fly: to use older software not built for M1 but for older macintels. it shoudl be transparent to user.”. THANK YOU!!! I did find this not long before your reply. I did install it (using the terminal) or so it seems. I have not tried (again) since knowingly installing Rosetta, hwoever, Robb stated he was having the same issue and had a more lengthy workaround. So, I am looking for his reply as well.

I wil check into the privacy/security in the mac system prefs. I have def had to manually select apps to run that way before. Apple is def an issue in general, though I mentioned above why I am on this platform and that at some poine (when money allows) I will have both machines (problem mostly solved). At this point I am stuck on the M1 Max. Once Robb replies here I hope everyone can benefit from his experience with that. I do not think I am the only person who had this issue, though one of the folks that speak out. I don’t mind being embarrassed doing so 🙂

cheers,

Samantha

Robb Harriss
    Participant

You’re not gonna see anything of note in the permissions panel. That’s the problem. you’re not gonna see anything of note in the permissions panel. That’s the problem.

. recently, the Mac O West became more stringent in its permissions. This is in addition to the usual pop-ups, but it turns out that in some cases when the installer is not written correctly, the necessary, permissions box does not pop up on screen. I think a lot of us have seen that, you go into the permissions panel and you’ll see a message saying that the software cannot be installed because it’s not from a registered developer, or whatever language is used. Now, it turns out that if you do not see that message and do not respond positively to it at that time , that message will disappear in about 15 minutes and not reappear again if you try to reinstall the software the ability to respond in the respond in the affirmative disappears in the future, and does not reappear. there in lies the problem: no notification, no message in the permission, panel, and no easy way to change your permission once it’s set.

now, I’m assuming all of this is wrapped up in the same error message. Note, I have explained before, I am not on an M1 Mac, and yet received the same error message. The procedure listed by another user, whose remedy I could not find via the forums search function ( The procedure listed by another user, whose remedy I could not find via the forums search function. (it was revealed via a Google search), did fix the problem for me. So I’m hoping you’ll experience the same result.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

Thankyou! of course 100% I have (multiple times) seen the pop up screen ‘cannot be installed because it’s not from a registered developer blah blah). No, I didn’t see that this time (which tbh I was surprised by).

where is the procedure which I may try using to fix this situation?

“The procedure listed by another user, whose remedy I could not find via the forums search function ( The procedure listed by another user, whose remedy I could not find via the forums search function. (it was revealed via a Google search), did fix the problem for me. So I’m hoping you’ll experience the same result.”

Robb Harriss
    Participant

That’s what I’ll write up. May as well document it. Then we can talk about DIT/AC stuff

Vincent
    Participant

ArgyllCMS Current Version 2.3.1 (27th June 2022)

Regarding security issue I do not own an ARM mac, on intel allow developer is in General and Dispwin access to some folders is in Privacy, files.
    If DIsplayCAL were the issue, check Erkans port to python 3 but AFAIK there is no DMG, just code:
    https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

Again… regarding how to calibrate your field monitors. Let’s assume that there is no HW CAL (and if there was very likely to need to pay for it) for your models. Then you’ll have to use OSD controls: RGB gain RGBCMY saturatuion and 10 or 20 point grayscale. You have nothing more to use.
    In order to measure you need to send color patches to the field monitor… and it needs to be configured in the same way as the other electronic devices you use to send data to your monitor. Otherwise when you calibrate tweaking OSD controls connected to macbook you are not using it like the other devices where it is going to be plugged (liek your camera). So first of all find how it will be working on field… once you know it (for example RGB 4:4:4 full range, unlikely to be that) configure HDMI output of your mac to match that signal format (search mac forums). Pattern generators are used to avoid that, the pattern generatro device is configured to macth working conditions and a laptop is used to send patches to pattern generator.
    Once you are able to do this you can start thinking about measuring with ArgyllCMS of whatever calibration suite you want, but without that first step…

Samiamfoto
    Participant

Vincent, once again I am aware of needing to connect a device to the monitors to calibrate them. My aim here is/was to generate a LUT then save it to sd card and drop that into the monitor whilst not connected.

I was doing this through Davinci REsolve (connecting it to Display cal using an IP. that part worked. just when I selected calibrate or run calibration in display cal that is when I got the error.

using the monitors internal system to calibrate is what I’ve been doing for 15 years. Just it’s not really working, it’s pretty terrible tbh and I jsut need to do this hard wired then save a LUT on the sd (ur use a generator as you described which Iw illbe looking into)

I am no longer on an intel mac it’s now M! so I believe ther in lies one of the mmain issues.

pardon typso am on set

Robb Harriss
    Participant

Ok, I gave up on the screen grabs. Too much of a mess trying to post them here. So here’s a text version for Mac.

Place the Argyll folder in the Applications folder.

click on the reveal arrow and open the Argyll folder. You’ll see a sub folder called “bin”

Double-click the bin folder to open it. Now you see the Unit executable files that need updated permission to run.

Now, before anything else go to System Preferences and open the Security & Privacy Panel and go to the General tab.

Unlock this general tab by clicking on the lock icon the the lower left and entering your computer password.

back in the bin folder double-click on each of the Unix executables, one at a time. As you  run each item you’ll get a pop-up warning telling you the OS cannot run it because it’s from an unidentified developer. Go ahead and click on OK.

immediately go to the Security and Privacy panel where you see a similar warning. Click on Open Anyway.

Yet another warning box will pop up asking “are you sure?” go ahead and click Open.

at this point a terminal window will open on it’s own and the unix file will launch. If all goes well the last line will say “Process complete.” You can close this window.

Go back and do the next Unix file. Just be slow and methodical, doing each one completely before moving on to the next. It will take a few minutes and then there will be none left. I don’t know if rebooting is necessary but it didn’t hurt, so close everything and reboot.

DisplayCal should operate now. It did for me and several others who saw the same error message. It doesn’t appear to be M1 or Intel related. It does seem to be an issue in how the warning message do or do not pop up initially. I did not get any, likely because Argyll was not implemented in a way that it wanted. The warning were probably in the Security panel. But while it has now become my practice, in this case I did not have the security panel open and missed it. I’ve read elsewhere that if you do not respond positively within the time limit (the writer mentioned 15 minutes) then the warning will disappear and not reappear in any following attempted to run the software. Not something I’d heard anywhere else.

So let’s just see if this works before moving onto anything else.

Luck!

Samiamfoto
    Participant

oh my gosh THANK YOU x 1Million !!!

Robb Harriss
    Participant

Let’s see if it works for you.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

WOW. I did read this as well somewhre, just didn’t know to click on each of the files in the ‘bin’ (duh). this is Everything!! I even saw ‘dispwin’ running the cal ‘series’ through during the terminal command series (YAAAAS). This is BOSS yes! Ok now to reboot (after I save this html in case DisplayCal shuts down it’s forum or it gets corrupt (backups are everything).

I will report back tomorrow morning after some sleep and opening up display Cal again while connected to my 702 OLED. Fingers crossed!

p.s. yes indeedy of course I’ve had to go into the privacy/security multiple times to give permissions to other apps I didn’t get from the ‘app store’ (I’m not a fan of the mac apps store’).

Oh, and I forgot (when mentioning what cameras in the field) about Red: Komodo, Epic, Gemini

cheers,

Mahalo Nui Loa (thankyou very much 🙂

Samantha

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Samiamfoto.

Robb Harriss
    Participant

You’ll be able to tell immediately after the reboot. See if Display Cal starts normally and then begin a test calibration on nothing while the puck is plugged in. With luck there will be no error and you can stop right there and setup for a real calibration test.

I’d use it to set the brightness level and try to center the white point. We can talk about the standard ways of calibrating field monitors. But it’s all rather speculative since you’re feeling different LUTs based on camera and the look. And often you’re looking at a 709 color space under non-optimal conditions. For me it’s all about getting into the zone for later correction and then grading.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS