-d parameter 1 out of range (Mac M1)

Home Forums Help and Support -d parameter 1 out of range (Mac M1)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Johan Windh
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to calibrate my ASUS PA329 on my Mac Studio (M1 Max). MacOS 12.3.1.

I select Resolve as the Display and enter the adress from Resolve. When I click Calibrate & Profile I get this message:

Diagnostic: -d parameter 1 out of range

Any ideas on how to get this to work?

/Johan

Robb Harriss
    Participant

I have the same error, but I’m on the last (2020) iMac. And I’m connecting to an external monitor with an Ultrastudio mini monitor.

Vincent
    Participant

Use latest Argyll (2.3.1)… common question if you had search in this forum.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

Hello, Vincent, you stated ‘common question if you had search in this forum. ” but actually there is still NO answer for this isue.

1. What is Argyll?  is that a software? If so where may I find it? I do not see it coming up as a download as an installable software for my Mac M1 Max (or any Mac).
    2. I downloaded the only thing I codl find and yet that is a series of folders and files with no installer. Where do I find the installer for this software? Is it a stand alone software I install outside of Display Cal? Is is part of Display cal? how does this work? I have been working on this for a week and still can not figure this out. I’m trying to calibrate several monitors and do so using my i One Display Pro with my Eizo no problem, but the monitor is always ocnnected to my computer, it’s not a stand alone field or production monitor. I’m trying ot calibrate my production monitors specifically Small HD (also Feelword, panasonic and Sony). How do I do this or at least do you hav any iea where do I tur to find help.

Warm Regards,

Samantha

Vincent
    Participant

Hello, Vincent, you stated ‘common question if you had search in this forum. ” but actually there is still NO answer for this isue.

1. What is Argyll?  is that a software? If so where may I find it? I do not see it coming up as a download as an installable software for my Mac M1 Max (or any Mac).

DisplayCAL is just an user interface. Measurement and calibration computations are done by a set of aplications called ArgyllCMS.
    When DIsplayCAL was regulary updated you auto downloaded Argyll on DisplayCAL 1st run. Now it is stalled at 2.1.2 AFAIK, so you have to manually downdload newer ArgyllCMS versions which seems to support M1 via Rosetta.

https://www.argyllcms.com/

We could do things & measure with ArgyllCMS and commandline without DIsplayCAL but we cannot use Displaycal without argyll.

It is common knowledge for everybody but it seems that this app hierarchy was lost for newbies in calibration. IDNK how.

ArgyllCMS is the base for everything you can do with these GNU calibration tools.

1. I downloaded the only thing I codl find and yet that is a series of folders and files with no installer. Where do I find the installer for this software? Is it a stand alone software I install outside of Display Cal? Is is part of Display cal? how does this work?

It it a set of standaplone apps. DIsplayCAL just need to know where they are, File/Archive => locate argyllcms executables, put the Argyllcms “bin” folder, full path.

1. I have been working on this for a week and still can not figure this out. I’m trying to calibrate several monitors and do so using my i One Display Pro with my Eizo no problem, but the monitor is always ocnnected to my computer, it’s not a stand alone field or production monitor. I’m trying ot calibrate my production monitors specifically Small HD (also Feelword, panasonic and Sony). How do I do this or at least do you hav any iea where do I tur to find help.

If that field production monitors are not connected to a common computer GPU you cannot use all the ICC stuff or GPU grey calibration. You’ll have to rely on OSD controls and/or HW calibration capabilities or an external LUTbox.

If you want to use OSD controls to get the cloest you cant to target white gamma and content Rec709 primaries using GNU software the easiest way is to use HCFR (Displaycal “cousin”) on a Windows laptop and a raspberry pi as pattern generator (AVS forum thread). Even an old B model should run for Rec709 test.
    HCFR is like a “calman” software. Measure primaries & white, correct, measure again…
    You can use ArgyllCMS too on command line and a set of pregenerated Rec709 RGBCMY patches at several saturation values, but it is more difficult.

If you want to use HW cal capabilities (if any) you have tu use vendor software (if any) or paid 3rd party tool

If you want to use an external hardware like a LUTBOX you can use DisplayCAL to compute the LUT3D stored in it, but since it requires an accurate display description (ICC profile) you need to plug that field monitor to a computer and be careful about GPU working in the same signal range as the HW you use on field.

Also you can do the same on OSD but connected to a computer and using DIsplayCAL but you need to be careful about GPU working in the same signal range as the HW you use on field. That why a raspi is recommended as pattern generator, specially for mac users where you have little control (as a newbie non techie user) to signal format outputed to HDMI output. In windows that configuration is on a combobox for desktop computer with a desktop AMD/nvidia card so it’s easier to “try to get the same signal you will plug in field sceneario”.
    DisplayCAL does not support raspi pattern generator at this point… hence you’ll have to use a computer GPU and if you do not match the signal type a& range that field monitor is going to receive you can have issues. That’s the reson why people use patern generators…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Vincent.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

Thankyou Vincent. if you have time, see below:

“It is common knowledge for everybody but it seems that this app hierarchy was lost for newbies in calibration. IDNK how.”

• it wouldn’t be common knowledge for someone like me who has been monitor calibrating since 1999 for still photography. We would use something like a Spider or eye One device (aka ‘puck’) and that device’s software such as I One Profiler or color navigator (or internal puck and software to Eizo monitor NEC or another similar monitor). These monitors are always connected to the computer since that is how we work with still photography (Capture One or PHoto shop software etc) running an external monitor as your main (or secondary) and the laptop, iMac or if using windows other screen is the main. Whichever screen/s is internal (laptop/iMac) would be calibrated through the same software (Eye I Profiler etc) and ‘puck’ with a few different setting but the exact same process. the ICC is saved tot he computer since either the internal or external monitor calibration woudl be for that specific computer/device. Once an external monitor woudl be used with another computer the calibration process woudl need to be done again, since the profiel is not saved on the monitor but on the computer and relationship between that computer and monitor.
    • In the case of ‘video’ it’s been completely different. As I’m sending a signal either direct from camera, or from a wireless (teradek or similar) device and that process would then need to be saved int he monitor itself. Still photography monitors do not do this (that I’m aware of though there may be some exceptions such as higher-end Eizo-neither of my Eios are capable of this).
    • I am using SMall HD and feel world monitors primarily but often use Panasonic, Tv Logic and Sony monitors for which Iw oudl like to calibrate.
    • I am not a computer programmer (Sadly) so I know nothing of what would be standard in that world
    • I do not know how to install software on my M1 Max (apple) computer without using a DMG package (installer). So, How do I install the ArgyllCMS? I haven’t found a DMG (installer package). I’ve only found a foler which has files in it I have no idea what to do with. I havne’t found instructions on how to install the ArgyllCMS software onto me apple computer. If you have any direction on where I may find this how I may do this it is greatly appreciated. And if you are not able to share that info I still thankyou for your time and patience 🙂
    • I do not know what acronyms (and terms) mean:  OSD controls; GNU software; LUTBOX (I’m assuming a folder with 3D luts??); AMD/nvidia card ; patern generators

Samiamfoto
    Participant

What does this mean? :  …”File/Archive => locate argyllcms executables, put the Argyllcms “bin” folder, full path.”

Samiamfoto
    Participant

I can not use an ‘.exe’ as I am on an apple computer (M1 MAx) not windows. As far as I know, mac used DMG files not EXE

Vincent
    Participant

I’m afraid you lack the minimum computer knowledge to use most of these tools, but…let’s try:

OSD is on screen display: Display has (should have if we exclude all in one packs like imacs) a set of physical buttons that give you access to RGB gain (for white point), RGBCMY saturation controls (for P3-like displays to emulate Rec709), a set of gamma presets and in most TVs a set of 10 or 20point RGB gains for 10-20 points in greyscale so you can correct grey color tint & gamma in a manual way. Check your SmallHD user manual, if it has such things they would be explained there. Each display model will have different OSD options.
    This way when you cannot plug display to a computer, use ICC, use grey xcalibration from ICC in GPU… etc you can have a “minimum” calibration tunned inside monitor: white point, gamma/grey neutrality and RGB primaries

Hence if you SmallHD has no hardware calibration, cannot be plugged into a computer in field work and do not own a lutbox fro external LUT3D calibration… using OSD is your ONLY choice. Tune display the best you can using OSD controls.
    To help ypu in this task you can use windows appication HCFR (Check AVSforum, there is a thread with arthur lieberman’s fork) which is free and embeds ArgyllCMS code for measurement. Or you can pay Calman of similar software to do the same AND with some displays it can store/wriite HW calibrations. Of course an Studio or Ultimate Calman license will cost as much as an Eizo Coloredge… so IMHO using a raspberry pi as pattern generator with a windows laptop will be teh sensible choice, at least as an staring point since HCFR is free and you’ll need a pattern generator (like a rasp pi) for Calman too. In AVSForum there are a set of ISO file s to provide raspi an OS for pattern generor purposes. V1.21 for older raspis, v1.3+ for newer raspis.

Regarding DIsplaycal, as as said before is just a facade, a graphical user interface, ArgyllCMS does the measuring & calibration job. There is no DMG, just a zip file. Uncompress the ZIP file in some folder of your choosing. Then in DIsplaycal in file menu, click in locate argyll executables and provide it the full path of the “Bin” unzipped folder. If you cannot do this simple task you’ll need to go to a computer store and paid for someone to do it.

As I said before DisplayCAL auto downloads latest argyll but since it had no updates fro a time, it is still donwloading old argyllcms v2.1.2. You need to manually update to newer 2.3.1.
    HCFR has argyllCMS code embeded so no need to download or update it.

If you have no pattern generator for Small HD, or cannot try to emulate signal format in your computer to plug SmallHD to it and try to simulate work as if it were connecte to your production field HW (since you have a mac) and/or you lack of basic computer knowledge to try to do these things… maybe the best choice is to pay a calibratior to tune your field displays (the ones that you do not plug into a computer).

Samiamfoto
    Participant

HCFR (has argyllCMS code embeded) is for windowns only though yes? I do not hvae access to a windows machine, only MacBook Pro M1 Max (atm)

I followed step by step instructions to use the terminal (within Mac iOS 12.3) to ‘download’ argyllCMS. see (if interested) below (then my humble comments after:

==> Installing dependencies for argyll-cms: jpeg, libpng, jpeg-turbo and libtiff

==> Installing argyll-cms dependency: jpeg

==> Pouring jpeg–9e.arm64_monterey.bottle.tar.gz

????  /opt/homebrew/Cellar/jpeg/9e: 21 files, 904.3KB

==> Installing argyll-cms dependency: libpng

==> Pouring libpng–1.6.38.arm64_monterey.bottle.tar.gz

????  /opt/homebrew/Cellar/libpng/1.6.38: 27 files, 1.3MB

==> Installing argyll-cms dependency: jpeg-turbo

==> Pouring jpeg-turbo–2.1.4.arm64_monterey.bottle.tar.gz

????  /opt/homebrew/Cellar/jpeg-turbo/2.1.4: 44 files, 2.5MB

==> Installing argyll-cms dependency: libtiff

==> Pouring libtiff–4.4.0_1.arm64_monterey.bottle.tar.gz

????  /opt/homebrew/Cellar/libtiff/4.4.0_1: 249 files, 4.8MB

==> Installing argyll-cms

==> Pouring argyll-cms–2.3.1.arm64_monterey.bottle.tar.gz

????  /opt/homebrew/Cellar/argyll-cms/2.3.1: 352 files, 116.7MB

==> Running brew cleanup argyll-cms

Disable this behaviour by setting HOMEBREW_NO_INSTALL_CLEANUP.

Hide these hints with HOMEBREW_NO_ENV_HINTS (see man brew).

samanthaisom@Samanthas-MBP ~ %

(End of terminal remarks)

I am not a computer programmer. I am an on set Digital tech for still photography (21 years) and for the last bunch of those have also been shooting ‘video’ and neeeding to manage my own color on external (production) monitors. I am very used to calibrating Eizos, NEC etc using ione software but again weboth knwo that is very different fro what I’m trying to do here. I just used to my monitors matching and it’s driving me nuts to be be able to do that with the other monitors I encounter which don’t always mean my own (I own two small hd’s but often have to use other folks units especially when gong out as an AC – 1st assistant camera). They aren’t hiring DITs for these shoots and they expect me to be the DIT. So here I am needing to make sense of these screens.

If this were a ‘simple taks’ then that would mean everyone is basically a computer programmer on some level knowing or understanding basic code. most people do not know this, that’s like saying a simple task is flying a commercial airliner.  Sure, if you have a pilots’ license and work for United, but if not then on it is not a simple and ordinary task for anyone outside of having a speciaty (and lots of experience) in flying.  Simple task is downloading a DMG and clicking install then running the software. That stated, yes Calman sounds like what I might need. I will look into that if I can afford it. So far I saw other pucks for $6k which Id don’t make in one or even two months sometimes, so I can’t go that route. if Calman cases as much as one of my Eizos, then I’ll have to wait a while before going that route. This brings me back to square one, which is what the folks at Small HD home base keep telling me I should do, using Display Cal (though they had no mention of Argyll CMS). Does this work on a Mac? or is it windows only? i’m asking because the references above appear to be specific for windows and not apple iOS. thankyou for real 🙂 for all of your time I really do (and have) appreciate(d) it.

p.s. after running the ‘install’ via terminal I”m still getting the same error. I did go into ‘file’ and locate the argryll executables but for osme reason still getting this same error: Diagnostic D parameter 1 out of range. Mind you I am running davinci resolve in the background and have that connected to Display Cal. It’s Davinci 17. If it is still that ARgyll is still too old even after the terminal install then wehere might I find the latest version to install that via terminal?

I am primarily a photographer, DP (commercial jobs not so much narrative though sometimes on smaller progjects), Camera operator. I also go out as a 1st AC, lighting design (stills and motion) and digital tech for still photography. When a LOT of these commercial jobs hire ACs they are expecting us to also be the media manager (not DIT). In being a media manager they still look at me as if I”m a full blown DIT and wonder why the monitors don’t match..expeciting me to fix them (for a non DIT rate) also they expect me to (at times) transcode (again, a DITs job which tey aren’t paying a media manager to do. it is becoming mroe common though and for me to be able to ask fro more money that they should be paying one of things I woudl like to do is have my monitors match. at least my own if not the rentals as well.

I have a small hd 502 and a 702 OLED. often using rentals small hd 1303, 1702, 1703 , Panasonic (no idea the models), TV logic and Sony (don’t know the models). on the Small HDs there are ‘some’ extremely limited RBG controls but nothing really that detailed. I”ve ben doing that for a few years now but nothign seems to get to where it needs ot be by doing this manually, hence, I”m tryna do it through my ocmputer which I 100% always have on set. (pardon typos)

Thankyou for your time and I won’t bother you any more I know it’s time consuming.

many thanks

cheers,

Samantha

T

cheers,

Samantha

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Samiamfoto.

Robb Harriss
    Participant

Samantha,

what video cameras are you using?

Vincent
    Participant

You did all wrong. Just download ArgyllCMS, unzip, use it. That’s all.

https://www.argyllcms.com/

->

“Download V2.3.1 Main Apple OS X executables”

->

https://www.argyllcms.com/downloadmac.html

->

“Intel OS X 10.6 64 bit or later” (it should  run through Rosetta on M1 like all the other unported apps)

->

https://www.argyllcms.com/Argyll_V2.3.1_osx10.6_x86_64_bin.tgz

Unzip te TGZ file. Tell DisplayCAL where the “bin” unzipped folder is, do it though DisplayCAL menu: “file” , “locate argyllcms executables”.

If you cannot do these simple tasks, hire a calibrator.

Regarding HCFR for tweaking field monitor OSD settings with a pattern generator, yes AFAIK it’s windows only, at least the latest versions. Also you’ll need a pattern generator (with Calman too).
    If you want to tweak field monitor OSD settings using DisplayCAL or ArgyllCMS through command line … it looks far beyond your current capabilities because when pluggin SmallHD display (or any other display that is not going to be used plugged to a computer) you’ll have to setup your mac laptop output to match exactly the same signal format as the devices where you are going to plug those displays… and a mac is not an easy option for that.

Samiamfoto
    Participant

@Vincent,……“and a mac is not an easy option for that.”.…. This is what I was thinking, that apple (typical) doesn’t really work with what I’m tryna do here (and for a lot of things sadly). I’m an avid Android user, yet at least for stills I’ll get laughed off the set and not hired if I show up with a windows machine (at least in the NYC, Miami and LA commercial photography markets). I think it’s different for motion. Saving up to buy a 2nd computer (Windows) so I can actually do things I need to do and still get hired (by having a mac visible on set – and using windows also when I need it).

I did download from the site and place the folder in my applications (folder), then I told Display cal where that was. I didn’t yet unzip (that last task you. mentioned) one of the bin’s though so I’ll try that now thankyou.

cheers,

Samantha

Samiamfoto
    Participant

Ok here we go. I did this task you (Vincent) mentioned above LONG BEFORE ever even typing here on this forum. it doesn’t didn’t work which si why I jumped on this forum in the first place.

I’ve downloaded Argyl_V2.3_ tgz and my mas automatically unzipped it upon download. I put that folder “Argyll_V2.3.1” in the application folder, then told display cal (using the file menu) where to locate it. Still getting the exact same error. I did all that long before ever typing here (long before any of our previous chats).

What is Rosetta? “Intel OS X 10.6 64 bit or later” (it should  run through Rosetta on M1 like all the other unported apps)

cheers,

Sam

Robb Harriss
    Participant

It’s a mac permissions problem.
    I wrote a description and remedy earlier. We’re you able to see that?
    I also asked what cemeras you were using in the field.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS