2x LG31MU97 & Davinci Resolve

Home Forums Help and Support 2x LG31MU97 & Davinci Resolve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Grzegorz Najder
    Participant

At first I would like to say hello. My name is Greg. I’m working with Davinci Resolve. I changed my setup for 2 LG 3197MU before will buy one from FSI. I’m trying to calibrate my monitors already 2 days and cant get any satisfying results. One of LG is connected with hdmi through Declink 4k mini monitor from Black magic and the second one is GUI display connected to GPU Nvidia Titan X. I cant get even close with these two. Declink looks a bit green and warm and Gui looks to contrasty. On the beginning I was fighting with washed out colors and I changed data level from auto to 16-235 and that helped, so for those who uses HDMI and deckling I think it’s good choice. But now I cant achieve color consistency. I checked on few other displays and my deckling monitor don’t match, but now I dont know what is proper look as I saw to many monitors last 2 days. I understand the process when I want to calibrate GUI monitor with resolve, but can’t I just calibrate it on OS level to achieve the same look as on the Decklink monitor, or I need use LUT for Davinci to match those two. I allready did aroud 30 calibrations Last 2 days and I feel so confused now. I will apriecciate any help.

Edit: What preset should I use to just calibrate to rec709 on OS level?

Thank you

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I cant get even close with these two. Declink looks a bit green and warm and Gui looks to contrasty.

That’s pretty vague. You should run a measurement report and look at the actual measurements.

Edit: What preset should I use to just calibrate to rec709 on OS level?

You don’t need to – the respective source profile determines the colorspace and tone response in ICC color managed applications. Note that Resolve does not do proper ICC color management, so 3D LUTs are the only real option for accurate color in Resolve.

Grzegorz Najder
    Participant

Thanks Florian

So which test should I run? In the verification tab “measurement report” button is greyed out. I made second calibration and it’s better now i have chosen temp manually to 6500 K. But when i look for example on my ipad image looks much less warm.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So which test should I run? In the verification tab “measurement report” button is greyed out.

Show your verification settings please.

I made second calibration and it’s better now i have chosen temp manually to 6500 K. But when i look for example on my ipad image looks much less warm.

That’s pretty much expected. Depending on the iPad you own, it’s native white is probably closer to a CCT of around 7000K.

Grzegorz Najder
    Participant

I understand now that I need to choose settings, what I did and button is active now, but I can’t measure now as I was forced to give back the probe. I will come back on monday (I bought xrite for myself).

I will try to investigate user manual deeper over the weekend.

Thank you Florian

Grzegorz Najder
    Participant

I recieved my probe. Calibrated my resolve display and made verification test – result attached. Now I’m trying to calibrate my GUI monitor, but I’m a bit confused about the “iterative gray balance calibration”. What function is that and how can I enable it? coz I can’t find it on any tab? Also when Im trying to go to 3D LUT tab im getting error and program hangs. It happens after choosing my monitor and seting up tone curve to Rec. 1886.

Thanks for help

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Also when Im trying to go to 3D LUT tab im getting error and program hangs.

That’s not a program error – the file probably simply does not exist.

Grzegorz Najder
    Participant

So what should I do? Do I have to I download it somewhere ? Sorry for stupid questions but there is no any information about it in the manual.

Thanks

Grzegorz Najder
    Participant

This is my GUI report. Looks really bad 🙁

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So what should I do? Do I have to I download it somewhere ?

No, that file was probably a left-over from some other program, it’s not part of anything related to DisplayCAL – just don’t use that file and you’ll be fine.

This is my GUI report. Looks really bad

It looks a bit like the display was profiled in wide-gamut mode, but then switched to standard gamut for verification. Can you verify that your display settings are the same as when the profile was created?

Grzegorz Najder
    Participant

Thanks for youf answer Florian. I understand that “iterative gray balance calibration” is just setting up Tone curve in Calibration tab to rec 1886. Right?

I veryfied GUI just after calibration and profiling seems ok(results attached). I understand that I should load the lut that was generated during profiling to 3D Color Viewer Lookup Table? I also attaching my Davinci, decklink, 4K monitor results. I still can see the difference. Not great but noticable. Decklink looks more crisp and contrasty comparing to GUI. As I said before I used TV RGB 16-235 Data level on my HDMI decklin monitor and for GUI conected with Display port I used Auto. Is that correct?

I’m using i1 Display Pro and I enabled White and Black level drift compensation. Is that fine?

I noticed that Gamma curve in the both results oscilates around 2.2, but I was expecting to get 2.4. Why is that?

Thanks so much for our help!

Attachments:

i1Display Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks for youf answer Florian. I understand that “iterative gray balance calibration” is just setting up Tone curve in Calibration tab to rec 1886. Right?

Yes.

I veryfied GUI just after calibration and profiling seems ok(results attached)

That’s the file “Measurement-Report-3.3.1-—[email protected]×2160-—-2017-06-05-21-02.html”, right? Indeed, looks absolutely fine from the measurements.

I understand that I should load the lut that was generated during profiling to 3D Color Viewer Lookup Table?

That should be correct.

I also attaching my Davinci, decklink, 4K monitor results. I still can see the difference. Not great but noticable. Decklink looks more crisp and contrasty comparing to GUI. As I said before I used TV RGB 16-235 Data level on my HDMI decklin monitor and for GUI conected with Display port I used Auto. Is that correct?

I don’t think the levels on the decklink are correct. Black level is double that of the GUI monitor, a quite obvious way to tell that black level has been lifted, possibly due to incorrect levels. I would re-profile the decklink with levels set to “Auto” as well.

I’m using i1 Display Pro and I enabled White and Black level drift compensation. Is that fine?

Black level drift compensation is not needed for colorimeters. White level drift is only needed if the display’s light output isn’t stable (i.e. OLED, Plasma).

I noticed that Gamma curve in the both results oscilates around 2.2, but iI was expecting to get 2.4. Why is that?

Because BT.1886 is not a pure power curve, it is dependent on the display’s black level.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Btw, when re-profiling through the decklink, make sure to adjust the display to the same brightness as the other one during interactive adjustment.

Grzegorz Najder
    Participant

Thanks Florian!

When I’m profiling decklink with Data Level set to auto I get washed out colors 🙁

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When I’m profiling decklink with Data Level set to auto I get washed out colors

That doesn’t make sense. Currently, the black floor of the decklink connected display is significantly higher than the GUI display, and this should be immediately noticeable in dark footage with the 3D LUT applied. The gamma is also overall lower, which is expected due to the way BT.1886 works and the higher black floor, so overall the look should be flatter, not contrastier, than the GUI display, and the measurements clearly show this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS