Madvr settings

Home Forums Help and Support Madvr settings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

From the default 3dlut rec709 settings.

Under the Calibration tab, the tone curve default is set to “As measured”

Is there a specific reason for this ?  As in, does the 3DLut generated later take care of all tone adjustment,  Such that this tone curve  portion of the calibration is unnecessary ?

Also, the output level setting from the “Display and Instrument” tab is removed under the default madvr 3dlut setting,   is it 0-255 or 16-235?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there a specific reason for this ? As in, does the 3DLut generated later take care of all tone adjustment, Such that this tone curve portion of the calibration is unnecessary ?

Correct, the 3D LUT does take care of everything (thus the separate tone curve choice on the 3D LUT tab), so time spent creating 1D LUT calibration would essentially be wasted. The only reason to enable 1D LUT calibration is if you also want to install the resulting profile, and have non-color-managed apps benefit from at least having neutral grays and following the chosen tone response. For madVR, it’s not relevant.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Hi Florian,

My Displaycal on my laptop is totally screwed up.

It just hangs now whenever I try to run madvr calibration through madtpg. Then when I tried to close, it won’t even close.

Not sure if it’s something wrong with argyl or dispcal.

Where are the argyl and dispcal settings and caches saved, I’d like to delete everything and start fresh..

are there any reg values to delete etc ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It just hangs now whenever I try to run madvr calibration through madtpg. Then when I tried to close, it won’t even close.

Try re-installing madVR (first uninstall, then install).

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Thx florian, that fixed it.

I’ve got an old tv here, trying to understand how to work the RGB Cut-off controls ..

View post on imgur.com

Looking at this rgb grey balance graph,   Could you pencil in how the curve should look ?

Am I trying to line up that little rgb inflection point at 7% ,  or somewhere around 20%

This is on the srgb 2.1 simulation profile measurement..

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Also, is there a test pattern in displaycal which could be adhoc-ed similarly to the dynamic range clipping test like in spectral cal..

Florian Höch
    Administrator

RGB gray balance in the report is just informational. Look at the delta E for grayscale in the overview.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

In Madvr

If I want to use the Tone map HDR      Output as HDR functions

THEN apply an HDR   3DLUT to that

What settings do I use for this ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please be more specific. Do you want to use madVR’s “HDR to SDR” pixel shader?

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Perhaps I misunderstand how the pixel shader works.

The madvr   tonemap HDR using pixel shaders section,  has a tick box for “Output video in HDR format”

By using this function is the output no longer HDR ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I would assume the opposite.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

I would assume the opposite.

Well,  right’o then,  what I want is to use the tone map,  output hdr,  then use a 3DLut

How do I configure Dispcal to rig up the proper HDR  profile

Florian Höch
    Administrator
    1. Select the “Video 3D LUT for madVR (HDR)” preset under “Settings”.
    2. Enable white level drift and if you’re using an LG OLED, enable full field pattern insertion.
    3. On the 3D LUT tab, set source colorspace to BT.2020 and tone curve to “SMPTE 2084 (hard clip)”. Enter the target peak luminance (must match target peak in madVR). Leave mastering display black at 0. Black output offset is up to user preference, leave at 0 for a BT.1886 like effect.
    4. In madTPG, use the smallest possible image area (that can still fit the instrument sensor) using the slider and use a black background, as well as enable the HDR button.

Display stability can be an issue on HDR displays. It may even make profiling in HDR mode impossible. Keep that in mind.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant
    1. Select the “Video 3D LUT for madVR (HDR)” preset under “Settings”.
    2. Enable white level drift and if you’re using an LG OLED, enable full field pattern insertion.
    3. On the 3D LUT tab, set source colorspace to BT.2020 and tone curve to “SMPTE 2084 (hard clip)”. Enter the target peak luminance (must match target peak in madVR). Leave mastering display black at 0. Black output offset is up to user preference, leave at 0 for a BT.1886 like effect.
    4. In madTPG, use the smallest possible image area (that can still fit the instrument sensor) using the slider and use a black background, as well as enable the HDR button.

Display stability can be an issue on HDR displays. It may even make profiling in HDR mode impossible. Keep that in mind.

And this LUT will go in the  Calibrations tab,  instead of the HDR tab correct ?, because the HDR tab in madvr will be on the tone map using shader ?

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

I followed the instructions ,  and the 3dlut created will not go into the Calibrations tab of madvr,  it will only go into the tonemap using external 3dlut tab.

How do I use the tonemap using shader,    then apply a 3dlut to it  after the shader does its thing.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS