.ICM Color Profile is not applied to all Apps in Win 10

Home Forums Help and Support .ICM Color Profile is not applied to all Apps in Win 10

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jan17
    Participant

Hello there,

profile creation with dispcal worked, however the created .icm profile is not applied to all apps consistently.
    the taskbar and windows and background image and what else you see on screen are displayed in the correct color profile. however in windows photos, or affnity, or darktable the photos look totally out of place (see screenshot)

i went on a quest to fix this and my result for the moment is, that not all apps apply .icm profiles. i read its way worse in win 11 and eizo is recommending to stick with win10. my idea to solve this would be to go around windows color profiles leaving them default and creating an app that directly manipulates the outputted pixels – like powerstrip does. the user could reset its graphic settings to default, calibrate and then load the created profile into the powerstriplike app with applies the curves on the outputted pixels – which then would also automatically be applied to games, video overlay etc. just everything on the screen – maybe an idea.

anyway – these are my thoughts so far…

please look at the screenshot to see what i mean: the picture in photos is yellow/greenish while the windows – background picture looks fine – but the pictures are exactly the same file.

what do you think đŸ™‚ ?

setup:
    thinkpad x1 yoga gen3 2560×1440 oled, intel i7 7600u – HD620 graphics, win10 21H1 build 19043.1415

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by jan17.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

“.ICM Color Profile is not applied to all Apps in Win 10”

Yes it is expected and it’s OK. Use apps that are (properly) color managed: adobe suite, some browsers, CaptureOne, Canikon raw editors, DXO…even GIMP.

If you wish that all apps work as in a sRGB monitor use DMWLUT, but that way (as long as app is active) phot editors will be limited to srGB too (also you must set as display profile the target you are simulating)

Also lost of OLED displays have some kind of ABL which is a PITA and as general recomendation should be avoided for any serious color work past ABL threshold. LOw quality ones cannot be modeled by a simple matrix profile which makes things worse, but YMMV depending on model.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS