Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Home Forums Help and Support Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Florian Höch
    Administrator

how to apply the LUT profile to Photoshop?

Just install it normally and restart Photoshop.

maillot
    Participant

I’m confused :s  Why shouldn’t I use ambient light compensation?  This is the first time I decided to use it and the gamma is much better!  Images and video look much better now, better perspective and depth perception.  I don’t think this is just my imagination.  Please explain this more to me.  Is there a link?

I definitely have black crush problem with this profile, but I think the problem may be bigger.  Does this bug make some dark black shades turn different colours too?  Example: I play a 3d game using openGL and after I installed 10.13.6 the darkest corners where there is almost no lighting suddenly turned into light blue colour.  If I changed to the Apple profile the problem went away mostly, but there was still a small bit of blue in very dark corners.

I see the same problem when seeing video in VLC and DVD Player, the crush is there and the colours around the crush are banded.  I see this with skin a lot, the skin detail and colour will be perfect if it is bright, and then there will be brown banding when it gets darker with almost no detail and then black crush where there is no detail at all.

I think I will post photos of the problem, because I think it is different to the problem described by this bug, but very similar.  Perhaps I have two bugs and they both affect Color Profiles?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m confused :s Why shouldn’t I use ambient light compensation?

It’s a very specific option made for very specific needs, and will only affect non-color-maged applications (granted, that are most applications under Windows). Unless you completely understand what it is and what it does (the documentation may provide some pointers), and are sure that you actually need it, you should stay clear of most of the advanced options.

Does this bug make some dark black shades turn different colours too? Example: I play a 3d game using openGL and after I installed 10.13.6 the darkest corners where there is almost no lighting suddenly turned into light blue colour. If I changed to the Apple profile the problem went away mostly, but there was still a small bit of blue in very dark corners.

That doesn’t sound related, and is probably some kind of OpenGL rendering bug, or graphics driver bug (some people have reported weird rendering issues with “hybrid” graphics chipsets under macOS).

I think I will post photos of the problem, because I think it is different to the problem described by this bug, but very similar. Perhaps I have two bugs and they both affect Color Profiles?

That may be the case. Please open a different thread for this.

DCfan
    Participant

Hi all, thanks for your information on this thread, which explains the crushed blacks issue when using Apple’s Preview app.

I am hoping to get a couple of additional clarifications:

1. Why does changing Profile Type to Single curve + matrix make a difference? Is this the same type of profile that i1Profiler uses? I have not experienced crushed shadows issue before with profiles generated by i1Profiler.

2. On Profiling tab, I do not see the “Patch amount slider” that is mentioned here. I only see Profile quality slider. Has the name been changed to Profile quality on 3.7.2?

3. I stopped using i1Profiler because of more accurate profiles generated by DisplayCal ???? but does switching to Single curve + matrix mean a step down in terms of accuracy? If yes, is it significant? I only use Photoshop and Lightroom by the way.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by DCfan.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

1. Why does changing Profile Type to Single curve + matrix make a difference?

As to why, that question is for Apple to answer.

Is this the same type of profile that i1Profiler uses?

Single curve + matrix is the profile type that basically any display profiling app uses by default.

On Profiling tab, I do not see the “Patch amount slider” that is mentioned here.

You have to set testchart to “auto” first.

does switching to Single curve + matrix mean a step down in terms of accuracy? If yes, is it significant?

Yes, but on newer Apple displays (i.e. any iMac/MacBook with IPS panel) and most better computer monitors with good linearity, it’s probably not significant.

I only use Photoshop and Lightroom by the way.

If that is the case, and you don’t care about macOS Preview/QuickLook, feel free to use an XYZ LUT profile instead (set patches to 175).

DCfan
    Participant

Florian, thanks very much for answering my questions.

Now only one question left, what is the test chart to use for Verification of:

a) single curve + matrix
    b) XYZ LUT + matrix (patch 175)

My applications are mainly Lightroom and Photoshop on OSX.

Thanks in advance

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Doesn’t depend on the profile type. If unsure, use the default “extended verification testchart” for a quick check.

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS