Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Home Forums Help and Support Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author

PeterS
    Participant

i submitted it as a bug as well…

James
    Participant

Thanks for the workaround.  Obviously not ideal, but working well for me on several systems now.  Will file a bug report as well.

tarna
    Participant

Guys, any news on this important problem?

It is impossible to calibrate a Mac system on any device with DisplayCal. On Windows 10 no problem at all. On MacOs ugly crushed blacks and dark hues in Preview, and also in Adobe Lightroom Develop mode!! (in the Library modul no problem, interesting) The strange thing is, that if I switch off to use  vga support (in LR), the problem’s gone… Wtf..?

The same problem with basICColor software, but no problem with i1Profiler, the offical software for i1Display Pro (I have this device)! Why is that??   Any idea?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

James
    Participant

No news from Apple that I’ve seen, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.  This bug has been around  a while.   Certain profile types just seem to have issues in some situations.   There is a workaround using “1xCurve+Matrix profile with black point compensation” described on a previous post:

Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Arvids Baranovs
    Participant

The workaround does work (by re-creating profiles), but I guess it creates a less precise profile. Well, at least my images exported from Lightroom look the same in Quicklook and Preview now. Following this thread in case there are any updates in the future.

Iwona
    Participant

Hi tarna! How do you turn off vga support in LR ? I use LR 5 and don’t see such option. I am working on finding a solution for the blacks to stop crushing in the develop module.  For ‘Preview’ the workaround has worked , but not for LR develop module. Thanks!

Hugh
    Participant

Running into the same problem. Wanted to let everyone know that the workaround works as described. Previewing the image will look the same. However, if you email or text the image, it will be readjusted incorrectly. Thanks Apple…

woaha
    Participant

To everyone who hasn’t done it yet : please file a bug report on http://bugreport.apple.com/ it’s pretty straightforward if you follow the instructions. It’s very important for everyone to do that as it is the only way we can be heard by Apple. Thank you !

maillot
    Participant

Hi.

Can someone tell me if this is still a problem on Mojave?  I am only using macOS 10.13.6 just now, but if the problem is gone in Mojave then I will upgrade soon.

I also wanted to say that if you are stuck with High Sierra because your Mac doesn’t support Mojave, then perhaps you should try to downgrade or install only up to 10.13.2.  I was using 10.13.2 a long time and the problem didn’t get really bad for me until 10.13.6.  Now it is terrible and is affecting VLC, DVD Player, QuickTime Player, Preview and Quick Look.  On 10.13.2 I only had problem with Quick Look, and only sometimes like when I zoomed.

Thanks!

Florian Uhlemann
    Participant

I’ve had an interesting experience lately. I’m currently still on macOS 10.12.6 (Sierra) and calibrated a new monitor for a review (BenQ GC2780H). With that resulting profile I realized that the issue in Preview was gone, i.e. the colors looked great and there was no “dark” layer on top of the images.

I’ve used DispcalGUI v3.6.1 with ArgyllCMS 2.0.1.

Can anyone else confirm this?

maillot
    Participant

Hi.

I followed the workaround advice posted by Florian on 2017-08-22 at 23:59, and it didn’t work for me.  I tried it both ways, by making a new profile from an old one, and making a new profile from the beginning.

I am sure I chose the right settings: “1xCurve+Matrix profile with black point compensation”, DisplayCAL 3.7.1.1; “calibration tone curve is not set to “As measured” on the “Calibration” tab” (this was a Video Playback profile so tone curve was Rec. 1886); “patch amount slider on the “Profiling” tab all the way to the left.” (this means it was set at Auto-Optimized and had only 34 patches).  I read the post about someone else having a problem with this workaround so I was checking twice before I started the profiler.

I don’t know if it is important, but for the first time I saw an error report during the profiling, when it was showing the patches:

doing iteration 3/4 with 48 sample points and repeat threshold of 0.5656...
    dispcal: inverting Jacobian failed (3) - falling back

It is strange but my freind has an old MacBook Pro but he is running macOS 10.13.6, the same as me.  He used the same settings and now he has a profile that is working for him!  I don’t know why there is a difference between his profile and mine, except he didn’t see the error message I reported up above.

Another strange thing is my computer has Intel and discrete GPU, and the problem looks different if I change the GPU.  The profile is the same, the image is the same and the black crush is the same, but the appearance of the problem is different – like the colours are being produced in a different way.

I am attaching the ICC profile (the new one I created, not the one using information from an old profile) and the screen shot of grayscale image, as requested.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You’re using ambient adjustment. This is not an option that should be used, especially on a Mac, because it will have zero effect other than needlessly reducing effective bitdepth. Your screenshot and profile look fine otherwise.

tarna
    Participant

I work on a macbook 2015, 15″ and on a hackintosh (nvidia gtx 980), both are with High Sierra.

With DisplayCal 3.7…, but with previous versions also I have a working icc profile now, no problem at all on both machines. Especially the new version is okay now.

Yes the only drawback is that on mac only the 1Curve profile works with black point copm. and measured with only 34 patches.  So no LUT profiles unfortunatelly.  Gamma 2.2 or L*, 6500K, 100-200cd – depends on the working circumstances of course. No ambient light measuring, no need!

Dear Florian, any chances for LUT profile on mac? 🙂 What do you think?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by tarna.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Dear Florian, any chances for LUT profile on mac?

You can use LUT profiles on a Mac – with 3rd-party applications like Photoshop, Affinity Photo, Gimp and others that use a proper color engine instead of Apple’s own. But not with Apple Preview and other Apple apps. This is not going to change in my opinion, because Apple doesn’t care. This macOS bug has been around for years now.

tarna
    Participant

I thought so…:-( Could you write it simply, how to apply the LUT profile to Photoshop? I didn’t know this.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS