Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Home Forums Help and Support Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author

SCHLUBUB
    Participant

I just tried out DisplayCAL with my Spyder3Express on my Macbook Pro and noticed the following problem:

Images in Lightroom, Photoshop, even in Quickview (pressing space on a Mac for a quick preview) and Safari look just like the should with the profile I generated with DisplayCAL.

But the Apple Apps “Photos” and “Preview” render the Images significantly darker. It seems, the colormanagement of these 2 apps has a problem with the profile. This very strange, as 2 other Apple-Apps (Safari and Quickview) don’t seem to have any issues with it.

Choosing a profile generated with the Spyder Software solves the problem, but I would prefer to use the DisplayCAL profile. Are there any tweaks in the preferences during profiling, to prevent generating a profile that doesn’t work properly with “Photos” and “Preview”?

I hope someone here knows about this problem and comes with a solution… 🙂

Florian Höch (g+)
    Participant

Are you using El Capitan? This seems to be a known bug in Preview/Photo, see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7291462

SCHLUBUB
    Participant

Yes, I am using El Capitan. What a shame, that Apple is not able to provide the same CMS-Behaviour in all their Software. An app called “Photos” should be able to display them (the photos)  properly, I think…

In the Links you provided someone had a workaround:

“I use EIZO display with its calibration software “ColorNavigator” and calibrated profile. When a profile made with an option, “reflect black level in tone curve” is checked, shadows get too dark. Uncheck the option and re-calibrate (= renew profile) fixed the issue….”

Would checking “Black level drift compensation” in DisplayCAL help in my case, or is this something completely different?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Would checking “Black level drift compensation” in DisplayCAL help in my case

No, that’s an unrelated setting. What you can try is enabling advanced options in the “Options” menu, then enabling “Black point compensation” on the “Profiling” tab, and then using “Create profile from measurement data…” in the “Options” menu to re-create the profile (select the existing one).

SCHLUBUB
    Participant

Unfortunately this did not work. I think I have to use the Profile generated with the spyder-software unless Apple fixes this bug… 🙁

Florian Uhlemann
    Participant

There is a second option that is available, when you enable the “Show Advanced Options” in “Options”. It is called “Black point compensation” and is found under “Profiling”. I will give this another try tonight or tomorrow, but this may actually solve that problem. It describes as “Black point compensation effectively prevents black crush, but reduces the accuracy of color conversion.”

Let me know if this helps!

SCHLUBUB
    Participant

Thanks for your suggestion, but this is exactly what Florian Höch advised me to do and as you can see in my last post, it did not work (unfortunately…) 🙁

FotisK
    Participant

I have it on macOS Sierra, apparently apple doesn’t seem to be interested in fixing it :/ It’s been bothering me for months; Strangely, downloading random display profiles made with other software(?) work just fine. Profiles produced with basICColor also have the same problem though. I’ve submitted a bug report to apple, but I’m not sure what to expect.

Any news regarding this issue?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sorry, I can’t fix bugs in Apple’s software. There are alternative picture viewers though (e.g. XnView MP).

FotisK
    Participant

Thanks Florian; indeed it’s Apple’s responsibility 🙂 However the information is very scarce and I was wondering whether there is some better understanding now of what causes some profiles to fail working and other profiles not to (and maybe if there were some settings one could use with displayCAL that would increase the compatibility)

As a sidenote the bug is more widespread – it’s not only pertaining to the Preview and Quick Look: Apple Photos and even Photoshop are affected by it (the export module renders).

Cheers

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I was wondering whether there is some better understanding now of what causes some profiles to fail working and other profiles not to

I have no additional information. I’ve tried profiles from SpectraView Profiler (re-branded basICColor display) and i1 Profiler which exhibit the same issues. There’s no reliable workaround other than to avoid the affected Apple software.

As a sidenote the bug is more widespread – it’s not only pertaining to the Preview and Quick Look: Apple Photos and even Photoshop are affected by it (the export module renders).

I’m aware that QuickLook and Photos are affected. PhotoShop was working fine for me (which isn’t a surprise since it doesn’t use the Apple CMM, but Adobe’s own CMM), I haven’t checked the export module (do you mean the preview window when exporting a GIF or JPEG for the web? It seems curious that Adobe wouldn’t use the Adobe CMM here as well), but I’m no longer using Photoshop on the Mac (I plan to switch to Affinity Photo which I also use on Windows).

FotisK
    Participant

Thank you Florian for the feedback!

I switched to Affinity Photo (it’s a miracle from the price tag!) a few months ago too! As a coincidence, I’m here writing because of affinity, since I decided to profile my display and at the time of the switch and at first I was blaming Affinity Photo for not doing the color management right until very recently that I installed the PS trial and discovered that AP was perfectly fine; it was the apple products that were acting weird!

As for the Export As…, it is indeed the dialog that one uses to save gif/jpg/png files (even though the old dialog Save for Web… has now been renamed into Save for Web (legacy) and exists alongside the new one). Now that you mentioned that, I checked the Save for Web (legacy) dialog and this one works fine!

At first I felt it was strange that Adobe didn’t color manage the Export As.. preview, but after some digging, seems that Lightroom suffered from the same issues until the added proofing, so it seems that at times Adobe relies on ColorSync too (or maybe did and is slowly phasing it out).

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by FotisK.

woaha
    Participant

Hi everyone. I just used  DisplayCAL for the first time (with a brand new X-Rite Colormunki Display) and the resulting profile is awesome ! It feels like DisplayCAL is much more accurate than X-Rite’s software.

However I am getting similar issues with Preview and QuickLook that don’t display colors correctly.

I filled out a bug report using Apple’s bug reporting tool and even sent them a copy of the profile so they can take a look at it, as well as a link to this forum thread.

However I can’t help but wonder if there could somehow be some sort of easy fix that could be implemented on DisplayCAL’s side as the profiles made using X-Rite’s software don’t exhibit this kind of issue… So if it works with X-Rite’s software, there has to be a way to make DisplayCAL profiles work nicely with Preview and QuickLook which are essential tools on Mac OS… Almost irreplaceable ones.

Thank you Florian Höch for this great software. I hope this can be fixed soon by Apple or that a workaround can be implemented by developers contributing to DisplayCAL or Argyll CMS.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

woaha
    Participant

SCHLUBUB –> You should do the same as FotisK and I did. Report the issue to Apple here : http://bugreport.apple.com It’s the only way to ensure this will be fixed someday.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

the profiles made using X-Rite’s software don’t exhibit this kind of issue… So if it works with X-Rite’s software

Profiles made with i1 Profiler exhibit the same issue. It is not an issue with the profiles or the software that creates them, but with the software that uses them (i.e. Mac OS Preview, Photos and QuickLook).

Report the issue to Apple here : http://bugreport.apple.com

A reasonable course of action.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS