Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Home Forums Help and Support Dark Images in Mac "Photos" & "Preview" with DisplayCAL generated Profile

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Mateus109
    Participant

Any news on this problem?  I’ve submitted the bug to Apple too but doubt it will get a response.  Anyone know why Apple’s profiles work OK but third-party profiles don’t?  I mean, the profile is just a config file, no?

Thanks!

Mateus109
    Participant

Also, does it matter that the Profile First Aid states “Header padding is not null. Found 2 bad profiles” when scanning my two DisplayCal profiles?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Anyone know why Apple’s profiles work OK but third-party profiles don’t?

Profiles based on actual measurements don’t seem to work correctly with Apple software.

I mean, the profile is just a config file, no?

Not quite, it contains characterization data.

Also, does it matter that the Profile First Aid states “Header padding is not null. Found 2 bad profiles” when scanning my two DisplayCal profiles?

No. The ColorSync utility is a bit pedantic and complains about the header ID field which is only specified for ICCv4, but not ICCv2. A correct ICCv2 implementation will ignore the header ID field as per the specification, so this is not a problem.

Mateus109
    Participant

Thanks for the info Florian.  I also came across this thread on Stack Exchange regarding the same problem:  Bug? macOS Sierra Preview/Quick Look issues with rendering colors of images when using any icc profile other than the macOS standard

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Mateus109.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

After looking at various profiles from different sources, there’s a workaround for Apple’s shortcomings: You need to create a 1xCurve+Matrix profile with black point compensation. DisplayCAL version needs to be at least 3.3.2 or newer. In case you’re creating a new profile, just make sure the calibration tone curve is not set to “As measured” on the “Calibration” tab, then move the patch amount slider on the “Profiling” tab all the way to the left. In case you want to create a 1xCurve+Matrix profile from an existing profile, you can do the same, then select “Create profile from measurement data…” in the “File…” menu and select your existing profile, then save the new profile under a different name.

Mateus109
    Participant

Unfortunately this didn’t work for me but I used the ‘Create profile from measurement data’ option rather create a new profile.  If I get time, I’ll create a new profile using your suggestions.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Unfortunately this didn’t work for me

Then you didn’t use the correct settings. Enable advanced options in the “Options” menu and carefully check on the “Profiling” tab: Profile type “Single curve + matrix”, black point compensation enabled. Also, version 3.3.2 or newer is required.

Mateus109
    Participant

Then you didn’t use the correct settings.

See attached screenshot, are this not the correct settings?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

See attached screenshot, are this not the correct settings?

Those are correct. If you still have problems with the re-created profile (after installing it), please attach it alongside a screenshot showing the problem (use the attached synthetic gray gradient for testing).

Attachments:

Mateus109
    Participant

please attach it alongside a screenshot

I think I must be doing something wrong. – may be the recreated profile isn’t picking up the changes.  See attached ICC and screenshot (left is Photoshop and right is Preview).

Thanks.

p.s. Unrelated but I note DisplayCal 3.3.3 doesn’t show in MacOS LaunchPad.  Weird!  (I’ve run the ResetLaunchPad command but still DisplayCal doesn’t appear).

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Mateus109.
    Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please post a screenshot of the gray gradient I posted above displayed in Preview. Capture the whole window (Shift-Command-4, space, click on Preview window) and attach the screenshot PNG unaltered.

Mateus109
    Participant

Black point only seems to get screwed up after zoom in/out.

First: Quick Look – seems  fine
    Second: Quick Look – black point incorrect after zoom in then out
    Third: Preview – looks incorrect

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Mateus109.
    Attachments:

PeterS
    Participant

ok, yesterday I firstly installed on my imac retina displaycal and used it with i1display pro from xrite.

The installation was strange, but I did it in final….dunno what I did but the app s there 🙂

So I calibrated and have the same issue with OSX sierra…the picture on desktop while I press spacebar is too dark…

Looks like there is no solution so far…so I cannot use this profiles…

Looking forward to see a solution so I can return 🙂

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The solution is for Apple to fix the bug(s) in their graphics libraries and/or applications, and this won’t happen if people don’t report it to them.

Mateus109
    Participant

We’ve reported it to Apple but they keep telling us there are no plans to fix this. I contact them to see if High Sierra fixed the issue and was told not. It’s not a high priority for them to fix.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS