Could it be the SpyderX is not compatible with CCFL backlight?

Home Forums Help and Support Could it be the SpyderX is not compatible with CCFL backlight?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

CALmelion
    Participant

The SpyderX has a limited selection of instrument modes. It’s between 3 types of LED, or Generic, but none of them explicitly CCFL. There also isn’t any colorimeter correction for this very old Wide Gamut display. Another thing that it could be is that this EIZO from years past has a very rough matte anti-glare finish. People were calling it sandpaper. One last thing that could affect things is the RGB gain that had to be adjusted a lot to get to 6500K, resulting in only 140cd/m² max (which is appropriate really).

The result is very desaturated, with a green cast over all colors (so not the usual green tint in shadows).  Because the gamma curves/calibration actually looks okay, it’s the monitor profile to display images that is messed up.

Anyway, just curious as to any theories or solutions.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Patrick1978
    Participant

Another thing to keep in mind is that the phosphors in CCFL backlights fade over time with use.
    I had a wide gamut dell with a CCFL backlight bought in 2012 that I used for 8 years.
    When it was brand new the native color temp was about 6300k but it had slowly gotten warmer till it was around 3500k when I stopped using it.
    It required a huge amount of correction to the red and green channels to get the color temp to 6500k. This lowered the peak brightness to about 80 nits with the brightness turned all the way up which also ruined the contrast ratio.

So yeah the SpyderX doesn’t have the right correction for that type of backlight, but even if you did it may be time to get a new monitor or at least don’t try to use it for color critical work.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Patrick1978.

CALmelion
    Participant

Another thing to keep in mind is that the phosphors in CCFL backlights fade over time with use.
    I had a wide gamut dell with a CCFL backlight bought in 2012 that I used for 8 years.
    When it was brand new the native color temp was about 6300k but it had slowly gotten warmer till it was around 3500k when I stopped using it.
    It required a huge amount of correction to the red and green channels to get the color temp to 6500k. This lowered the peak brightness to about 80 nits with the brightness turned all the way up which also ruined the contrast ratio.

Indeed it’s very warm. Even setting it at 10.000K seems to be a bit warm still, and it looks like it has been in the sun a bit long. As described i managed to get it to 6500K using manual RGB gain though, and it still managed to output 140 cd/m². Don’t know how this compares to nits, but it’s exactly what’s recommended for soft proofing.

So yeah the SpyderX doesn’t have the right correction for that type of backlight, but even if you did it may be time to get a new monitor or at least don’t try to use it for color critical work.

The lack of corrections is unrelated to the aging though isn’t it?

And yes i know i need something new, this is just an attempted rescue of a second monitor though. It’s still pretty nice being 27″ of additional working space.

Patrick1978
    Participant

The lack of corrections is unrelated to the aging though isn’t it?

The ageing would cause a change to the monitors spectral distribution so either a generic wide gamut CCFL correction or even one that was made specifically for your model when it was new would be inaccurate.

If you can rent or borrow a spectrometer you could create your own correction that would allow for accurate measurements with your Spyder X.

You would still have somewhat poor contrast on the monitor after calibrating but otherwise it should be fine.

CALmelion
    Participant

Thanks, i expected it would be something like that. Sadly not worth it then.

Any idea if a more generic profile can be used, without the calibration actually making things worse? Basically just to let color managed software know they’re dealing with a wide-gamut monitor, but accept the display’s native color accuracy.

Because EIZO does provide a “6500K G2.2” profile, but i’m not sure of its intended use. It does not appear very different from having no profile at all.

CALmelion
    Participant

Profile appears to load now after rebooting, but it actually looks quite similar to one created with the Spyder.. ????

Just as flat in color and contrast.

Very frustrating because i know the display is capable of so much more tonality, but after ‘corrections’ even a calibrated sRGB display looks better.

So it’s either neon colors, or no colors with this screen.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS